Author Topic: i like your gun, give it to me.  (Read 14658 times)

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: i like your gun, give it to me.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »
I agree with @Hawkeye's "situational awareness" comment which we all need to practice.
Here's an applicable exercise from Jeff Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense Alertness principle.

The great majority of the victims tims of violent crime are taken by surprise. The one who anticipates the action wins. The one who does not, loses. Learn from the experience of others and don't let yourself be surprised. Make it a game. Keep a chart. Every time anyone is able to approach you from behind without your knowledge, mark down an X. Every time you see anyone you know before he sees you, mark down an O. Keep the Os ahead of the Xs. A month with no Xs establishes the formation of correct habits.

And also
Two rules are immediately evident: Know what is behind you, and pay particular attention to anything out of place.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:56:06 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 09:25:45 PM »

Great post, and on this I agree with both of you. Situational awareness is of utmost importance, with or without carrying a weapon, during all activities, and at all times. Again, great post.

I agree with @Hawkeye's "situational awareness" comment which we all need to practice.
Here's an applicable exercise from Jeff Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense Alertness principle.

The great majority of the victims tims of violent crime are taken by surprise. The one who anticipates the action wins. The one who does not, loses. Learn from the experience of others and don't let yourself be surprised. Make it a game. Keep a chart. Every time anyone is able to approach you from behind without your knowledge, mark down an X. Every time you see anyone you know before he sees you, mark down an O. Keep the Os ahead of the Xs. A month with no Xs establishes the formation of correct habits.

And also
Two rules are immediately evident: Know what is behind you, and pay particular attention to anything out of place.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 12:14:19 PM »
Excellent thread. All very good comments. "Situational awareness" is the key point.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »
Excellent thread. All very good comments. "Situational awareness" is the key point.

That's the bottom line.  Knowing what's going on is 1st.  Presence of mind is 2nd.  Just as importantly knowing what to do is next.

I'll add that profiling is at the top of the list.  Not a time for PC.  If a well dressed person demonstrating courtesies wearing a visible sidearm walks into a restaurant I'm impressed.  If anyone walks in with a rifle/shotgun that's trouble.  Anyone with a weapon of any kind mouthing off is trouble.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Paladin4CA

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 05:49:56 AM »
There is a distinction between OCing and your weapon being exposed because of the wind blowing your shirt, etc.

Norman v. State (FL) is the case of a law abiding concealed carry licensee who was arrested and prosecuted in Fort Pierce, FL for violating Florida nearly complete ban on Open Carry after his otherwise lawfully carried handgun unknowingly became unconcealed while walking down the street the first time he carried outside his home with his new Florida concealed carry license.

A St. Lucie County Judge denied all constitutional arguments to dismiss the case against Dale Norman. While the court made findings that the statute is overbroad and is facially vague, the court still issued a conviction on a “as applied” standard.

The County Court judge also did not fully consider the Second Amendment or the Right to Bear Arms under the Florida Constitution; denying those motions to dismiss the case because the question of the right to bear arms "is for someone above the level of this court."

http://www.floridacarry.org/index.php/litigation-32/21-statecourt/70-norman-v-state
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:51:49 AM by Paladin4CA »
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »
There is a distinction between OCing and your weapon being exposed because of the wind blowing your shirt, etc.

Norman v. State (FL) is the case of a law abiding concealed carry licensee who was arrested and prosecuted in Fort Pierce, FL for violating Florida nearly complete ban on Open Carry after his otherwise lawfully carried handgun unknowingly became unconcealed while walking down the street the first time he carried outside his home with his new Florida concealed carry license.

A St. Lucie County Judge denied all constitutional arguments to dismiss the case against Dale Norman. While the court made findings that the statute is overbroad and is facially vague, the court still issued a conviction on a “as applied” standard.

The County Court judge also did not fully consider the Second Amendment or the Right to Bear Arms under the Florida Constitution; denying those motions to dismiss the case because the question of the right to bear arms "is for someone above the level of this court."

http://www.floridacarry.org/index.php/litigation-32/21-statecourt/70-norman-v-state

This is interesting.  The case is ongoing and will be heard by the 4th District Court of Appeals 0n Nov. 6, 2014.  I think the lower court judge didn't want to make a controversial ruling and bounced it to the 4th DCA.  I don't know when the ruling will come down but it bears watching.   
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 03:24:53 PM »
Stating the obvious. If you travel out of the state of DE, follow OGG's example and research the laws of the states you will visit, and carry a copy to show those who may be ill-informed.  IIRC, handgunlaw.us is the gold standard.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »
This is VERY interesting with direct impact to CCW holders. Good post, thanks for sharing.

Paladin4CA

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 02:00:16 PM »

Oral arguments in this case are just about to begin in FL. If you are interested, you can watch live streaming at:
http://www.4dca.org/video.shtml

The briefs are at:
http://www.4dca.org/calendar/briefs/Nov%202014/11-06-14/11-06-14.shtml
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:02:59 PM by Paladin4CA »
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »
The Florida issue is a state issue. Not saying it's not interesting but their laws differ then here in Delaware. Here, we're protected by our laws if a concealed weapon is accidentally exposed by the wind, reaching up, etc. Some states don't allow for accidental exposure at all.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »
What's a "Walter-brand P22............"????  Why do journalists with no interest or education about guns always seem to be the reporters on gun issues???  And the proof reader doesn't know either.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Paladin4CA

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »
The Florida issue is a state issue. Not saying it's not interesting but their laws differ then here in Delaware. ...
This is the National Gun News forum, so it belongs here.

fwiw, IIRC, if they lose at FL CA4 and FL SC, they said they'd seek cert. from SCOTUS. Again, that's national, but it would also be authoritative for DE.
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »
The Florida issue is a state issue. Not saying it's not interesting but their laws differ then here in Delaware. ...

fwiw, IIRC, if they lose at FL CA4 and FL SC, they said they'd seek cert. from SCOTUS. Again, that's national, but it would also be authoritative for DE.

See below as the Delaware Supreme Court unanimously affirmed the fundemental right to open carry in Doe and Boone vs Wilmington Housing Authority.  

"This case concerns the right to keep and bear arms under Article I, Section 20 of the Delaware Constitution. Although Section 20 was not enacted until 1987, Delaware has a long history, dating back to the Revolution, of allowing responsible citizens to lawfully carry and use firearms in our state. The parties agree, as does this Court, that Delaware is an “open carry” state. Like the citizens of our sister states at the founding, Delaware citizens understood that the “right of self-preservation” permitted a citizen to “repe[l] force by force”.
An individual’s right to bear arms was “understood to be an individual right protecting against public and private violence"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:06:57 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Paladin4CA

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 05:12:12 AM »

See below as the Delaware Supreme Court unanimously affirmed the fundemental right to open carry in Doe and Boone vs Wilmington Housing Authority.  

"This case concerns the right to keep and bear arms under Article I, Section 20 of the Delaware Constitution. Although Section 20 was not enacted until 1987, Delaware has a long history, dating back to the Revolution, of allowing responsible citizens to lawfully carry and use firearms in our state. The parties agree, as does this Court, that Delaware is an “open carry” state. Like the citizens of our sister states at the founding, Delaware citizens understood that the “right of self-preservation” permitted a citizen to “repe[l] force by force”.
An individual’s right to bear arms was “understood to be an individual right protecting against public and private violence"
(1) That's GREAT! It may help DEians to push for Shall Issue CCWs the way Ohio did about a decade ago....

(2) Whatever SCOTUS says on a subject trumps whatever a state SC says....
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter