Author Topic: Reciprocity in all States? Maybe  (Read 18910 times)

seniorgeek

• Life Member
Reciprocity in all States? Maybe
« on: March 14, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
Again a bill for reciprocity across all states have been introduced in the House and Senate. How much support does the version have? Well, I say it will pass the House and did the one in 2011 but fail in the Senate unless the Dems in the Senate feel that this may hurt their reelection campaign. 

http://www.guns.com/2014/03/13/national-right-carry-act-house-allow-50-state-reciprocity/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: Reciprocity in all States? Maybe
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »
In theory I think this is a good idea but there are others who think this will lead to a back door for registration.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »
Not really sure this is a good idea.  For one thing, people  that live in states like Maryland and New Jersey that can't get home state carry permits would be left out in the cold.  At least now they can get Florida, Utah or Arizona permits and carry in a lot of other states.  

Think also about folks from Constitutional carry states like Vermont who do not need a permit.

I would support if any carry permit from any state was valid in any state and residents of Constitutional Carry states were accommodated. Like the new law in Oklahoma.  

If we can get shall issue nationwide then this might be a good idea.  

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:44:31 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »
Seniorgeek is right. It will pass in the House, but Dingy Harry Reid will refuse to allow it on the floor of the US Senate.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

mrjam2jab

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 04:59:02 AM »
Not really sure this is a good idea.  For one thing, people  that live in states like Maryland and New Jersey that can't get home state carry permits would be left out in the cold.  At least now they can get Florida, Utah or Arizona permits and carry in a lot of other states.  

Think also about folks from Constitutional carry states like Vermont who do not need a permit.

I would support if any carry permit from any state was valid in any state and residents of Constitutional Carry states were accommodated. Like the new law in Oklahoma.  

As it's written...a person from say NJ could still get a permit from FL and carry in every state EXCEPT NJ. 
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »

As it's written...a person from say NJ could still get a permit from FL and carry in every state EXCEPT NJ.  

Well that is better.  Report I saw said that you would have to have permit from your home state.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:09:12 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »
Here is a novel idea. If they want to compare CCW's with driver's license then they should also put violations of carrying a concealed weapon on par with driving violations.  Instead of overreacting, give the guy a ticket and not ruin his life because he failed to be aware of a quirk in a law three states over from his own. This of course would apply to only those who are legally allowed to possess and carry a firearm and to the rules of carrying the firearm, not in using them for self defense. That is another matter.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »
I would like to see a "standard" across all states to get a license to carry firearms - same level of training and background check.

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 03:29:29 AM »
Con-1,
      The "standard", should a national one be adopted, is far more likely to resemble a New Jersey/New York/Connecticut/Maryland/California model,
than a more desireable "shall issue" model, used by a majority of the states. I would like to see the same "full faith and credit" treatment of CCW as we see
with Driver's Licenses, but I fear the potential trade-offs, which blue state politicians (and media) are sure to demand, will be painful and counterproductive.
You can expect, at the very least, an "opt out" clause for most of the states listed above. Sorry to be a pessimist.
    Regards!
"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
Yes, a "standard" training and background check that once one passes, the state cannot deny you a license.

The states you mentioned are very different, they don't give you a license unless you prove you have been a victim.....or something like that, and I would hope they would follow such National "standard."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:38:48 AM by Condition 1 »

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »
I am in favor of a firearms proficiency test in that a driving test is required for a drivers license.  I also infer from the 2nd Amendment that since 'militia' and 'bear arms' are in the same sentence, a proficiency with firearms is implied. Firearms proficiency is not prevalent in today's society.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »
I am in favor of a firearms proficiency test in that a driving test is required for a drivers license.  I also infer from the 2nd Amendment that since 'militia' and 'bear arms' are in the same sentence, a proficiency with firearms is implied. Firearms proficiency is not prevalent in today's society.

I think a proficiency test should be required from anyone carrying a forearm.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure states like Maryland, that accept no other states CCW, will opt out. There is a House Bill 62 in Md. now to accept De., Va., and Pa. CCW's and I'll bet it will die or be voted down. They won't let their own people have  a CCW permit, except on rare occasions,(and MD. calls itself a will issue state, what B/S) so why would they let out-of state people carry there.
I hope I'm wrong but time will tell.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 03:27:20 PM »
On the subject of national reciprocity, the "antis" will vote against it, "because it is a state's rights" issue (suiting their agenda).
Cliff Stearns of FL introduces a National Reciprocity Bill in the House each year, for about the past twenty years.  It rarely progresses beyond that.
If it ever succeeded and was approved by the Senate and sent to the President, you can be assured the BATFE would play a substantial role in administering and implementing a national standard for testing (proficiency). We have years of experience in BATFE excesses. If and when we achieve a national standard,
the agenda changes and it is no longer a state's rights issue. If the law will not allow them to set an impossibly high threshhold for civilian proficiency, they can then "tax" it out of existence with onerous, non-refundable application fees or annual taxes for maintaining your CCW. They can also "outwait" you when you apply. I would be happy to see CCW testing administered by the states, under a uniform standard. Part of the DE mandated CCW course is (an informal?) "proficiency" test. PA and UT did not require this, relying instead upon the DE CCW requirements. I understand FL does not require proof of competence with a firearm, either, or it will accept millitary training or hunter safety courses (not certain of the details). If national reciprocity did not come with all of the politically motivated baggage, it would be a good thing. My concern is that it will become politicized, much the same as the IRS and USDOJ have (under some administrations).
          Regards!
"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »

yes, this is all possible...also, the contrary that none of it would happen is also possible and it could be treated like a driver's license.

Also, I could be wrong but Florida does require a training certificate.