Author Topic: i like your gun, give it to me.  (Read 14657 times)

Condition 1

• Life Member
i like your gun, give it to me.
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

Nice, another gun in some criminal's hands...way to go  ::)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:56:57 PM by Condition 1 »

ThePixelated

Re: i like your gun, give it to me.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »
Read that earlier today. What an genius. Zero training. Zero common sense.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 12:44:57 AM »
Read that earlier today. What an genius. Zero training. Zero common sense.

I don't know how much training or common sense can help with a gun pointed at you. People don't like to hear it but OC makes you a target. OCers fell good about their guns on their hip, political statements, etc. But here is the reality, again.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 01:48:10 AM »
This is only the second case I have heard of this happening. This was not a open carry breakdown, it was a situational awareness breakdown. The mere fact that you are openly carrying does not make you a hard target as some like to think. It is also about how you carry yourself and how aware you are of what is happening around you. I can only speak for myself but if a guy I do not know walks up to me at 2:00 in the morning my situational awareness color code level will go to orange real quick. Asking for a cigarette or to use your cell phone is one of the most used ploys for the BG to get close to his victim. I will automatically assume this guy has ill intentions and proceed accordingly. As Jeff Cooper would say:
In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does 'x', I will need to stop them."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:31:32 AM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:15:49 AM »
Thats semantics. OC certainly can make you a target. This guy was a target. The guy standing in line at a convenience store with his sidearm out in full display is a target when someone walks in armed and sees it right away. Someone sees you with a holstered OC sidearm and they have their firearm out already as they advance, you're more than likely screwed. You are either dead, have your weapon taken (like this guy) or you're one very crazy individual if you attempt to draw, fire and come out ahead. Most of the folks I've seen walking around OCing wouldn't notice a raging bull in a china shop if they walked straight through the place. Situational awareness zero. One of the big arguments for OC is the fact they can draw quicker then from concealed. Sure, in the right situation but its useless when a weapon is already on you... because the bad guy saw your weapon.

I have no issues if someone wants to OC as its their right to do so, however saying it doesn't make them a target I'd disagree with. The bad guy obviously saw this guy's OC sidearm and targeted him specifically for it as there was no mention of any other items taken like his wallet or money. The guys lucky to be alive really.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
As usual I agree 100% with Adrenolin.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 10:05:41 PM »
Agree with Adrenolin 95%, only difference is I don't support OC. He is right on, a person with a gun visible is a target for criminals.

Paladin4CA

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 11:28:43 PM »
Agree with Adrenolin 95%, only difference is I don't support OC. He is right on, a person with a gun visible is a target for criminals.
I want to be able to OC in CA (my state), because if the weather gets hot, I want to be able to remove my cover garment w/o losing my CCW permit (assuming we win the Peruta case and I can get a CCW for mere "self-defense"....).

Similarly, if the wind should blow open my jacket, or I bend/move and expose my CCW, I don't want to lose my permit.

I'd probably prefer to OC when jogging for protection against BGs and/or BDogs.

Last: If I'm out hiking/backpacking, I'd prefer OCing.
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 12:03:53 AM »
I don't care if you carry open or concealed as long as you carry.  I do both. The targeting of an open carrier during a robbery is not a valid argument. That goes along with the "shoot me first" vest myth you hear about. Studies with inmates have shown that when they see an open carrier they will USUALLY move on to another target. I think the reason this is a story is because it goes against the norm. That being said however, BG's are getting bolder and changing their tactics. We might see this happen more and more.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 12:13:23 AM »
I want to be able to OC in CA (my state), because if the weather gets hot, I want to be able to remove my cover garment w/o losing my CCW permit (assuming we win the Peruta case and I can get a CCW for mere "self-defense"....).

Similarly, if the wind should blow open my jacket, or I bend/move and expose my CCW, I don't want to lose my permit.

I'd probably prefer to OC when jogging for protection against BGs and/or BDogs.

Last: If I'm out hiking/backpacking, I'd prefer OCing.

There is a distinction between OCing and your weapon being exposed because of the wind blowing your shirt, etc.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 12:16:27 AM »
I don't care if you carry open or concealed as long as you carry.  I do both. The targeting of an open carrier during a robbery is not a valid argument. That goes along with the "shoot me first" vest myth you hear about. Studies with inmates have shown that when they see an open carrier they will USUALLY move on to another target. I think the reason this is a story is because it goes against the norm. That being said however, BG's are getting bolder and changing their tactics. We might see this happen more and more.

We just have to agree to disagree. I find the argument of being a target valid. Do you have source for the studies you mention?

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 02:19:44 AM »
Do you have source for the studies you mention?

It is mentioned in one of my books. I will look for it when I get back into town Monday.

Sussex County

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 02:40:44 AM »
I do not know if this is the same study I was referring to from a book I have but it says pretty much the same thing.  While this study does not mention open carry specifically it does refer to the criminals knowing if their intended victim is armed.

Fifty-six percent of the felons surveyed agreed that "A criminal is not going to mess around with a victim he knows is armed with a gun;" 74% agreed that "One reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot."

A 57% majority agreed that "Most criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police." In asking felons what they personally thought about while committing crimes, 34% indicated that they thought about getting "shot at by police" or "shot by victim."

The data suggest that criminals may be a little more concerned about being caught by police and imprisoned than about being shot, but meeting the armed citizen clearly elicited fears of being shot. That deterrent effect of citizen gun ownership appeared in their responses to questions about actual encounters. Although 37% of those surveyed admitted that they personally had "run into a victim who was armed with a gun," that figure surpassed the 50% mark for armed criminals, an experience shared by 57% of the active gun predators. And 34% of the sample admitted to having been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim."

Significantly, almost 40% said there was at least one time when the criminal "decided not to do a crime because [he] knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun." Clearly, armed citizens represent a real threat to criminals, a threat with which large numbers are personally familiar, or familiar with through the shared experiences of their fellow outlaws.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2003/the-armed-criminal-in-america.aspx

I am not trying to convince someone to open carry or to justify why I or others do it. It is my personal choice just as how you carry is your personal choice. As I said, as long as you carry.

Sussex County

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 08:39:02 AM »
You have  a nice car, they see it , and want to steel it.
You have expensive sneekers, they see it, and steel it,

Phone, 
Jacket,
watch.

wow, tho, ballsy with the gun thing tho.

But when you flash, they want your cash.
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 03:44:53 PM »
Hawkeye, I've seen that. Also there was a TV show reporting the same thing a while back. The reference though has nothing todo with OC but for houses they may think it is armed, etc. The argument is always the same, IMO. Someone OCing will most likely be a target for being shot first or taken their gun away during a criminal activity. I will grant if the criminal knows someone is carrying a gun and don't think they would have an element of surprise they would walk away, but this is also another argument as the good guy would need the element of surprise on his side.

Please don't take me wrong, as I know this doesn't apply to you. My view of OC is the majority (not all) being cowboys wanna be, in need of attention, etc. I would walk away from any pubic places (except gun stores, ranges, hiking,  your own property, etc.) where people are OCing. I do think a great number of OCers have no firearm training. I would love DE had a cheaper, more accessible way for people to get their licenses.

I do not know if this is the same study I was referring to from a book I have but it says pretty much the same thing.  While this study does not mention open carry specifically it does refer to the criminals knowing if their intended victim is armed.

Fifty-six percent of the felons surveyed agreed that "A criminal is not going to mess around with a victim he knows is armed with a gun;" 74% agreed that "One reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot."

A 57% majority agreed that "Most criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police." In asking felons what they personally thought about while committing crimes, 34% indicated that they thought about getting "shot at by police" or "shot by victim."

The data suggest that criminals may be a little more concerned about being caught by police and imprisoned than about being shot, but meeting the armed citizen clearly elicited fears of being shot. That deterrent effect of citizen gun ownership appeared in their responses to questions about actual encounters. Although 37% of those surveyed admitted that they personally had "run into a victim who was armed with a gun," that figure surpassed the 50% mark for armed criminals, an experience shared by 57% of the active gun predators. And 34% of the sample admitted to having been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim."

Significantly, almost 40% said there was at least one time when the criminal "decided not to do a crime because [he] knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun." Clearly, armed citizens represent a real threat to criminals, a threat with which large numbers are personally familiar, or familiar with through the shared experiences of their fellow outlaws.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2003/the-armed-criminal-in-america.aspx

I am not trying to convince someone to open carry or to justify why I or others do it. It is my personal choice just as how you carry is your personal choice. As I said, as long as you carry.
, , ,
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 06:14:01 PM by Condition 1 »