Author Topic: Not "drooling" over R.I.P ammo.  (Read 15369 times)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Not "drooling" over R.I.P ammo.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 06:04:23 PM »
I definitely don't like that round. The splintered off teathered segments, while would certainly hurt, don't look like they would have much in the way of penetration if any at all.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 03:59:30 AM »
A friend of mine, Aaron Cowan, of Sage Dynamics (a firearms training guy) recently had this to say (on instagram) about the RIP round.. I trust his judgement and knowledge on this.

"This round, the "RIP" round is visually stunning...seeing dozens of them punched into ballistic gel was impressive. Here's the problem though (besides the name). Handguns are poor man stoppers when compared to rifles, and a round such as this that is designed to fragment inside the body is not going to do so with sufficient energy to cause the temporary wound cavities you would see with a rifle caliber round...which leaves us with the fact that outside of a strike to the central nervous system, the only means of physiological incapacitation is through blood loss... As this round fragments, the largest source of blood loss is going to be the entry wound (the fragments, even if they were to exit the body which is unlikely, would leave such small exit wounds as to add very little to overall blood loss). Since the entry wound is literally handgun caliber yet the round does not retain all or most of its mass as it enters the body, it loses the advantage of a permanent wound cavity of a preferable diameter to aid in blood loss. Even traditional hollow points are not of sufficient diameter to totally sever arteries in most cases, which is the best case vital hit outside of a CNS hit, so to then rely on a round with even less chance of large diameter tissue/organ/vessel damage is foolish. Bottom line, this round is a gimmick. I have no problem calling out a product that people may depend on for self defense if I believe the product to be disingenuous.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

SCUBA9097

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 01:36:34 PM »
In addition to what Mr. Cowen stated, there is also an increased risk of the fragments that either haven't hit the target or struck shallow/soft areas hitting unintentional targets. As we know, every shot fired carries a potential lawsuit.

With all these combined risk factors, there is also the addition of how a jury (which would have to be presumed to be ignorant on firearms, wounding factors, etc.) would view the appearance and marketing hype of these rounds.

I have stated from day one that they would be a nice addition to my display shelf, but I wouldn't recommend them for defensive carry.

Having said that, if I were attacked by ballistic gelatin...  ;D
Ted Pfirrmann
Owner, Omega Firearms Training
NRA Certified Instructor
Type 1 FFL

SCUBA9097

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
I came across my first independent review of the ammo today. Now I'm not familiar with the reviewer and he puts of a bit of a "odd", used car salesman vibe, but the ballistic results, if accurate, are not too surprising to me.

Take a look at the video and judge for yourself.

http://www.firearmsportal.com/firearms-news/438-rip-9mm-all-the-performance-of-22-lr

Ted Pfirrmann
NRA Certified Instructor
Type 1 FFL

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
Yeah I just watched the same thing over here.. Not looking that great :)

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 03:57:04 AM »
I agree, Scuba and Adrenoline!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 02:08:27 AM »
Adrenolin,

You would probably love to see some of the "display" ammunition I have. Some of the rounds I have were created by major manufacturers 20+/- years ago but never released to the public.

You have some of that up here or back in FLorida?
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 02:00:30 PM »
and here would be one of those reviews Moosie brought up. 100% completely useless review. Watermelons and onions. Still waiting for a JELLO test shot review..

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/02/07/Review-of-RIP-Ammo-Devastating-One-Shot-Protection-For-Women-With-CCWs

SCUBA9097

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 01:01:38 AM »
Adrenolin,

You would probably love to see some of the "display" ammunition I have. Some of the rounds I have were created by major manufacturers 20+/- years ago but never released to the public.

The unique ammo? It's up here since I'll be in Delaware for quite a while.
Ted Pfirrmann
NRA Certified Instructor
Type 1 FFL

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 02:18:51 AM »
Adrenolin,

The unique ammo? It's up here since I'll be in Delaware for quite a while.

May have to check it out sometime if we get around that way. Lori said hi bye the way
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 03:49:03 AM »
Scuba.. I completely missed that post! I like different and more obscure collections. Things people don't usually see. Not sure where you are but I'm in the Middletown/Odessa area.