Author Topic: Reloading supplies - primers, bullets and powder  (Read 25291 times)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Reloading supplies - primers, bullets and powder
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:33:25 AM »
Just had a Lee 4-Station Classic Turret Press delivered the other day and want to start reloading 9mm and 45acp to start with. I have 9mm brass by the thousands here as I've picked up and saved most of the casings over the last couple years. A friend shoots .45acp and has been savings the brass for years to reload but never started so he gave me 2000 brass casings, once fired and neatly stored in the original boxes. Now I'm just looking for primers, bullets and powder.

Primers: Anyone have any good local (I'm in Middletown area) sources for CCI #500 Small and #300 Large Pistol Primers?

Powders: Any one carry W-231 or HP-38 locally. Brownell's looks to have the cheapest online hazmat fee though none in stock and I'd rather not pay the fee.

Bullets: Looking for 115 or 124gr 9mm RN and 230gr 45 RN bullets. Do you folks have your favorite online sources? I've heard some good things about acmebullet.com (nice wooden puzzle boxes) , berrysmfg.com , rmrbullets.com , xtremebullets.com & natchezss.com to name a couple.

Preference question: For general range/target shooting what do you prefer.. Jacketed, Plated or Cast Lead? I haven't decided if I want to go Cast or Plated. From what I've seen its not much more to go with plated.. maybe $20 per 1000.

Appreciate any replies, sources and of course any pointers :) I really like shooting .454 Casull (pistol and rifle) which is what pushed me into this though I'm going to learn on the lower pressures first and without the indexing to start.

Thanks

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:34:56 AM by Adrenolin »

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Reloading supplies - primers, bullets and powder
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:27:10 PM »
Check with Chris at @federalfirearm. Also Xring stocks some primers and powder.  There is a probable danger from lead in spent primers so when decapping watch your hygiene and dispose of the spent primers safely. Enjoy your reloading.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »
I've not purchased powder or primers in some time.  As far as bullets..  I was shooting Rainier, then went to Berrys, and now Precision Delta.  We (action pistol shooters @ DSPC) just made a group buy @ Precision Delta.  Not sure what the total count was.

Could call Kings see what they have.  You'll pay PA tax (that would be cheaper than the haz mat fee).
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 04:19:17 AM »
cb.. thanks I didn't know Chris sold reloading supplies.

Just checked out Precision Delta and that FlashPlayer at the bottom playing The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.. My son must have turned up the volume cause I darn near went through the ceiling lol

Thanks again. I'm not in any rush but hope to order supplies in the next month. Still have lots of ammo to shoot and I need to setup an area and workbench in the basement still.

robberbaron

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:12:36 PM »
I also am just getting started in re-loading and have a Lee turret press kit on order from Midway. I am reading 2 manuals to get as much information as I can and don't anticipate large volumes for a while, until I work the bugs out. I am in N. Delaware (less than a mile from the state line) and plan on visiting Targetmaster and Miller's (the one in Marcus Hook) to scope out their supplies and hopefully get pointers. I am not solely doing this to save money, but more because I enjoy tinkering and working with mechanical devices (used to be cars, but too complicated now except for brakes, filters, oil changes, etc.).

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 03:40:37 PM »
I also want to get into reloading 9MM and .223. A novice for sure but want to learn. Who hear will provide training so I do it "right" the first time.
How about a group session?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »
I also want to get into reloading 9MM and .223. A novice for sure but want to learn. Who hear will provide training so I do it "right" the first time.
How about a group session?
Reading the technical section of your reloading manual should be first on your list. I have a Hornady manual that has ~70 pages on reloading.  When you are done, you should be able to answer questions like: What is C.O.L? What is headspace? Why do you need to trim cases? Where is the shoulder?

"Book learn" the terminology and then we can talk about mechanics.  Group sessions usually result in "Hey, I didn't know that!"  Not me, of course. :). Exchanging tips and tricks is beneficial.

New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »
Come on.. Can't we just dump a bit of powder in the case, press in a bullet following by the primer.  ;D

The Lee manual has 150 something pages in the 600+ page manual  dealing with the technical aspects though it also covers each of the Lee presses. I've read it once fully just to see if those other presses have any related info. I'll likely read it 2 or 3 more times and have it open flipping pages often. While I'm very much a hands on learner I understand the value and necessity of study first when dealing with this topic.

Safety First.. We all have to much to loose.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 06:23:39 PM »
Come on.. Can't we just dump a bit of powder in the case, press in a bullet following by the primer.  ;D
Safety First.. We all have to much to loose.
Quite true on the latter.  In the reloading sequence, there are multiple error possibilities.  On the first sentence, if you put the primer in first, there are slow burning powders that, in an emergency, can be dumped in the cartridge case, scraped even with a knife, and while crushing the powder, seat the bullet. Not recommended but is a reason to use slower burning powders to avoid double charging. 

A college roommate couldn't open the bolt on his 7mm Rem Mag after firing one of his reloads.  The bolt handle had driven back into an interference fit with the receiver.  After a few "light" blows on the bolt handle with a ball peen hammer, the bolt could be opened.  I don't recall what the brass looked liked but the primer was undoubtedly flattened and smoked.  He was very lucky.

Learn the procedures and follow them meticulously.
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 03:43:08 AM »
We were up near Christiana Mall last night and then heading towards Newark I popped into X-Ring for the first time. Nice place and nice staff who were very helpful. Hadn't planned on buying anything... we all know how that goes... :) Wife waited out in the truck with our son and I went in.

Had a wall of Powders though most of it was for rifle. I did find some IMR SR 4756 powder for pistol and they had some CCI 500 Small Pistol Primers. Bought 1Lb of powder, a box of primers plus a magazine for one of the wife's handguns.

X-Treme Bullets LLC..  Noticed they have a 10% off coupon for (10offbullet) copper bullets while supplies last and free shipping. I also had a once use 7% coupon so 17% off my order. Bought 1000 9mm and 500 each 45acp, 380 and 38/357.

This should get me started.. once I get a work space finished.

After cleaning up a bit in the basement (vacuuming, painting, etc) I got things straightened up somewhat. Assembled a small bin (30) rack I picked up for cheap. Pulled power over for a new light fixture.. 4 x 48" T8 32w Daylight bulbs. These things toss out 2750 Lumens at 6500k providing a very well lit work area. Ran a hose over from my shop compressor to the desk for a pocket air/blow gun.

I had an old office 'L' shaped wood desk with upper hutch (in pieces) that I moved down into the basement and played 'Puzzle Maker' for about 4 hours the other night putting it back together.. no instructions. 100% disassembled into about 50 wood sections, dozens of metal fasteners, etc.. A few beer and some good 60s/70s Rock were needed! Only issue reassembling it was a lot of the wood pins had been glued and snapped while taken apart. I trimmed them off, drilled new holes, transferred those to the opposing surfaces for the matching hole and found just enough dowel pins in the shop. The top hutch and desktop alone had 13 wooden pins I had to change locations of and re-drill. First drop every hole and pin matched perfectly! Luck.. pure and simple.. and some good measuring.. but I'll take it where it comes! :)

Its very sturdy with a 1" top though its not hardwood. I'll cut a sheet of 3/4 G1S Birch plywood for one side where the press will go. Might add another layer below the desk and cut a section out. Match that to a piece of hardwood, mount the press to that allow it to slide in-between the plywood layers. Drill 2 tapered holes for removable pins. This would allow me to remove and store the press below inside the desk providing me with a great work/cleaning station.

The main desk and hutch will provide a good storage area with 2 lockable sections. Also I'm gonna take an old desktop and LCD screen, install Linux with a virtual MS install and extend the cable over for internet/music/TV. Press area is to the left on the L section with the bins behind it. Below is an area where 2 pullout drawers were but I think I'll add shelves and a door for additional storage.

Anyone have a small fridge for the corner? :)

Blaserman

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 02:47:09 PM »
Seniorgeek    I have ben reloading  for 20  + yrs , more than happy to help.

Tonym

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 12:01:51 AM »
Ive been doing really well at cabelas latley with powder. Theyre usually higer than anyone in town on most stuff but their powder is really reasonable. Ive got tons of unique, titegroup, cfe pistol, 3031, 4227 h110 and win296 these past few months from there. All $20-25 a lb. Theyre primers are kind of high but at least they have them.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 12:08:49 AM »
Seniorgeek    I have been reloading  for 20  + yrs , more than happy to help.

We are moving into a new house in June with a nice garage and work room. As soon as we get settled, I will give you a call.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Kilroy08

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
I know they're not the most popular outfit on here, but Miller's has a bunch of powder on the shelves.

They're on the high side, about $30-40/lb. depending on what you want. Last time I checked they
had an ok assortment of pistol powders and quite a few rifle powders.