State News & Gun News > NRA & National Gun News

Reciprocity in all States? Maybe

<< < (2/7) > >>

Clarence:

--- Quote from: mrjam2jab on March 15, 2014, 04:59:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: Clarence on March 14, 2014, 10:38:56 PM ---Not really sure this is a good idea.  For one thing, people  that live in states like Maryland and New Jersey that can't get home state carry permits would be left out in the cold.  At least now they can get Florida, Utah or Arizona permits and carry in a lot of other states.  

Think also about folks from Constitutional carry states like Vermont who do not need a permit.

I would support if any carry permit from any state was valid in any state and residents of Constitutional Carry states were accommodated. Like the new law in Oklahoma.  

If we can get shall issue nationwide then this might be a good idea.  

--- End quote ---

As it's written...a person from say NJ could still get a permit from FL and carry in every state EXCEPT NJ.  

--- End quote ---

Well that is better.  Report I saw said that you would have to have permit from your home state.

Hawkeye:
Here is a novel idea. If they want to compare CCW's with driver's license then they should also put violations of carrying a concealed weapon on par with driving violations.  Instead of overreacting, give the guy a ticket and not ruin his life because he failed to be aware of a quirk in a law three states over from his own. This of course would apply to only those who are legally allowed to possess and carry a firearm and to the rules of carrying the firearm, not in using them for self defense. That is another matter.

Condition 1:
I would like to see a "standard" across all states to get a license to carry firearms - same level of training and background check.

Siludni:
Con-1,
      The "standard", should a national one be adopted, is far more likely to resemble a New Jersey/New York/Connecticut/Maryland/California model,
than a more desireable "shall issue" model, used by a majority of the states. I would like to see the same "full faith and credit" treatment of CCW as we see
with Driver's Licenses, but I fear the potential trade-offs, which blue state politicians (and media) are sure to demand, will be painful and counterproductive.
You can expect, at the very least, an "opt out" clause for most of the states listed above. Sorry to be a pessimist.
    Regards!

Condition 1:
Yes, a "standard" training and background check that once one passes, the state cannot deny you a license.

The states you mentioned are very different, they don't give you a license unless you prove you have been a victim.....or something like that, and I would hope they would follow such National "standard."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version