Author Topic: NJ.com: "NJ man’s handgun case before U.S. Supreme Court on Friday"  (Read 4037 times)

Paladin4CA

FREDON — The U.S. Supreme Court will decide on Friday whether it will hear a Sussex County man’s challenge to New Jersey’s handgun carry laws.

The lawsuit, brought by John Drake, challenges the “justifiable need” requirement the state asks for carrying a handgun. It has drawn the support of the National Rifle Association and 19 other states, who see the case as a possible watershed moment for reevaluating how the Second Amendment and state regulations interact.

Drake, a Fredon man who owns and operates an ATM business and who occasionally carries significant amounts of cash, said today that the case could be the first step toward the “Holy Grail of the gun rights movement,” the right to carry.

“If the Supreme Court decides to take the case, it could clarify the right to carry issue for the entire nation, and New Jersey would become ground zero for the gun-rights movement as the scramble of the decade begins,” Drake said this morning.

More at:
http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2014/04/nj_mans_handgun_case_before_us_supreme_court_on_friday.html

For newbies, we might actually hear their decision as soon as Friday afternoon, but most likely this coming Monday.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:47:16 PM by Paladin4CA »
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: NJ.com: "NJ man’s handgun case before U.S. Supreme Court on Friday"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »
Although with the splits 9th and 7th vs the 3rd and 4th circuits this would seem like the type of case the court would take, I predict they will deny cert.  seems they like the status quo.  

But I agree, if they take it, it will be the battle of the century.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: NJ.com: "NJ man’s handgun case before U.S. Supreme Court on Friday"
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »
Waiting but fearful.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Paladin4CA

CERT. WAS DENIED!  >:(

Case was considered 3 times (i.e., original conference and 2 re-listings), but was denied.

Next up: Pantano (via NJ state courts to CA3), and/or Peruta (out of CA9). Palmer (D.C.Cir.) is still awaiting district (i.e., trial) court decision....
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

SteveMiller

Yes, this is very disappointing.  Drake was probably an almost ideal case.
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

groundgrid

• Life Member
I see this as a call to action.
It is imperative that we all work very hard to insure that Pro-2A candidates are elected this November.

The following is a link to the list of candidates currently registered in NCC:

http://electionsncc.delaware.gov/candidates/2014/2014_filed.shtml

Note the lack of opposition in many races & the critical lack of known Pro-2A candidates.

The ineptitude of the AG's office, continual violent crime in Wilmington, slow job growth and the current administration's
push for higher taxes & more spending all make for an excellent opportunity to promote an agenda that will appeal to many Delawareans.

Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)