Author Topic: Raven Concealment Appendix vs Crossbreed Appendix vs other appendix holsters  (Read 23740 times)

Ginn

I have heard and read amazing things about the Crossbreed super tuck (have one on order), but mostly I plan on carrying appendix.

I have heard good things about the Raven Concealment Appendix Carry Rig, heard some things about the INCOG by G-Code, but haven't heard anything about the Crossbreed Appendix holster.

So far, I'm thinking about getting the Raven Concealment Appendix Carry Rig, but wanted to see what everyone has to say about appendix rigs. I will be carrying from a M&P Shield and possibly a Glock 19 as the largest option. All of these would be at the one o'clock position.

Thanks for any advice and insight.

ThePixelated

I have the same handguns. I want to carry my Glock 19 (Gen4), but I'm waiting for 2 different brands of holsters that I've ordered. An Alien Gear hybrid (for my Glock - lots of good comments about that on glockforum.com) and 2 Zorn Skinny Rig holsters (1 for each of my handguns).

I want to carry appendix, but so far it hasn't been looking for for either gun for me. I'll probably end up using the Alien Gear holster at 3:00 with my Glock.

I have a G-Code/HSP INCOG for my Glock, but I don't think its that good of a holster. I did a lot of research before I bought it and everyone said it was FANTASTIC, but when I finally got it I wasn't too impressed with it. I've also stumbled on a not-so favorable review of it, which was linked from this good review of it. But it all comes down to what works for each specific person.

There are many other holsters out there that people are saying good things about. You just have to try some out and see what works for you.

Other holster manufacturers people have liked:
PHLster - http://www.phlster.com *
N82 Tactical - https://www.n82tactical.com *
Hodges Custom Kydex - http://www.hodgescustomkydex.com/kydex-holsters/ (I follow this guy in Instagram. His holsters look nice.)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:19:02 PM by ThePixelated »

seniorgeek

• Life Member
My favorite holster is my Crossbreed which I use with me S&W Shield. I wear it daily and is vary comfortable.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Ginn

So far I have been using my Gould and Goodrich B890-G27 Inside Trouser Holster for pretty comfortable appendix carry. This holster works well with the Glock 26 and 19, and is also the right size for the M&P Shield.

I also got a Vedder ComfortTuck holster for the Shield that is VERY comfortable, but lacks tight retention. When the holster isn't work, there is very very little retention, but when worn it is OK.

Today, I received a Crossbreed Appendix Carry holster for my Glock 26 / 19 and I am not impressed! This is a large and wide rig. Seems to be designed for 12 o'clock carry due to how wide it is. Retention is good though. My biggest concern is how wide this is. I prefer one o'clock carry with a narrow rig, and this holster does not fit that criteria. The other issue is how high this holster rides. The back of the slide is about an inch to two inches above my belly button. So it's wide and riding high. Not the best situation for a guy with a little bit of a gut. By no means am I that big of a guy (5'7" and 170lbs.)

Comparing the Vedder ComfortTuck to the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe. The Vedder feels softer against the skin out of the bag than Crossbreed, but isn't a big deal as they are both brand new. The Kydex on the Vedder is thinner than the Crossbreed (may contribute to the difference in retention). Speaking of retention, the Crossbreed blows the Vedder out of the water. Hold the Vedder upside down with the gun in it and all it takes is a LITTLE jolt and the gun falls out. The Crossbreed I haven't been able to get the gun to drop out of it with average shaking. The Crossbreed has a good amount of more noticeable retention than the Vedder, but when worn, the Vedder seems to have enough to not cause me too much concern.

Also, the combat cut of the Crossbreed fits a full high tang grip better than the Vedder. The Vedder has a small piece of felt between the metal buckle and the leather to prevent the Crossbreed squeak when moving around. The Vedder seems to be a better put together holster than the Crossbreed and if it wasn't for the decreased retention, it would blow the Crossbreed holster out of the water!

I'm still trying to give it some time with the appendix carry holsters from Crossbreed to see if I will be keeping them. May try a Raven Concealment appendix carry rig to see if that is better than the Crossbreed.

fdegree

Thanks for the reviews.  Please keep us updated on any changes.

I like the appendix carry too, but severely dislike this position when sitting.  How do you deal with the discomfort when seated?
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Check out the Minotaur Neutral Cant Holster for AC. I prefer 3:15 carry and wer their MTAC and found it to be a suburb holster in quality, comfort, adjustability and durability with all day carry. Since I don't AC I can't say anything about the Neutral itself.

I can't bring myself to wear my sidearm that close to the boys. Its like looking down the barrel of your gun. Its just not gonna happen. :)

Great reviews of your Vedder and the Crossbreed. I found the overall construction of the CB Supertuck quite rough on the one I had for a few days. The MTAC was much more refined and was welcomed back.

robberbaron

Ditto on the Gould and Goodrich. My everyday rig for G23 and G26. Comfortable and very inexpensive.

Etrier

I would take a look Phlster for an appendix carry kydex holster.  Jon has improved his production capability over the past month or so which has reduced delivery wait time considerably. 
Kydex Holster Maker

Ginn

I like the appendix carry too, but severely dislike this position when sitting.  How do you deal with the discomfort when seated?

I tend to ride the G&G holster and gun low. So when I sit down, the grip of the gun is actually a little below my gut. I found that if I loosen my pants a little bit more than usual when I'm carrying with this holster, I am tremendously more comfortable. I first tried riding the gun at my normal waist and found the gun to ride too high and place pressure when sitting. Now that I loosened the belt some and run the gun a little lower, it's extremely more comfortable.

All, I will definitely be checking out those options. I really want to find a suitable appendix holster for the one o'clock carry. It was definitely a conscious thought to go that route and took some getting used to psychologically.

Trapper

I have carry my XDS in a Highnoon, Hidden ally. I usually carry at one o'clock, but I change it to three depending on the situation. I think it is very easy to carry all day, super comfortable as well.
Esophageal Atresia Awareness

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Here's the alternative to the Crossbreed. The Hybrid Pro Carry by The Holster Store. Made in USA right here in Florida.
Good price good quality, fast shipping.

http://www.theholsterstore.net/Pro-Carry-Hybrid-p/procarryhybrid.htm

My Pro-Carry series came from there, and I've used it all day, every day for almost 3 years.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

fdegree

I tend to ride the G&G holster and gun low. So when I sit down, the grip of the gun is actually a little below my gut.

Please forgive my ignorance, but looking at this picture from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Gould-Goodrich-B890-G27-Concealment-Trouser/dp/B004WB0T36/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I don't see how the belt clip is adjustable.  So, how do you get the gun to ride low?  I'm just trying to learn, so I can find a way to make this more comfortable.

Plus, what do you do to prevent the barrel from poking you in the thigh while sitting?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:32:31 PM by fdegree »
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

sethinde

My Incog just shipped yesterday for my XDs and I will post my thoughts on here when I get some time with it.  I am very appendix curious and have also read that AC is way more comfortable when the belt is loosened slightly.  I waited 13 weeks for my Incog to ship (quicker than my CCDW) because the company was moving into a new production facility.  Supposedly turn around time will shorten once they get totally settled in the new location.  I will also order the mag caddy if I end up liking the holster and post my thoughts on that too.

Ginn

The metal clip doesn't adjust, but by loosening my belt it rides lower than where I would normally wear my pants. This causes the gun to succumb to the affects of gravity and ride lower. With the right holster it has been working ok for me.