Author Topic: Handgunlaw.us Seeking Assistance on Carrying Long Guns in Vehicles  (Read 4612 times)

Gary Slider

www.handgunlaw.us is seeking assistance in cataloging all the states laws/regs on keeping a long gun in a vehicle all the time. Due to what is happening in the world and here at home I am seeing the question more and more about carrying a long gun in a vehicle all the time. What just happened in Canada got me 5 emails on the day it happened  and at least one every days since about Long Guns in Vehicles. Loaded/Unloaded. Cased/Uncased. Trunk or back of vehicle or anywhere in the vehicle or not allowed etc etc. Information people would need to stay within the law in their state or a state they travel to with a long gun in their vehicle. Sad to say but it is us good guys/gals that only obey the law but we have to know what they are to stay within them. 

All this info will be assembled and put into one document for all the states. It will be available free for anyone who wishes to view the information. There is no more knowledgeable people to ask than those who live and use firearms in their home state is the reason I am asking this on a lot of different state specific Firearm Forums.
The laws/Administrative Rules Laws on Long Guns can be almost non-existent or spelled out completely. Many times they can be found in the hunting laws. If you could assist Handgunlaw.us with the alpha/numeric code for a state statute or Administrative Rule or a link to the states hunting laws that spell out the states stance on carrying long guns in vehicles it would be greatly appreciated. I have to have something official from a state agency. I would appreciate an email with the info sent to admins@handgunlaw.us as I can miss PM’s etc if possible.

This will takes a few months to gather all this info and catalog it as I have to check everything out. I will post a link to the finished document on every Firearm Forum that I post this request on.  That link will also be added to www.handgunlaw.us Thank you for your time and assistance. Handgunlaw.us  is what it is because of all the assistance I get from those who give me a heads up  on law changes and help me in so many different ways to keep Handgunlaw.us up to date.
Stay Safe,
Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Handgunlaw.us Seeking Assistance on Carrying Long Guns in Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 11:35:58 PM »
Title 7. Delaware Code

§ 708 Loaded firearms prohibited in or on motor vehicles, motorboats or farm machinery.

No person shall have a loaded shotgun or rifle in that person's possession in, against or on any automobile, other vehicle, any piece of farm machinery, motorboat while under power, sailboat while under power, or have any ammunition in the magazine or chamber of such shotgun or rifle except when it is otherwise lawful to hunt crippled migratory birds from a motorboat as permitted by federal law.

This is a fish and game law.  

Bottom line is the gun can be carried around but not with a loaded magazine in the gun or one in the chamber.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:05:48 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

kent

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:29:04 PM »
Title 7. Delaware Code

§ 708 Loaded firearms prohibited in or on motor vehicles, motorboats or farm machinery.

No person shall have a loaded shotgun or rifle in that person's possession in, against or on any automobile, other vehicle, any piece of farm machinery, motorboat while under power, sailboat while under power, or have any ammunition in the magazine or chamber of such shotgun or rifle except when it is otherwise lawful to hunt crippled migratory birds from a motorboat as permitted by federal law.

Bottom line is the gun can be carried around but not with a loaded magazine in the gun or one in the chamber.

As I understand you cannot have any rounds in the magazine even if the Mag. is locked away from the long gun. No loaded magazines in the vehicle.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »
Title 7. Delaware Code

As I understand you cannot have any rounds in the magazine even if the Mag. is locked away from the long gun. No loaded magazines in the vehicle.
I have never heard of it being enforced that way but it sure could be read that way.  Loaded magazines in vehicle on way to or from the range?  Wow!!!  I believe these laws were just downgraded from an unclassified misdemeanor to a violation a month or so ago, but certainly do not want to see anyone run afoul of what appears to be an old anti poaching law.  Of course this does not apply to handgun magazines.  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:52:23 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 12:43:39 AM »
www.handgunlaw.us is seeking assistance in cataloging all the states laws/regs on keeping a long gun in a vehicle all the time...
Stating the obvious for the sake of completeness based on "all the time" phrase.
TITLE 3 AGRICULTURE DELAWARE ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
400 Forest Service
402 State Forest Regulations
http://regulations.delaware.gov/AdminCode/title3/400/402.shtml
8.8 Target shooting is prohibited. Firearms are allowed for legal hunting only and are otherwise prohibited on State Forest lands.
--------------------
3000 Division of Fish and Wildlife
3900 Wildlife  http://regulations.delaware.gov/AdminCode/title7/3000/3900%20Wildlife/3908.shtml#8.3.4
8.3.4   Firearms on Division Areas.

8.3.4.1   It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a firearm on lands or waters administered by the Division from March 1 through August 31, except as authorized by the Director in writing.

8.3.4.2   It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a rifled firearm of any description at any time on those lands bordering the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal and licensed to the Department by the Government of the United States for wildlife management purposes, except that muzzleloaders and shotguns with rifle barrels may be used during deer seasons when it is lawful to use those firearms.
-------------

Title 7 Natural Resources and Environmental Control
9200 Operation and Maintenance Section
9000 Division of Parks and Recreation
9201 Regulations Governing State Parks
http://regulations.delaware.gov/AdminCode/title7/9000/9200%20Operation%20and%20Maintenance%20Section/9201.htm#TopOfPage
24.3 It shall be unlawful to display, possess or discharge firearms of any description, air rifles, B.B. guns, sling shots or archery equipment upon any lands or waters administered by the Division, except by those persons lawfully hunting in those areas specifically designated for hunting by the Division, or those with prior written approval of the Director.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »
Don't even think about getting the directors approval either. Other have tried as did I only to receive a denial letter returned. I was told no director had ever granted written approval and the new director as of last year is parroting the same thing.. If you need help call or find park management or staff.  >:(

Gary Slider

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 07:01:28 PM »
Your input is greatly appreciated. Below is what I am going to list for Delaware. Any feedback you could give me would be greatly Appreciated!

Delaware

Title 7 Conservation Game, Wildlife and Dogs
Chapter 7. Regulations and Prohibitions Concerning Game and Fish
Subchapter I. General Provisions

§ 708. Loaded Firearms Prohibited in or on Motor Vehicles, Motorboats or Farm Machinery.

Title 3 Agriculture Delaware Administrative Code
400 Forest Service
402 State Forest Regulations
http://regulations.delaware.gov/AdminCode/title3/400/402.shtml

8.8 Target shooting is prohibited. Firearms are allowed for legal hunting only and are otherwise prohibited on State Forest lands.
--------------------
3000 Division of Fish and Wildlife
3900 Wildlife  http://regulations.delaware.gov/AdminCode/title7/3000/3900%20Wildlife/3908.shtml#8.3.4
8.3.4   Firearms on Division Areas.

8.3.4.1   It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a firearm on lands or waters administered by the Division from March 1 through August 31, except as authorized by the Director in writing.

8.3.4.2   It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a rifled firearm of any description at any time on those lands bordering the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal and licensed to the Department by the Government of the United States for wildlife management purposes, except that muzzleloaders and shotguns with rifle barrels may be used during deer seasons when it is lawful to use those firearms.
-------------
Title 7 Natural Resources and Environmental Control
9200 Operation and Maintenance Section
9000 Division of Parks and Recreation
9201 Regulations Governing State Parks
http://regulations.delaware.gov/AdminCode/title7/9000/9200%20Operation%20and%20Maintenance%20Section/9201.htm#TopOfPage

24.3 It shall be unlawful to display, possess or discharge firearms of any description, air rifles, B.B. guns, sling shots or archery equipment upon any lands or waters administered by the Division, except by those persons lawfully hunting in those areas specifically designated for hunting by the Division, or those with prior written approval of the Director.

Note: I can find nothing in the Delaware Statutes/Administrative Rules/Hunting Regulations on carrying a long gun in a vehicle except § 708 quoted above.. Delaware law does not even define  Loaded or Unloaded. With no definition Handgunlaw.us recommends as a minimum to have no cartridge in the firing chamber internal or attached magazine or attached to the firearm in any way.
Stay Safe,
Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network