Author Topic: Along the lines of lighting.  (Read 5982 times)

Obleo

• Life Member
Along the lines of lighting.
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:03:22 PM »
I worked for years to develop a deploy-able light to illuminate an area without giving my position away.  Then I found this at Lowes.  Then I learned LE has a "light bomb" that does the same with more bells and whistles.

The size of a small egg these things are quite durable, not blinding bright, and too easy to use.  Perfect for tossing down the stairs or into a room when the power is out.  And they cost less than $3.00!  I tossed this one onto a hard wood floor several times without damage to light.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Proud resident of Kent County DE

jstgsn

• Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians.
Re: Along the lines of lighting.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
how does it turn on and off and what type batteries?

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:55:36 PM »
I remember something that looked like that years ago. You'd toss it and a bump to the weighted base turned it on while the illuminated top stayed up and glowed. Early/mid '90s out west iirc. Don't remember what it's focus topic was but they were significantly more then $3 bucks :)

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 01:03:27 PM »
how does it turn on and off and what type batteries?

The bottom (dark half) is steel (or aluminum) with a push button toggle switch in the bottom.  The bottom part is heavy enough to keep the light upright upon landing.  The lights are 6 LEDs and the battery is CR2012 lithium flat type (not as big as a nickle).  Just push the button and toss.

LEDs are amazingly low energy users and have good light emission for their size.
Proud resident of Kent County DE