Author Topic: Reloading .45ACP question  (Read 3797 times)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Reloading .45ACP question
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »
I've been depriming, sorting and cleaning casings lately as I have a light ton of them. Going through depriming the .45ACP I realized most were large pistol primers however I had a lot that also had small pistol primers. Odd since all the books and literature I've read has the .45ACP listed with large pistol primers.

Anyone else notice this? When I start reloading them should I workup loads for each separately or can I follow the same loads? I'm thinking each for safety.. green newbie here :)

Primer related: I have some CCI Small Pistol #500 & Small Rifle #400 being delivered on Monday. Anyone have any CCI Large Pistol Primers #300 they would like to trade?

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: Reloading .45ACP question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 03:29:38 PM »
I have some 45(s) with small primers.  It's a PITA having to look now and sort them.  But
what I am doing is pulling the smalls and placing them in a bag.  When I get enough I will
load them (or when I switch over to small primers).  Right now the machine is setup for
large primers.

When I load them I will be using the same load info as for LPP.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:36:14 PM »
Not sure what reloader you have.  I have several large coffee cans for 9 & 45 LPP.
When I fill a can they go into the tumbler.  Then bagged until I reload.  I do not
deprime before tumbling.  NOTHING wrong with doing it the way you are.

I just shoot / sort / can.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »
I'm using a Lee Classic Cast Turret press.. 4 station. Well I will be once I start. I just got the last of the necessities ;D this week. My depriming I've been doing while kicked back watching a movie, or the like, with the little Lee Hand Press.

To date I shoot and sort it by caliber while sorting my brass from that of the mixed in range stuff. I shoot almost all Sellier & Bellot range ammo, head-stamped S&B, so its pretty easy and quick to sort it from the rest. This way I know all my S&B is once fired. Most of my casings are now deprimed, cleaned, sorted and neatly stored in the original boxes while the rest are in ziplocks. Btw.. S&B casings have a very squared off primer pocket making them a bit different from most other casings to press in the new primers. Just a FYI.

I've read where people tumble both before and after. Since I'm doing it before I simply removed the pin from my Lee depriming/sizing die.

In my depriming the 45s I noticed the difference pretty quickly and separated them out by headstamps. More then most would do I know. :)

ampb5rider

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
I believe Blazer 45's at least some, are SPP. Most likely done to "save cost". It really just muddied the water and slows things down. Like most things to do with Firearms you must be careful!!
NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
MA CCW
Utah CCW
Applied for DE CCDW