Author Topic: Panera Bread - unless a LEO, leave your guns at home  (Read 6989 times)

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Panera Bread - unless a LEO, leave your guns at home
« on: September 09, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »
"Panera was "respectfully requesting" customers to leave their firearms at home, but will continue to follow state and local firearms laws." USA Today.  Not likely to work well in DE where OC is legal. We were at Panera two days ago; won't be one of my choices now. Another Gun Free Zone!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/09/08/panera-bread-ceo-dont-bring-your-guns-into-our-restaurants/
Bakery-cafe chain Panera Bread has joined a growing list of retailers including Starbucks SBUX and Target TGT  by announcing that customers should leave their guns at home.

The 1,800-outlet, $4.2 billion (market cap) company issued a brief statement on Monday after CEO Ron Shaich spoke to CNBC about the decision:

Within our company, we strive to create Panera Warmth. This warmth means bakery-cafes where customers and associates feel comfortable and welcome. To this end, we ask that guns not be brought into this environment unless carried by an authorized law enforcement officer. Panera respects the rights of gun owners, but asks our customers to help preserve the environment we are working to create for our guests and associates.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:32:48 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

lynch

• Life Member
Re: Panera Bread - unless a LEO, leave your guns at home
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 01:06:40 PM »
Attention thieves and holdup artists:
Please remember that we've told our paying customers to leave their guns home so you will feel the warmth when you rob us!
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »
This seems a bit ambiguous to me. “Should” does not mean “must.” They seem to be joining the others who are trying to straddle the fence and not p1ss off either camp.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:27:01 AM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 08:56:07 PM »
As in every other case, I consider this to not to apply to me. Panera employees will never know I have a pistol, as it's concealed, permitted, and within the law.
New Castle County

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 09:40:21 PM »
It's not a stretch to assume they simply don't want the zombie killers coming in with black rifles.  Concealed is fine with me.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

ThePixelated

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 01:10:15 AM »
"Panera was "respectfully requesting" customers to leave their firearms at home, but will continue to follow state and local firearms laws." USA Today.  Not likely to work well in DE where OC is legal. We were at Panera two days ago; won't be one of my choices now. Another Gun Free Zone!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/09/08/panera-bread-ceo-dont-bring-your-guns-into-our-restaurants/
Bakery-cafe chain Panera Bread has joined a growing list of retailers including Starbucks SBUX and Target TGT  by announcing that customers should leave their guns at home.

The 1,800-outlet, $4.2 billion (market cap) company issued a brief statement on Monday after CEO Ron Shaich spoke to CNBC about the decision:

Within our company, we strive to create Panera Warmth. This warmth means bakery-cafes where customers and associates feel comfortable and welcome. To this end, we ask that guns not be brought into this environment unless carried by an authorized law enforcement officer. Panera respects the rights of gun owners, but asks our customers to help preserve the environment we are working to create for our guests and associates.

They can "respectfully request" whatever they want, like Chipotle and Target, but concealed carry means concealed. I still CCW in Target, Chipotle, Panera, California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory and wherever...

People have been saying, more or less, "my Constitutional rights trump your imaginary rights to feel safe".

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »
To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 Panera's in Delaware(per Panera Locations website). 1 in Newark, and 1 in Rehoboth.  Being from K/C, I have little to no reason to go to Newark or NCC(Liberalville) if I can help it.. I am not a "beach person" so that leaves out Rehoboth. I am 70 years old and never had a Panera bread and just might make it to the end without one. Or at least I'm going to try.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:46:35 PM by SturmRugerSR9 »
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 04:56:33 PM »
Funny thing though. The last open carry that I saw was in the Panera on Kirkwood highway
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 09:09:40 PM »
Many Panera's. Two on Concord pike, one on Kirkwood highway, one at Christiana, one in Newark, etc
Regardless...
New Castle County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 11:19:52 PM »
Not an issue for CCW.

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 03:38:19 AM »
It did a lot of good:

PANERA HOT-LEAD BREAD: Shots fired at armed robbery day after “no guns” announcement
http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=13697&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=panera-hot-lead-bread-shots-fired-at-armed-robbery-day-after-no-guns-announcement

A quick Google search shows that they are regular armed robbery targets.
I have resigned to never being able to understand the minds of some business people.

I'd bet that a show your CDW permit-get a discount policy would decrease their robbery rate by a very significant percentage.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »
I'd bet that a show your CDW permit-get a discount policy would decrease their robbery rate by a very significant percentage.

That is a great idea!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:01:41 AM by Obleo »
Proud resident of Kent County DE

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »
Panera's website (a/o 9-10-13) only shows 2 locations. I guess they don't keep it updated very well.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »
Panera's website (a/o 9-10-13) only shows 2 locations. I guess they don't keep it updated very well.
Snarky comment: Maybe they think that the BGs select their targets using their website?
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.