Author Topic: Kel-tec 9mm pistols  (Read 13083 times)

Kel-tec 9mm pistols
« on: July 20, 2013, 11:29:43 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on them? I know there are issues with them according to some people, but the lc9 is a bit out of my budget right now. it would mostly be a back up pocket pistol 9mm unless someone can recommend something else in the similar price range. I already have a bodyguard .380
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

carter

Re: Kel-tec 9mm pistols
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
Buy cheap buy twice. I would stick with the bodyguard over any kel-tec. Is your budget really so tight that you have spare funds for a kel-tec and not a lc9?  I would be happy with what you have until you can save up for a M&P shield or compact, Glock, Kahr, XD or Ruger.

The practice ammo and enough carry ammo to verify function is going to cost more than any of these guns. When you look at the total cost for employing a new gun, holster, ammo, range time of well over $1000 the difference in price of a Kel-Tec and M&P shield does not seems so much after all.  You should stick with what you have and wait untill you can do it right.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
Buy cheap buy twice. I would stick with the bodyguard over any kel-tec. Is your budget really so tight that you have spare funds for a kel-tec and not a lc9?  I would be happy with what you have until you can save up for a M&P shield or compact, Glock, Kahr, XD or Ruger.

The practice ammo and enough carry ammo to verify function is going to cost more than any of these guns. When you look at the total cost for employing a new gun, holster, ammo, range time of well over $1000 the difference in price of a Kel-Tec and M&P shield does not seems so much after all.  You should stick with what you have and wait untill you can do it right.

Good points,

Considering its a back up its a really great point.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Bmel17

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 04:41:21 PM »
LC9 worked just fine for Zimmerman

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »
I believe it was a keltec Zimmerman used.

Bmel17

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 08:19:20 PM »
You mean a Kel-Tec PF9.

;)

Haha yup. Freudian slip since I have an LC9  :D

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:18:15 AM »
You mean a Kel-Tec PF9.

;)

Haha yup. Freudian slip since I have an LC9  :D

Depending on funds that is another one I am looking at. Seems a bit snappy when I shot one at targetmaster

trevor

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 12:50:32 AM »
Very small and comfy as my edc. Spare mag in other pocket.
Snappy? Yup. I use it enough to keep current , but end up with a raw spot each time.

I find it much more pleasant to use the glock 19 for fun shooting, but can't shove that sucker in a pocket holster in my pocket.

Mine has been nothing but reliable, but ymmv.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 03:33:53 PM »
I'd also suggest trying out a Walther PPS 9mm if you can. Very well built, high quality and reliable handgun. It's a bit more but it's an outstanding little 9mm with a 6 round flush fitting mag and 7 & 8 round extended mags. It's very thin at .9" and I find it has a bit more heft then others of its size which works towards reducing the felt recoil a tad. It'll disappear in the back pocket (w/pocket holster) of my jeans. We're still waiting on our CCDWs but the wife plans on this as her carry. I like the larger PPQ but wouldn't hesitate on this as a backup or for when you just need a smaller firearm.

I've fired off 250 rounds one afternoon through it and I was amazed how accurate and easy shooting it was. No hotspots, chaffing or raw spots on my hand either which for a small gun was very nice.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »
I carry the S&W BG .38.  A lot of stopping power in a +P hollow point, but a light easy to conceal gun.  Yes, only 5 shots, it is murdurous to shoot + P in such a light gun but..............??!!  PRACTICE!!!!  Do I prefer bigger guns, absolutely, but they are hard to hide and I do not like to advertise.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:20 PM »
I own a Kel-Tek P11 and have had no issues with it as of !
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

joek

• NRA Life Member, USCG veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 07:47:16 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on them? I know there are issues with them according to some people, but the lc9 is a bit out of my budget right now. it would mostly be a back up pocket pistol 9mm unless someone can recommend something else in the similar price range. I already have a bodyguard .380

I have a Kel-Tec P-11 for sale if you're interested.

joek

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
Just traded the Kel-Tec in.  It really looked like a toy.

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »
Just traded the Kel-Tec in.  It really looked like a toy.
What did you end up getting and what did they give you on the trade ? $100 if that?
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

joek

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »
I bought a S&W M&P 45. 

The Kel-Tec which I don't believe has ever been shot bought about $100 which was more than fair.  I am not a fan of low quality firearms.