Author Topic: Carrying a knife  (Read 18175 times)

ThePixelated

Carrying a knife
« on: September 18, 2014, 01:40:04 AM »
I know that one can carry a blade of three inches or less concealed in Delaware... With a CCW permit, can one conceal carry a knife longer than three inches? I have a friend that says one can and I stumbed onto a website (don't remember the URL) that said one could, but only that one site.

Anyone?

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Carrying a knife
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:57:13 AM »
A Delaware License to Carry a Concealed Deadly Weapon is just that.  You may carry any deadly weapon that is legal to possess.   Certainly this includes a knife.  

Weapons that are prima facie illegal such as switchblades may not be carried.

A big Bowie knife would be illegal to carry concealed unless you have a license.  
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:00:08 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 05:29:55 PM »
I believe LEOs and first responders are permitted to carry automatic knives though the rest of us are not... Unfortunately.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:31:58 PM by Adrenolin »

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 11:03:31 PM »
I think the exception to that is a switchblade. They are illegal in Delaware.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

ThePixelated

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 01:06:05 AM »
I think the exception to that is a switchblade. They are illegal in Delaware.

That I know what types of knives are illegal in DE. I was asking about going over the 3 inch limit (folding knife) on concealed carry with a CCW permit.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 02:51:00 AM »
 You may carry over the 3" limit concealed with a CDW license. Of course you may open carry without a licence  any legal knife just as you can a gun ( except Dover for the gun).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:01:43 AM by Clarence »

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 09:31:42 AM »
 It's funny there is little info on what weapons you can legally only if you have a CCDW permit. Here is what we discussed at the firearms safety training class I was required to take for my permit:
Knuckle guard knives and throwing stars are illegal.
 Pepper spray is illegal in NCC.
 An ASP (or expandable baton) or sap is legal with a CCDW.
We didnt go into much detail other than that.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 11:19:44 AM »
It's funny there is little info on what weapons you can legally only if you have a CCDW permit. Here is what we discussed at the firearms safety training class I was required to take for my permit:
Knuckle guard knives and throwing stars are illegal.
 Pepper spray is illegal in NCC.
 An ASP (or expandable baton) or sap is legal with a CCDW.
We didnt go into much detail other than that.
Pepper spray illegal in NCC?  That is something I never heard.  Also I am not a lawyer, but I do not believe that having a CCW license allows you to own anything that otherwise would be illegal.  The license is just for concealed carry.

State law on "concealed dangerous instruments" specifically exempts pepper spray.  

Delaware code 1443:

(a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed dangerous instrument when the person carries concealed a dangerous instrument upon or about the person.

(b) It shall be a defense that the defendant was carrying the concealed dangerous instrument for a specific lawful purpose and that the defendant had no intention of causing any physical injury or threatening the same.

(c) For the purposes of this section, disabling chemical spray, as defined in § 222 of this title, shall not be considered to be a dangerous instrument.

(d) Carrying a concealed dangerous instrument is a class A misdemeanor.

11 Del. C. 1953, § 1443; 58 Del. Laws, c. 497, § 1; 59 Del. Laws, c. 547, § 14; 67 Del. Laws, c. 130, § 8; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1; 71 Del. Laws,
c. 374, § 6.;

Also. Don't believe everything you hear in these classes. A lot of urban legends.
One instructor tell his students that open carry is illegal once you get a CCW.  Another tells students that you must inform policemen if you are carrying

Neither of these are law in Delaware. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:34:45 AM by Clarence »

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 11:56:06 AM »
Dug through the title 11 code and found this:
(5) "Deadly weapon" includes a "firearm", as defined in paragraph (12) of this section, a bomb, a knife of any sort (other than an ordinary pocketknife carried in a closed position), switchblade knife, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, slingshot, razor, bicycle chain or ice pick or any "dangerous instrument", as defined in paragraph (4) of this section, which is used, or attempted to be used, to cause death or serious physical injury. For the purpose of this definition, an ordinary pocketknife shall be a folding knife having a blade not more than 3 inches in length.
Section 222- items 4, 5 6 and 12 seem to clarify things a bit.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:34:38 PM by lynch »
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

ThePixelated

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 08:41:18 PM »
You may carry over the 3" limit concealed with a CDW license. Of course you may open carry without a licence  any legal knife just as you can a gun ( except Dover for the gun).

Thanks.

Paladin4CA

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 05:08:30 AM »
Anyone interested in knives or self-defense should know about (and become a member of) Knife Rights -- they're the NRA for knife rights.

www.KnifeRights.org
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 01:37:30 PM »
It's illegal to carry a stun gun in NCC. Maybe that's what Lynch actually meant?
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 10:42:49 PM »
Nope.. Pepper spray is illegal to own in NCC. Its a county law and has been enforced a few times that I know of though obviously not much due to the fact one can purchase it just about anywhere.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 11:09:13 PM »
If you'll notice the statute 1443 quoted says nothing about guns. That is why Delaware has the DECCW permit. Delaware Concealed Carry Weapons permit. Good for guns, knives (except switchblades) machete, swords, hunting knives and lock blades. If also does not limit how many you can carry.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »
It's illegal to carry a stun gun in NCC. Maybe that's what Lynch actually meant?

I wasn't mistaken; during the classroom part of my firearm safety course. the instructor showed us a PowerPoint slide-show that listed what the state considered deadly weapons and illegal weapons. Pepper spray and stun devices were mentioned as illegal only in NCC. He had a few of both for sale at the time. ;)
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member