State News & Gun News > NRA & National Gun News

What's happening w/NJ Carry Case "Pantano"?

(1/2) > >>

Paladin4CA:
There was a carry case in NJ state courts called Pantano. Since NJ, like a few other states, does not have a RKBA provision in their state constitution, it was being fought using the federal Constitution's 2nd A RKBA. Because of that, after losing in NJ state courts (presumably), they were planning on appealing from the NJ Supreme Court to SCOTUS.

After losing on appeal, the plaintiffs appealed to the NJ SC and the court said they'd hear the appeal. Then, a few months ago, the NJ SC said they had granted review improvidently and said they would not hear the appeal after all.

I haven't heard anything since. Does anyone know if the Pantano plaintiffs can and, if so, plan on appealing to the SCOTUS?

Clarence:
Best thing would be to check with our embattled brethren  over at the New Jersey Second Amendment Society http://www.nj2as.com

They are doing yeoman work to stop anti gun legislation in that  state

Most of us here in little old Delaware avoid going over that bridge. And when we do we make sure we have no guns or ammo and hold our noses.  

mrjam2jab:
Found this:

--- Quote ---A-72-12 IMO the Application for a New Jersey Permit to Carry a Handgun by Richard Pantano (072329)
Does the statutory requirement that an applicant for a permit to carry a handgun demonstrate “a justifiable need to carry a handgun,” N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4(d), violate the right to bear arms under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution?
Certification granted 7/19/13
Posted: 7/19/13
Argued:
Decided May 22, 2014 – Order dismissed as improvidently granted
--- End quote ---

Now, if someone could interpret that last part there....

Paladin4CA:

--- Quote from: Clarence on September 29, 2014, 10:10:57 PM ---Best thing would be to check with our embattled brethren  over at the New Jersey Second Amendment Society http://www.nj2as.com

They are doing yeoman work to stop anti gun legislation in that  state

Most of us here in little old Delaware avoid going over that bridge. And when we do we make sure we have no guns or ammo and hold our noses. 

--- End quote ---
I asked them and ANJRPC weeks ago and neither have replied, so I decided to ask here since I figured you guys would be watching such an important case, esp one from a neighboring state. Guess not....

Paladin4CA:

--- Quote from: mrjam2jab on October 03, 2014, 12:56:06 AM ---Found this:

--- Quote ---A-72-12 IMO the Application for a New Jersey Permit to Carry a Handgun by Richard Pantano (072329)
Does the statutory requirement that an applicant for a permit to carry a handgun demonstrate “a justifiable need to carry a handgun,” N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4(d), violate the right to bear arms under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution?
Certification granted 7/19/13
Posted: 7/19/13
Argued:
Decided May 22, 2014 – Order dismissed as improvidently granted
--- End quote ---

Now, if someone could interpret that last part there....

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I mentioned that in the OP.

NJSC granted Pantano's appeal when there was a chance SCOTUS would take up the Carry issue (the "B" in RKBA) with, IIRC, the Drake case (a SAF case in NJ too). When SCOTUS declined cert. in Drake, the NJ SC then changed their mind and decided not to take Pantano.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version