State News & Gun News > NRA & National Gun News

i like your gun, give it to me.

(1/6) > >>

Condition 1:
http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

Nice, another gun in some criminal's hands...way to go  ::)

ThePixelated:
Read that earlier today. What an genius. Zero training. Zero common sense.

Condition 1:

--- Quote from: ThePixelated on October 09, 2014, 12:23:18 AM ---Read that earlier today. What an genius. Zero training. Zero common sense.

--- End quote ---

I don't know how much training or common sense can help with a gun pointed at you. People don't like to hear it but OC makes you a target. OCers fell good about their guns on their hip, political statements, etc. But here is the reality, again.

Hawkeye:
This is only the second case I have heard of this happening. This was not a open carry breakdown, it was a situational awareness breakdown. The mere fact that you are openly carrying does not make you a hard target as some like to think. It is also about how you carry yourself and how aware you are of what is happening around you. I can only speak for myself but if a guy I do not know walks up to me at 2:00 in the morning my situational awareness color code level will go to orange real quick. Asking for a cigarette or to use your cell phone is one of the most used ploys for the BG to get close to his victim. I will automatically assume this guy has ill intentions and proceed accordingly. As Jeff Cooper would say:

--- Quote ---In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does 'x', I will need to stop them."
--- End quote ---

Adrenolin:
Thats semantics. OC certainly can make you a target. This guy was a target. The guy standing in line at a convenience store with his sidearm out in full display is a target when someone walks in armed and sees it right away. Someone sees you with a holstered OC sidearm and they have their firearm out already as they advance, you're more than likely screwed. You are either dead, have your weapon taken (like this guy) or you're one very crazy individual if you attempt to draw, fire and come out ahead. Most of the folks I've seen walking around OCing wouldn't notice a raging bull in a china shop if they walked straight through the place. Situational awareness zero. One of the big arguments for OC is the fact they can draw quicker then from concealed. Sure, in the right situation but its useless when a weapon is already on you... because the bad guy saw your weapon.

I have no issues if someone wants to OC as its their right to do so, however saying it doesn't make them a target I'd disagree with. The bad guy obviously saw this guy's OC sidearm and targeted him specifically for it as there was no mention of any other items taken like his wallet or money. The guys lucky to be alive really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version