Author Topic: M&P Shield 9mm  (Read 17502 times)

Schmenge

M&P Shield 9mm
« on: July 02, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »
I picked up my new M&P Shield from Chris at Federal on Monday night. (Thanks for the great price Chris!) I just got back from the range and put 110 rounds thru it.

First 50 were 124 ball at 1050 fps. Benchrest at 5 yards. Hey, I wanted to see where it would shoot. The first shot went dead center thru the red dot. The next 4 were within an inch. Point of aim was 6 o'clock. Very nice. Next 5 were 10 yards, same point of aim. All 10 ring or very close 9 ring. I finished that box of 50 off hand and shot better with this pistol than I did with full size pistols.

Second 50 were 124 JHP at 1050fps. Pretty much the same results.

Then I fired 10 rounds of Critical Defense. Point of aim matched point of impact at 10 yards. Am I happy or what?!

I did have 3 malfunctions. Two failure to lock open on the last round (one reload and one Critical defense. Not sure if the same mag.) I also had one failure to extract with a reload. The rim was intact. Not sure what happened there.

Anyway, I'm not real concerned about the malfunctions yet. I want to get 3 or 4 hundred rounds thru it.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
Re: M&P Shield 9mm
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:49:21 PM »
nice range report..appreciate you stopping over.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 09:07:46 PM »
Your M&P will work better after a couple of cleaning and a good oiling. It made a big difference for me.
I keep it oiled well. Much smoother operation.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:15:32 AM by seniorgeek »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Schmenge

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:11:02 AM »
The recoil spring is STIFF! It's harder to rack than my XDm45, at least it was on day one.

I've been racking it and leaving the slide locked back at night and it seems to be loosening up a bit. I do keep it well oiled.

I received my night sights (TruGlo tritium) from Amazon yesterday ($66) and called a gunsmith to install them. I didn't hear back from him so I did something I probably shouldn't have done, I installed them myself tonight. I got lucky. They turned out perfectly, no scratches on the slide or sights, centered perfectly, look great. Now if they don't come flying off on the first shot.................................

Anyway, I wouldn't say I'd recommend self installation for everyone, but maybe I'll try my XDm next. Then again, maybe not.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:20:39 AM »
I also installed the TruGlo tritium sites, except I took shield to the gunsmith to have it done.
I am very pleased with the sites. Nice addition to a well made firearm.

I've been racking it and leaving the slide locked back at night and it seems to be loosening up a bit. I do keep it well oiled.

I also left the slide locked back for a few days when it was new and it did make racking easier.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran

Schmenge

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 11:30:08 PM »
I have the worst luck. The is the 3rd of the last 4 guns I've bought that I have to send back to the factory.

This one is in my opinion a bad recoil spring. S&W says 4 to 6 weeks turn around time.

The problem is when I rack the slide back, at about the last 1/4 inch of travel, there is something grinding. Also, occasionally I can't rack the slide all the way back and the round I'm trying to eject will jam. Can't move the slide back or forward at that point, I have to push the round down thru the grip to get it to eject. Strange.

Maybe I should buy a Hi Point.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »
Hey now.. I have 2 Hi-Points in .45 ACP, both of which have been 100% reliable! Having a backup brick is a plus also!  ;D Big, ugly, cheap and heavy but they do work.

Sorry to hear of it needing to be returned. I have a rifle in for repair currently.

Have you looked at Walther handguns? The PPQ, available with paddle or button mag release, or the PPS with paddle? I have 5 of these and they have been 100% reliable from day one. I carry the PPQ mostly but grab the PPS when I want something smaller and thinner which is what the wife usually carries. Honestly, I couldn't say enough about these 2 handguns.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »
Glock 19 or Sig 226.
Just saying....

New Castle County

Schmenge

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 12:54:31 AM »
I went to the range today and shot my Sig 229. I feel better now. I love that gun. I'm not feeling sorry for myself anymore.

About Hi Points...I've seen a lot of videos on youtube with people trying to destroy them but they just keep shooting.

I like the way the Shield shoots. Once we get this little problem solved, I'll be happy again. I'll carry my Sig until it comes back.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Schmenge

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 11:48:16 PM »
The Shield is on the way back to S&W. I'll post when I get it back.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 12:16:26 AM »
All four of our semi-auto pistols are Glocks. We haven't seen any compelling reason to buy a different brand, but we've seen a few reasons not to.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 01:29:38 AM »
Some people like Glocks and other don't. It is a matter of personal taste. They are well made but don't "feel" right in my hands.
So I will continue with the S&W line of pistols.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran

Schmenge

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 03:38:29 PM »
I've bought 4 new guns since the gun market went nuts and 3 have had to go for service. 1Stag, 1 Beretta, and now a S&W. The Sig is the only one that didn't have problems although it has cosmetic issues.

I think all the manufacturers have increased production output more than their QC can handle.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

SteveMiller

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 10:48:54 PM »
I have bought 8 or 10 since things went crazy, and only my XDs went back due to the recall.  I carry a shied which I really like, and LCP the most, and a few other compacts like the G19.  I agree with Adrenolin about the PPQ.  The trigger is up there with a nice 1911 or single action pull of a revolver.  I would definitely carry the PPQ, but have too many other choices in other carry guns in that size that already have night sights and holster for so I will probably continue to use as a frequent range gun.  I would certainly consider a PPS or the CCP down the road as well, but again I am happy enough with my carry guns that it's hard to justify buying another one. 

Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 12:15:13 AM »
The PPS is rock solid with tight tolerances and feels more like a quality metal handgun.. even though it is polymer. The PPS is also made in Walther's Ulm factory in West Germany. The CCP however is being made in the Arnsberg facility which is owned by Walther's parent company Umarex who make air guns. While Walther has their own area and employees here, I'll skip anything from this location for a few years at least. The Walther P22 is also produced in Arnsberg and I had a 20% failure rate with numerous types of .22lr as have many others. Google it and the reviews will show this. I passes and bought the Ruger SR22 which has been 100% dependable. I've had open discussions with a Walther rep who acknowledged QC issues from the Arnsberg facility though they are working to correct this.

Just a bit of knowledge on Walther, their facilities and production. Also to note is with Walther Arms setup in the US now to handle their own distribution and service work, I've been told they are planning a production facility here in the US for some future firearms. It's still some years out but in the initial stages.