Author Topic: just moved from PA  (Read 9261 times)

jeep

just moved from PA
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
Well new guy here just moved from PA .While in Pa I had my LTCF now im here and looking for info on getting my del ltcf . Also what does del consider concealed pa considered concealed to be under your shirt/coat. in a car even if it was out in the open such as sitting on the passenger side seat or even on a skateboard horse lawn tractor basically anything other then on foot was considered as concealed.  From what I have read so far its a real pain in the butt to get my del LTCF in pa it was just fill out one form submit it and wait and go pick it up in a few days/weeks     

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: just moved from PA
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 11:55:17 PM »
Hello Jeep, welcome to the forum. (I have a 01 Cherokee Sport).
Not too sure of your question, but in Delaware, concealed means concealed. If on your person, this means in a pocket holster, inside waistband holster, or outside waistband holster covered by a shirt or coat. In a car, it could be under the seat, or in the center console.

You can find the Delaware forms and instructions here: http://courts.delaware.gov/Superior/weapons.stm
You will need five references from the county you are living in.

Cheers!
New Castle County

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 02:03:59 AM »
Yes, Delaware is a very different process than PA.  Your head will be spinning before too long.  We are here to answer any questions you may have and there are a few guys here that can set you up with your training course.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:31:55 PM »
Welcome!

I offer the course.  As those replied above me, the Delaware process is a PITA VS PA.

You're in a slight jam...  Once you've established residency here AZ, FL, and UT are
no longer good to carry here in DE (you need DE first).  You will need the 5 references
from the county you reside in.  I've heard of applicants getting BS because they've not
been a resident for over a year.  But I dont know if that is written anywhere or if it's the
investigator's opinion. 

I'll reach out to one of the investigators and ask the residency question.

If you should have any other questions, please feel free to ask.  Lots of good people here
who are willing to help.

PM inbound with contact info.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 05:22:04 AM »
Welcome. There is no one year requirement law in DE. Thats more crud thats been pushed out from the administration and some investigators. You do need 5 references from people in your county who can and will vouch for your moral character and this could take a bit if you don't know anyone already. The reference forms do ask how long your references have known you so if you just met them I'd definitely hold off. You can use couples so make some friends with neighbors, co-workers (if here in DE) and such quickly. Between moving here, establishing residency and gaining the 5 references required could take you a year anyways.

Delaware's CCDW permit is quite different from PA's LTCF, hence the different name. Its not simply the firearm permit as it is in PA but most any weapon, with a few exceptions.

IIRC, PA's conceal permit was just that and you were not permitted to have the concealed firearm seen. Please correct me if I'm misinformed here. DE doesn't have that restriction and if you're pumping gas on a windy day and it blows open your coat exposing the weapon its not that big a deal.

While its certainly a more detailed process then other states I honestly don't see it being that bad and it could be much worse! The references are the biggest thing. The newspaper ad is a phone call or super quick visit depending on where you live. We popped into the local paper in Middletown while driving through one day. Fingerprints done behind Blue Hen Corporate Center in Dover by the State Bureau of Identification (SBI) was fast and easy, taking about 40 minutes for my wife and I, with no appointment required! Call them before going however as they have certain days where the place is filled with sex offenders being processed. Photos can be done by yourself or pop into Walmart to have done cheap. The 'required' photo size of 1.5”x 1.5” is an approximation and the Prothonotary office told me they get them and cut them down quite often. Most course instructors are pretty willing to get you in fairly quickly from what I've seen.

Note that since you are a new resident you WILL need a FULL & COMPLETE drivers extract from the PA DMV. This isn't the same as you get for employers. I've talked to 2 investigators and was told they require it as part of their background check for new residents. I was told they request this from just about all applicants living in DE for less than 5 years. We had been living here in DE (NCC) for 2 years when we sent in our applications and 4-5 months into the wait we were asked for the extracts. NOTE: This isn't stated on the process thread we have here on the forums or on the state website. If I had known I'd have gotten it and sent it in with everything else at the start.

Sounds like a lot of time but for the most part it could be done in a day aside from the Intent to publish foolishness. The expense is higher up front but afterwards its on par with other state fees. Don't remember the exact amount but i think it cost us about $300 each.

Hope this helps

btw.. which county?

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »
Very good post Adrenolin.  One correction, the PA LTCF Is a license to carry firearms.  You need this to carry a firearm ( not other weapons) concealed on the person or a firearm capable of being concealed ( pistol or revolver) in a vehicle.  Open carry outside a vehicle is legal in PA except in "cities of the 1st class" which is Philadelphia in which case you need to have the LTCF even for open carry.

Important to remember that just having a handgun in a vehicle in PA is illegal unless you have the LTCF. Or the gun is unloaded, encased and you meet several exceptions such as on way to range, moving, etc.  This is actually pretty similar to Maryland and New Jersey except that in PA you can actually get a license to carry and there is broad reciprocity with other states. Not so in those Communist states to our east and south.

If you expose your firearm in PA with the LTCF,  you have not broken any law.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:15:32 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:50:22 PM »
Thanks for that clarification on the LTCF and the issue of weapon exposure.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 02:08:33 PM »
There is no one year requirement law in DE.

Very good write up.  I've looked in 1441, where is this(1 yr)?
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »
The one year seems to be what the AG and/or Judge wants to see. This is not directly stated in the law which in its basic form is over 100 years old.  This is to establish that you are of good character.  This is the "May issue" world.

The newspaper publication and character references were put in the law way before we had computerized criminal background checks, driving records, etc.  
it has of course outlived its usefulness.

I would suggest a call to the AG office to see if the fact that having had a valid PA licence would carry any weight.

There was a case a while ago where an individual that had moved here from Tennessee and had a Delaware drivers license was arrested for CCW even though he had a Tennessee carry permit.

There was an outcry and the Deputy AG as I remember as part of the deal required him to apply for a Delaware Carry permit.

For me the 5 signers was a mornings work. But to a relative newcomer it probably will be impossible to have minimum of one year knowledge of the person to give a valid reference. Perhaps if the five knew you less than a year but you have been carrying without any issues would show you of good character.  

If the application is rejected, perhaps it would go through on appeal to a judge with any common sense.  Very unlikely that a respectable concealed carrier from PA would, solely by moving to Delaware suddenly turn into a homicidal maniac.

I would also take the class first as PA doesn't require it and maybe get Florida first.  

Please keep us informed as to how you make out with this.  

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:08:34 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 07:08:37 PM »
Regarding references: for those known less than a year, try including how often you make contact.  Several of mine were under a year but I worked with them.  They wrote "daily contact" on reference form.  Use with discretion.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

ChrisCar

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 02:11:49 AM »
Hi all.  Total nube here.  Thanks for creating this site. 

I'm in a similar position.  Just moved from NJ and I still work there, so I'm finding it really tough to meet people in my county (NC) -- especially people who are like-minded when it comes to carrying.  I recently joined a pistol club.  Maybe that's something to think about, Jeep. 

Regarding references, I had anticipated that the investigator might be concerned about all my references being such short relationships.  I was thinking I would submit another five affidavits from people in NJ who've known me for years.  I know that technically they wouldn't relevant, but maybe it'll help address his/her concerns.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 02:34:00 AM »
Welcome to you Jeep from Sussex Co. All the best to you.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

lems902

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 03:17:59 AM »
Myself - I lived in DE for less than 1 year (and officially for only about 6 months) when I submitted my application and I obviously did get my permit...and in a somewhat timely manner as far as it goes in NC County.  Now, 2 of my references I had known for years. 

I also took the time to get a certified copy of my driver's abstract from NJ, and included that along with my application.  As it turns out the investigator called me and said "I see you have only lived in DE for a short time.  We are going to want to take a look at your driver's history from NJ".  I told him to looks just a few pages further in the application packet.  He replied "oh.  That's great.  Everything else looks good then." and hung up.  So, I think the fact that I took that extra step may have actually helped - but who knows!  I have heard a number of times that they ask for that, so it certainly shouldn't hurt if you include it in advance of their request.  If I remember, the Prothonotary was somewhat hesitant to take it, but I explained that I had heard from several friends that it has been requested of them so I was just trying to make it easier on the investigator, and she happily added it to the packet!

Anyhow - good luck!!!

New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

kent

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »
Do not make the mistake of going to the Del. State News to have your CCDW application published. The Del. State News will not place your ad in the paper without a copy of the Completed Application for a License to Carry along with your signature. They wanted a copy for their personal records. The application should only be given to the Prothonotary's office. This was a few years ago and their policy may have changed but I do not trust them. Welcome to the forum.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »
Do not make the mistake of going to the Del. State News to have your CCDW application published. The Del. State News will not place your ad in the paper without a copy of the Completed Application for a License to Carry along with your signature. They wanted a copy for their personal records. The application should only be given to the Prothonotary's office. This was a few years ago and their policy may have changed but I do not trust them. Welcome to the forum.

I had not heard that but hope that policy has changed.
I don't know about New Castle county but in Kent and Sussex the best place for your public notice is The Guide; they can do it right over the phone and the cost is around $35.
Welcome jeep.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member