Author Topic: Will this hurt my chances?  (Read 22709 times)

Five.Slow

Will this hurt my chances?
« on: September 09, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm new to the forum and have done some perusing around before deciding to ask this question because I haven't been able to find anyone with similar circumstances.  Long story short, nearly 20 years ago I was arrested for possession of a controlled substance and elected to take the controlled substance first offenders diversion program to get the charges expunged from my record.  I was only 18 at the time and decided this was the way to go because I didn't want it to follow me around the rest of my life. 

I have started to do a little research now because I want to apply for my CCDW.  I was told when I was released from the program that I did not have to list this as a conviction any longer on my record.  Specifically, here is the exact terminology as written in Delaware Code 4764.

(d) Upon fulfillment of the terms and conditions of probation, including, but not limited to, paying of all costs and fees, and performance of all required community service, the court shall discharge the person and dismiss the proceedings against the person and shall simultaneously therewith submit to the Attorney General a report thereof which shall be retained by the Attorney General for use in future proceedings, if required. Discharge and dismissal under this section shall be without adjudication of guilt and is not a conviction for purposes of this section or for purposes of disqualifications or disabilities imposed by law upon conviction of a crime, except the additional penalties imposed for second or subsequent offenses under § 4763 of this title. Any person who elects to be treated as a first offender under this section shall, by so doing, agree to pay the costs of the person's prosecution as a condition. There may be only 1 discharge and dismissal under this section with respect to any person.

I have had no problem purchasing firearms but my concern is that they will still be able to find this at the Attorney General's office.  Should I prepare to lawyer up if I am denied because of it?  As I read it I am not to be disqualified as if I have been convicted of a crime. 

Secondly,  do I have to check "yes" on the application that I have been found guilty of possessing a controlled substance being the law specifies that charges were dismissed without adjudication of guilt?  If I check "no" will I be committing perjury?  I don't think I would be as I could probably defend my actions.  I would rather just check "no" because I suspect that checking "yes" would get an automatic denial. 

lynch

• Life Member
Re: Will this hurt my chances?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:20:16 PM »
I would think you are OK.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

kent

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »
I don't think you will have any problem. 20 years is a long time. As I read it I would check no but keep a copy of the law just in case the Judge talks to you so you can explain. Tell us when you get your permit.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:36:30 PM by kent »
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »
You May want to go to the Delaware State police station have yourself fingerprinted and get a copy of your criminal background just to see how this was listed to make sure you were not convicted of anything before you submit your paperwork.

If there was an incorrect record entered you can get this straightened out
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:53:27 PM »
You call always call the AG's office and get there input into how you answer this question.
New Castle County

ThePixelated

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 01:17:51 AM »
I'd guess that you should be OK. When I was 20 I was "arrested" for underage consumption of alcohol by the UD Public Safety (this was before they became the UD Police). Dating myself somewhat, 20+ years later I was able to get my CCW earlier this year.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »
As everyone else has said, I think you'd be OK.

But, I will PM you a name to call.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Five.Slow

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »
I left a message with someone at the AG office and also emailed the prothonotary office for guidance.  No response as of yet. 

Five.Slow

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
Just talked to the SBI and was told that the arrest isn't automatically expunged when the charges are dismissed but it should qualify for mandatory expungement if I have not had any criminal proceedings since then.  So...just to be sure I will get my arrest expunged before I apply for my CCDW.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »
Good news. 
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Five.Slow

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »
It's been awhile but I did go and get a report from the Delaware State Police.  The report came back stating that I was eligible for possible pardon on the charges.  There was no option to apply for an expunged arrest.  Is this perhaps because it is technically considered expunged through the first offender's program and sealed except for repeat offenses?  At any rate, they are booking pardon hearings a year out so I wouldn't even be able to schedule a hearing until next December at the earliest.  I'm thinking I should just try to apply and see what happens and be honest on the application and explain the circumstances.  Worse case scenario I get a lawyer for the hearing if I am denied.  Any thoughts?

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 10:04:59 PM »
A pardon would only be for a conviction. For an adult, an expungement would not be automatic but would be up to a judge. 

You said that the paper said you were eligible for a pardon. Was this specific to you or just a form letter?

If you have been able to buy a gun in Delaware then you have not been convicted. 

Assuming that you were not convicted, completed a diversion program,  were 18 when the offense occurred and have had no further trouble, I would say you are OK. 

If you are denied then you can appeal.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Five.Slow

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 08:19:11 PM »
I've dragged my feet long enough so I'm finally going to be submitting my application.  Newspaper article has been run, fingerprints complete, and now I need to fill out the area of the permit application that pertains to reasons why.  I have a few ideas but I don't want to limit myself.  Does anyone have any suggestions that they can send me in a message?  Or, I have a few things I was going to put down if anyone would like me to send them a message to see what they think of them?  Thanks so much for the help. 

Also, as mentioned earlier I have decided to mention my charge from back in 1996 and attached on a separate sheet of paper that I should have been discharged and dismissed after completing the program and listed the Delaware Code number for reference.  Here's hoping it clears with the honesty.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 08:45:54 PM »
Good luck! As for the reason.. "For the protection of myself, family and property". Thats what we and many others used. It is the reason we want a permit for. Its also pretty much whats stated in the Delaware Bill of Rights Section 20 at the bottom of the page.

§ 20. Right to keep and bear arms.

Section 20. A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.

Five.Slow

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 02:44:16 PM »
One more question.  I have a separate sheet of paper with both my explanation of my charge and the reasons I want my permit.  Should I also have this page notarized when I go to the bank?