Author Topic: Ottawa Shooting  (Read 12433 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Ottawa Shooting
« on: October 23, 2014, 05:55:20 PM »
Well just goes to show the futility of gun laws.

Reports indicate too that the soldier killed had a gun but no ammo.

Go figure!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:07:36 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Ottawa Shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »
Cpl Cirillo was a reservist who was a ceremonial guard at the Tomb Of The Unkown Soldier in Ottawa. Don't know but doubt that the US soldiers at our Tomb carry loaded weapons while on guard.  The Parliament entry security was too weak to stop the gunman but the Sergeant-At-Arms, a retired RCMP, retrieved his pistol and put an end to the jihadist.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-shooting-a-day-of-chaos-leaves-soldier-gunman-dead-1.2808710
This report mentions a double-barrelled shotgun while some news reports say rifle.
Update 20141023:2219. AP reports that the weapon was a lever-action Winchester, which as a petty criminal, he was permitted to have.  Hmm, BG with an illegal weapon stopped by a GG with a legal weapon. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:22:20 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Paladin4CA

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:21:29 AM »
FWIW I heard on the radio news it was a lever action Winchester shotgun....
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 07:42:53 AM »
No.. its the futility of most gun laws regardless of where. While Canada generally does not allow concealed carry most Americans would be shocked at how many firearms and types are in Canada. We are allowed to own rifles, shotguns, handguns, ARs, etc. Note that in order to do so simply requires taking a short firearms course. Their are limitations such as the ban on easily concealable handguns (barrel under 4 1/8") & 10-round mag limits. Not saying Canada's Pro-Gun organizations don't have a long battle in front of them and many changes should happen. There is a large and rising fight for concealed carry thats getting zero press. I know quite a few people in Canada with handguns in their night tables. Remember, Canada has never had a 2nd Amendment like the US does.. or at least supposedly has.

The location of this shooting nullifies any carry permit here in the US since it happened in a federal building where, even here, we're not permitted to carry. This incident would have likely played out the same here if in DC. Most of the 'display' soldiers here in the US at memorials don't have ammo in their firearms either.

I'd like to point out the hero of the hour though who stopped this from any getting worse. Kevin Vickers - Sergeant at Arms. A man simply doing his job and with class at the same time.

and for a slightly more entertaining photo..

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:46:48 AM by Adrenolin »

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
Thanks Adrenolin.  You are correct that this could have happened exactly the same in the US. 

I see that there is a bill in parlement to abolish the ATT for restricted firearms. 

I guess we should remember too that it is probably easier to get a firearm in Canada than in some US jurisdictions.

As to Canadians having the right to keep and bear arms, as they come from the same English common law traditions as we do, they do have that right. Difference is that our second amendment protects us from legislative usurping of that pre existing right whereas in Canada the last act of parlement trumps any per existing right.

You are quite correct to point out the hero status of the Sergent at Arms.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:10:21 PM »

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »
Looks like some of the progress Adrenolin is talking about is on the horizon:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/firearms-bill-amendments-to-cut-red-tape-unveiled-in-the-house-1.2789996

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 11:53:50 PM »
Lots of good news there. The merging of the possession and the possession and acquisition licences (PAL) is a good move. This will reduce the government overhead as well as make it easier for the people.

The new 6-month grace period is a good start as currently if your license expires your a felon facing 2 years and a 10k fine on the first account.. 5 years on the second. Personally I feel the expiration issue is a money grab and that once issued a license should not expire but can be revoked if needed.. Licensee commits a crime of some type.

I don't understand the "classroom participation" bit as it's already required in order to get your PAL during a 2-day, 16 hour firearms course which includes firearms safety. I'll have to read up on that a bit more.

Reducing the power of each provincial chief firearms officer is a good thing. Allowing the type of control these officers have is not a good thing and happy they are merging the transport authority with a restricted license. There have been thousands of complaints over the years of these officers denying licenses and transport permits due to personal reasons.

Its a start and moving in the right direction. There is a large growth of firearm interest in Canada and a lot of people would like to buy and shoot, however the current laws and requirements stop many.