Author Topic: The Bug-A-Salt - Today's Assault Weapon for the Tiniest of Pests  (Read 7106 times)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Specs:
Guage: Miniscule
Chamber Size: 1/8"
Action: Pump
Capacity: 50 Shots
Front Sights: Non Adjustable
Rear Sight: Non Adjustable Pop-Up
Safety: Manual
Bore: Smooth
Stock: Pistol Grip
Weight: 1Lb 6.5oz
OAL: 22"
Trigger Pull: 12Lbs
Body Finish: Black & Yellow Plastic
Accuracy Range: About 3 Feet
Affective Range: About 3 - 4 Feet
Shot Size: About a pinch worth

Optional Accessories: Combat Flashlights, Lasers, Ghost Sights, Sling, Breechers Choke, Spare Sale Shaker, Dust Buster

Tired of those flies buzzing your head indoors? We all know we can swat at them all we want but in the end its useless. They put on their evil grin, make a wide turn and buzz right back at you! Now imagine they are unmanned Corporate Drones Spying on you from high over head! Almost as bad right? Grab a 50 round high capacity Bug-A-Salt shotgun and start hunting!

On initial inspection all seems well. I wiped off the shipping dust lubed the internals with a can of compressed air and went searching for a Drone. Of course I couldn't find one! I had to wait until the next day when suddenly that all to annoying Buzzzing sound appeared and zipped by my head causing me to lash out with both hands in a futile attempt to knock it out of the air. I turned and there it was.. The Bug-A-Salt! Shining like a heavenly beacon to save the day! Grabbing it, I stalked the Drone to where it landed on a window for a brief second then flew off again. Not to be out done I followed its sound for another minute where I found it had landed on the top of the door trim.

Up came the untested Bug-A-Salt as I took the elevation, wind speed and distance into account. Slowly I breathed in, then with an ever so slight grin I squeezed back the trigger! Taking the recoil like a champ I watched the drone take a noise dive and crash into the ground below it. With a larger smile I walked off and grabbed the Dust Buster.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: The Bug-A-Salt - Today's Assault Weapon for the Tiniest of Pests
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:27:11 PM »
I was going to suggest that it would be prudent to get a non-resident drone hunting license from the town of Deer Trail, CO but apparently the town residents voted the measure down.  :(
http://time.com/46327/drone-hunting-deer-trail/
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »
I've always wanted a bug buster like that!  Especially for flys!
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:13:41 AM »
I was considering the Deer Trail non-resident license but remembered reading of their lack of kahunas with this vote. Fortunately I believe that at least within my home I still retain complete rights to air space. I'll shoot down any UAV drone in my person confines :)

To be real for a sec.. I kinda laughed this off when I first read about it. Then looked it up again and figured wth and bought 2 of them. We have a neighbor with a private animal farm pretty much in our back yard and at certain times the flies can drive one mad. Fly paper is a pita and most of the fly 'guns' are not much more then gimmicks. The Bug-A-Salt however works, works well and lets be honest.. who of us doesn't want to shoot more :)

It also makes for a great BBQ salt dispenser  ;D

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 03:28:34 AM »
I was considering the Deer Trail non-resident license but remembered reading of their lack of kahunas with this vote.
Ask any kama'aina and they will tell you that the real kahunas had cojones. (Kahuna is a Hawaiian word, defined in Pukui & Elbert (1986) as a "priest, sorcerer, magician, wizard, minister, expert in any profession". ) http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahuna (extra credit: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kama%27aina )
Fortunately I believe that at least within my home I still retain complete rights to air space. I'll shoot down any UAV drone in my person confines :)
Bravo!

...The Bug-A-Salt however works, works well and lets be honest.. who of us doesn't want to shoot more :) It also makes for a great BBQ salt dispenser  ;D
how many $$? Does the salt leave any noticeable residue?
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:55:33 AM »
Yes sir.. my mistake and did indeed mean cojones  ;D

Price depend on what you buy. For one the price is 39.95 however I ordered 2 (their Buddy deal) for 66.00. I couldn't find any valid promo codes. They offer a BBQ special and pack discounts as well.  Their website is http://bugasalt.com. Honestly... I'd be happier if they were in the $25-$30 range but the novelty is certainly a hit and the product seems to be fairly durable.

I don't think it'll leave any amount of residue since it fires pretty softly. At most your left with a 'pinch' of salt scattered around where it hit. I wanted to see just how much salt it shot. I fired it into a zip-lock bag and then figured I'd pour it out onto a dime as a reference and it just covers the dime when flattened out. It really is a very small amount of salt it fires. I don't see this as a huge issue since I'm not running around firing it everywhere and I grab a dust buster for cleanup once the pest is shot, which also cleans up most of the salt.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: The Bug-A-Salt - Still Going Strong!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 08:25:53 PM »
Just as an update this thing rocks.  ;D I put one away when I bought them and the other has been used for 5 months here in Delaware as well as in the truck while on a vacation trip and at my house in Canada. It's been fired perhaps 400-500 times by myself, friends, family and supervised children as young as 4. What surprises me is that it's still working to be honest! It was pulled out late one evening around a large bonfire after drinks had been consumed and it survived the fun antics of a few inebriated Canadians.  ::) My 4 year old hunts down flies outdoors with it and to say he isn't that gentle with it is an understatement. Yet it remains in perfect working condition.

It's a novelty item for sure, it's a bit on the pricy side no doubt, but it is purposeful and by all accounts quite durable. As to its actual usefulness in hunting down houseflies, I'd say it has a 98% hit/stun/kill rate followed by the DustBuster.  ;D

I've purchased a few more as gifts this year to a few friends who enjoyed it back home.