Author Topic: S&W 642 "Airweight" advice.  (Read 5644 times)

Lfod/Dtom

S&W 642 "Airweight" advice.
« on: April 19, 2014, 03:26:53 PM »
Hey all, just picked up a S&W 642 for summertime pocket carry, and wondered if anyone had some advice on what brand/type of speed loader works best with it. I ordered a Mika pocket holster for it and would like to get an IWB holster for it as well, any thoughts on what works well?
Thanks!
NRA member
Del. CCDW,PA LTCF

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: S&W 642 "Airweight" advice.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:13:33 PM »
I have a S&W 642 and to be honest, I don't think they are compatible with speed loaders. The alignment between the open cylinder and the grips do not allow for it.  You may have to go to speed strips.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:46:23 PM »
I have a speed loader for my S&W Bodyguard .38(J frame 5 shot??), Should be similar.  But not sure how fast reloads are.  I am no Michlik.  I strive for quick accuracy with first two shots, which leaves me 3.  If I need more than 5, I assume one of us is dead or has fled.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:55:05 PM »
The HKS 36-A Revolver Speedloader work great but they do require quite a bit of practice to use quickly. I use these with my SP101 with the thicker Hogue rubber grips without problems. I'd suggest ordering a few Snap Caps for practice.

The HKS 36A fits S&W J-Frames in .38 and .357 and the 10A fits K-Frames in .38 and .357.

Lfod/Dtom

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »
Thanks for the responses! Still waiting on my Mika pocket holster but I did pick up a Bianchi IWB holster that works well. After some research I ordered a Safariland comp 1 speed loader, and it works......not perfectly as the stock grip does get in the way ever so slightly but it will get better with practice! I like the fact that you just push it in and it releases the rounds as opposed to the HKS where you have to turn the knob. Still faster than loading by hand or with a strip though so I can live with it.
NRA member
Del. CCDW,PA LTCF

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »
I'll give the Safariland a shot.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County