Author Topic: Moving to DE  (Read 4983 times)

orangehole

Moving to DE
« on: May 08, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »
I am a PA resident and I am thinking of moving to DE. The lower property taxes and zero sales tax would allow me to buy a bigger house. I already own my PA and FL ccw but I am concerned about the Delaware process. I am not very happy to place my name in a newspaper. Isn't that like a big neon sign that says come rob my house because I have a gun. Also the 5 person in-county recommendation might be difficult. I do not know many people in Delaware and even though I do know some, I am not particularly fond of letting all of them know I even own a handgun. Does the questionnaire ask "How long have you known the applicant?" I have no problem with any fee or training course/qualification but the newpaper thing and recommendations bothers me. How do they deal with people who have no acquaintances in Delaware?

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Moving to DE
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 07:45:24 PM »
So, lower taxes (our taxes are going up btw) and the zero sales tax attracts you to Delaware?  Not sure how much you've read about our little screwed up state, but before you start to think about your carry permit, read the headlines at www.delawareonline.com for the next few weeks.  If I could get my husband to move, I would be outta here. BUT... to answer your question, yes, the application does ask how long they have known you.  You cant avoid the newspaper ad, although you can advertise in some smaller placed depending on where you would live.  Im sure they'd still want references who live in your county to be able to really vouch for you... not just that you've been their neighbor for the last 4 days, :) 

My guess is that its going to take you some time -- like a year -- to be able to get good references and also complete the process, etc. after moving. (Just my opinion).  Once you get all your paper work in (provided you also hand in your certificate from the class) you're looking at an additional 90 days before your permit will arrive -- and that's if everything goes smoothly. 

Just my opinion on all of this.  If it were me, Id stay in PA. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 01:21:05 AM »
Since Moosie beat me to it with your answer I just want to comment on the news paper add. As far as the news paper ad goes it only runs one day and its in the classified. IMO its really not a big deal.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

orangehole

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
I pay almost $6k/year in taxes for a 1200ft 2bedroom tiny house but if I move to delaware, I pay $2k/year for a 4bd 2.5bath single with almost 1acre of land. The same home in PA would run me $10k/year in property/school tax. I know many people claim the pubic schools in DE are very poor but I have no kids and I do not see any in the near future. I much prefer staying in PA but I cannot stand to see my money go down the toilet in taxes where the money could go towards the home. If there are reasons for me to stay put in PA please let me know. Are there plans for increased property taxes? The only reason I would be moving to Delaware is purely financially motivated for me to get a bigger house yet spend basically what I spend now.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »
Well, if you're ok with our screwed up little state and it's $40mil gap in the budget, the beginning of laying off of essential personnel -- paramedics, soon to be police officers, etc. (along with 5% pay cuts for state workers -- county workers Im not sure but I think pay cuts are coming also?), along with the 25% increase on property tax, 21% (i think its 21%) increase from Artesian Water, and the fact that we have 9 million school districts instead of say...  3 that continuously want more money that you as the homeowner pay for each year regardless of the fact that you have kids or not, and then if you're lucky enough to have a pension from your job, PA doesn't tax you on it, DE does -- living in delaware is your best option.  In fact, now that I think about it, yes, please buy a house in new castle county!  You'll be helping to close that $40m gap in the budget that the head moron Chris Coons can't seem to figure out -- so he's taking the Markell way out of everything and just increasing taxes.  Oh, did we point out that crime is becoming more and more prevalent here in NCCo?  I say more prevalent because Im not sure if the actual crime rate has increased, or if the news urinal has started to report more of it. 

That old addage about "you get what you pay for" is true. In PA, you might pay more, but you also get more services! 

And the newspaper thing, it's not a big deal.  Unless you're expecting that a specific person is reading through the announcements looking just for your name, I dont think anyone reads those things. Even if they do, why would they want to come and burglarize your house if they knew you had a gun?  I think it works the opposite way. 

I'm sure you're aware of this, but thought I'd throw it out there... the taxes don't have anything to do with the size of your lot.. its the total square footage of the home. 

Good luck in whatever your decision is.  Oh, if you do find out from the state about the whole references thing, let us know.  I'm sure Im not the only one who would be curious to see what they tell you. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »
...along with 5% pay cuts for state workers...

Actually, it's at least 8%, and there's always the possibility of more being approved. In addition to that, State workers will also being paying more for their benefits.

So, in general, Delaware residents are paying more for various services and commodities, paying more taxes, and making less money.  We’re being charged a premium rate for inferior services and products.

The answer to these problems can be found in your history books…
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 12:13:23 AM »
Thanks, CorBon!  :)