Author Topic: Driving to South Carlonia  (Read 6874 times)

Beretta92

Driving to South Carlonia
« on: August 18, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
We will be driving to Hilton Head, South Carlonia. I know that while passing through Maryland the gun and ammo must be in a locked case in the trunk. I am ok in Virginia and North Carlonia. I can not carry in South Carlonia, what can I do within a rental property where we will be renting for a week? Or should I just leave it home?
Thanks for the help!

MarkB

• Life Member
Re: Driving to South Carlonia
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
You do have another ccw permit from another state?  The Delaware ccw is no longer good in VA.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Beretta92

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 06:55:30 PM »
I have a PA. and Florida non resident permits.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
Not sure if you can do anything about SC.  I just took a look at the SC SLED site and it states that only permits issued to a resident of a state that is recognized by SC are accepted.  That implies that out of state permits for those states are not honored, just the resident permits.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

It appears that the only way you can get an out of state SC permit is to own property in SC.  Otherwise, no permit will be issued to a non-resident.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:15:16 PM by MarkB »
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:00:25 PM »
South Carlonia sound like a resort town in Italy :)
An autocorrect most likely!
New Castle County

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:43:29 PM »
Your Delaware license is good in Virginia.  It is Delaware that does not recognize Virginia due the fact that they allow training on line.  

In South Carolina you can carry from your car to your lodging but not on the street.

In South Carolina you may carry loaded without a permit in a closed glovebox or console.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:45:08 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 12:23:38 AM »
Yep on VA honoring your DE permit. If issued from the state where you reside, it's pretty much good to VA.
Listing of states of which Virginia will grant recognition to valid permit holders:

Delaware
    Minnesota
    Washington
    Wisconsin

Although Virginia will grant recognition, these states may not authorize Virginia permit holders to possess a firearm in their state. You will need to contact each state to determine if they will recognize your Virginia permit.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

furthermore:
As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.  The term “secured” as used does not require the compartment to be locked. OAG opinion 11-111.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 01:14:05 AM »
The last two posts were very useful to my wife and me, as we're driving to Florida next month.
Hopefully, the locking box I ordered will arrive in time to install it in the center console of my Charger Pursuit.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 02:23:19 AM »
Just to clarify the SC code.

Chapter 23, Article 1, Section 16-23-20-9a

"(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance"

http://scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

And 16-23-20-15 and 16-23-29-16

"(15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.

(16) Any person on a motorcycle when the pistol is secured in a closed saddlebag or other similar closed accessory container attached, whether permanently or temporarily, to the motorcycle."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:27:30 AM by MarkB »
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 01:43:17 AM »
Gas is 3.13

Speed limit on I95 is up to 70MPH

Speeding in a construction area is $200 fine and 30 days

Enjoy your visit
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 05:02:28 AM »
So what if a bunch of like minded Delaware CDW permit holders decide to jointly purchase a piece of cheap land in a very rural, middle of nowhere part of South Carolina? Would not all of the participants then be SC land owners & therefor eligible for a SC carry permit?

While not feasible for a single trip, it would be for those who travel through the state regularly.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)