Author Topic: What can I give as a good reason to carry concealed?  (Read 19117 times)

gthomas582

What can I give as a good reason to carry concealed?
« on: June 06, 2014, 04:31:27 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I did a search and couldn't find anything. I looked at the application for a CCW and it asks for a reason why you want a concealed carry permit. For me it would be to protect myself and my family. Would that be an acceptable reason to give? If not what should I say?

Matt826

Re: What can I give as a good reason to carry concealed?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
I would put that reason, but also I would include this.  "Due to my expensive hobbies, I carry large amount of money."  You do not have to list how much you carry, to some people $25 is a lot to them.
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I did a search and couldn't find anything. I looked at the application for a CCW and it asks for a reason why you want a concealed carry permit. For me it would be to protect myself and my family and property. Would that be an acceptable reason to give? If not what should I say?

There fixed for ya.  ;) That's the stated legal reason in Delaware and what my wife and I used. For the protection of myself, family and property. Most other extended explanations can open you to a restricted permit. 

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »
When I filed, they said the "one liner" was not detailed enough.  So, in that block I put see attached.
They I typed out 6 or 7 reasons I wanted my CCDW.  We cover this in our class.  Your instructor should
as well.  Do you have a class lined up?

Will PM you what I used.  REWORD it please!  Or add your own, it will give you an idea.

NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 12:06:54 PM »
I dont have my PDF file here.  Will send it to you over the weekend.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

ThePixelated

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I did a search and couldn't find anything. I looked at the application for a CCW and it asks for a reason why you want a concealed carry permit. For me it would be to protect myself and my family and property. Would that be an acceptable reason to give? If not what should I say?

There fixed for ya.  ;) That's the stated legal reason in Delaware and what my wife and I used. For the protection of myself, family and property. Most other extended explanations can open you to a restricted permit. 

That's what I used too and I got my permit in DE.  I think the only thing that would denied by the Superior Court judge, or whoever approves us, is having a criminal record (felony) of some type, including domestic abuse or restraining orders, history of alcohol or narcotics abuse/charges. They seem to skip over some misdemeanor stuff.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 11:19:35 PM »
I know someone who processed applications at some stage was insisting on more information at one time. The problem is that the statement 'for the protection of self, family and property' is the legal reason in Delaware to have a CCDW. Denying it for this alone or asking for other reasons should be questioned.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 02:30:47 AM »
... The problem is that the statement 'for the protection of self, family and property' is the legal reason in Delaware to have a CCDW. ...
Here's the reference.  The final sentence (all caps) seems to be ignored at the Legislative Hall in Dover.
http://delcode.delaware.gov/constitution/constitution-02.shtml#P95_7849
Delaware Constitution, Article I. Bill Of Rights
§ 20. Right to keep and bear arms.

Section 20. A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.

WE DECLARE THAT EVERYTHING IN THIS ARTICLE IS RESERVED OUT OF THE GENERAL POWERS OF GOVERNMENT HEREINAFTER MENTIONED.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 02:21:36 AM »
Thats it yup. I cant think of a better reason to put down for a CCDW application.. "For the defense of self, family, home". This was talked about at our CCDW course and the instructors pretty much said this is what should be used on the application. It shouldn't be questioned. If it is then showing that person the State Code should clear things up.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 10:46:05 PM »
Best reason: Delaware's high violent crime rate per 100 thousand resident. for such a small state we are way up there.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Porthole

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 07:16:31 PM »
When I filed, they said the "one liner" was not detailed enough.  So, in that block I put see attached.
They I typed out 6 or 7 reasons I wanted my CCDW.  We cover this in our class.  Your instructor should
as well.  Do you have a class lined up?

Will PM you what I used.  REWORD it please!  Or add your own, it will give you an idea.

I just found this post. I recently took a CCDW class and the class offered nothing with the actual application process. Years ago I took a Utah non resident class. That class was mostly proper filing of the application.

Do you think the one simple line about personal protection for self and family still stands?

Duane
Thanks,
Duane

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 07:34:37 PM »
I cover not only the requirements but filling the app too.

I would put "For personal protection, protection of property, or both".
This is repeated several times in 1441.

Other questions, phone number in profile.

Now....  Your UT.  Delaware does honor that for NON_RESIDENTS.  Do NOT carry on it in Delaware

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 07:40:44 PM »
Porthole, you've got mail......