Author Topic: Carrying a knife  (Read 18098 times)

SteveMiller

Re: Carrying a knife
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 01:39:03 AM »
I always thought the switchblade law was brilliant.  Really? I have a right to a gun but it's illegal to possess a switchblade.  They are way to dangerous.
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 02:26:22 AM »
SteveMiller I agree although remember its automatic knives.. of which includes switchblades. I used to have an out the front automatic knife as a daily knife and I so wish I still could. They are much safer then any folder for daily use since they are single hand operated. I couldn't believe it a couple years ago when Maryland dropped their state ban on automatic knives. Wish it would happen here as I'd be ordering another ASAP.

Edit.. Or at least provision those of us with CCDW permits to own them at least.

21fred

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 07:18:03 PM »
I am in the market for a new spring assist knife.  I am liking one that has a 3 and 3/8" blade. I would carry it in my pocket with the clip exposed on the outside.  Given that I have a CCW Permit, I am ok in Delaware but my work takes me to PA and NJ and occasionally MD.

I am not familiar with the laws in those states but I wonder if my method of carry is considered to be concealed (since the clip is exposed) and / or if it is worth worrying about.

Any advise?

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 04:05:44 PM »
There appears some argument concerning spring assist and automatic knives.  I own a spring assist and, on the surface, appears to act just like an automatic. Cut myself seven times already. I have heard that regional LE may treat them differently.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 06:01:26 PM »
Always bring a gun to a knife fight.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

21fred

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »
Good advise!  But not always prudent to open a box with a gun, especially in the office!   :D

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Carrying a knife - Kershaw Leek Knife
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 07:27:03 PM »
I've carried one of these for years.. The Kershaw Leek Knife . Touched up on a semi regular basis they are razor sharp. They fit in the pocket easily and comfortably. I removed the small safety and have never had it accidentally open on me. I've had the spring break once (last year) and simply filled out a form on their website and they shipped out a replacement the next day free of charge which was easy to replace. I carry one where ever I go including up into Canada. I've never had any issues.

Well.. except for the day I went to the Trump Rally and was in line for the security check and realized I still had it! I turned and started walking out to take it back to the truck and SS stopped me!  ;D They had seen my family and I as my 5yo was talking to one of them a few minutes prior.. I got a ride to my truck and back in one of the carts they were driving around in that day. It was an interesting experience and the SS guys were surprisingly nice and easy to talk to.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009VC9Y0

also this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DS1XF6

21fred

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 08:17:05 PM »
Funny, Adrenolin, I just ordered one of the LEEKs about an hour ago after much, much research..

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 04:42:17 AM »
Well built knife at a very nice price point. I use mine daily and always have one on me. You'll like it for sure.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 12:07:53 PM »
+1 on the Leek.  Also the Kershaw Blur.  They are sharp!  But if mine ever go back for service
I will include a note DO NOT sharpen! 

Mine are sharpened at a 21 degree angle on an Edge Pro.  Mine with little to no pressure will shave!
The stones for the EP in grit I have for the EP are 220, 400, 800, 1K, 3K, 5K, 10k then onto leather.
Once you hit 1K and up the cutting surface of the blade looks like a mirror.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 05:44:27 PM »
+1 on the Leek.  Also the Kershaw Blur.  They are sharp!  But if mine ever go back for service
I will include a note DO NOT sharpen! 

Mine are sharpened at a 21 degree angle on an Edge Pro.  Mine with little to no pressure will shave!
The stones for the EP in grit I have for the EP are 220, 400, 800, 1K, 3K, 5K, 10k then onto leather.
Once you hit 1K and up the cutting surface of the blade looks like a mirror.

I really want to add a LIKE to this post  ;D

Anyone looking for a very well built utility purposed fixed blade should look at the Ontario Black Bird SK-5 knife. I've abused mine for several years now and simply love the knife. Just bought a new one and gave it to my best friend in Canada last week while visiting and out camping.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 10:43:03 PM »
I hear people say you have to have this knife or that knife, it is the latest and greatest. Actually if you have a good (Schrader)knife, even from your local hardware store and you keep it sharp and have a C/C permit in DE. You're good to go. No need to spend big bucks to get a good knife.
I carry a good lock blade I bought from Walmart 20 years ago and you can shave with it.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 11:08:08 PM »
Not disputing that at all however for a multi-purpose fixed blade that can be abused if needed the knife mentioned is outstanding. A folding blade knife doesn't have the strength of a fixed blade and there are many times when a good solid fixed blade knife is useful. Was just suggesting is all.