Author Topic: Outrageous Police Behavior  (Read 8378 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Outrageous Police Behavior
« on: November 15, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »
While I normally support the police as they have a tough job and most all deserve our respect, the brass who dreamed up this ghoulish policy deserve our contempt.

This should show us all where registration will lead.

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/buffalo-ny-police-blasted-for-gun-confiscations-from-grieving-families/#axzz3J8gzBYZt

Shame on them!  They dishonor the badge they wear.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:03:37 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: Outrageous Police Behavior
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
They are taking Charlton Heston's words a little too literally.  This is shameful, I have no words to describe this.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »
Let's look at this in a different light. Suppose a person dies and all of their estate (Including a gun or guns) is left to a son or daughter that is either mentally ill or has a criminal record. Under these conditions, the person inheriting the guns could not legally own them. So confiscation on that bases may be a good thing.
But, in general, I think this policy stinks as a blanket policy.
I may be an alternative to have the person inheriting the gun to go through the same steps as someone buying a gun at a gun store, according to that states existing gun laws. If they pass the requirements, give them the gun.
Just seems like common logic to me.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »
Sturm, I think that is the responsibility of the family. I know of a recent case where a relative's grandfather passed away leaving several heirloom shotguns behind.  Knowing that there were questionable relatives who should not get their hands on the guns the grandson confiscated them until the family had a chance to grieve and come to a sensible conclusion as to who should get them.

There are too many variables. My wife's guns are in the same safe as mine. My son has a couple in their as well. More than one of my guns I received from other family members. How are the police going to sort all this out?  They do not know what is mine and what isn't. (of course I do not live in Buffalo so all this is speculative)  Next they will be confiscating cars because someone in the family might have a DUI.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

demark04

• Delaware APA
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:34:58 AM »
My family lives right outside Buffalo. My father passed away in march, and the LEO's took every firearm he had. I had to jump through hoops to get them back. And because it is NY. I had to go through the transfer process through FFL's to get his. 380 transferred to me. Many thanks to Chris at Federal Firearms. I was so P#ssed I had to cut through so much red tape, even to get his long guns back. 
DE, PA, FL, CCDW
New Castle County

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 12:38:25 PM »
Hopefully families will get a heads up from this and move the firearms out of state ASAP. So sad that they would have to go through this.  

But again just shows what licensing and registration can and will lead to.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
My family lives right outside Buffalo. My father passed away in march, and the LEO's took every firearm he had. I had to jump through hoops to get them back. And because it is NY. I had to go through the transfer process through FFL's to get his. 380 transferred to me. Many thanks to Chris at Federal Firearms. I was so P#ssed I had to cut through so much red tape, even to get his long guns back. 

How did they know about the long guns?  I always thought New York only registered and licensed hand guns. 
What an outrage!

fdegree

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 02:33:56 PM »

Don't vilify the police, they didn't write the law.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »
What the police don't tell you is that the law does NOT apply to long guns or that the heirs have the right to sell the firearms or apply to keep them.  If the long guns are taken , that is an illegal action by the police.

http://personalliberty.com/posthumous-gun-confiscation-underway-new-york/
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 12:31:06 AM »

Don't vilify the police, they didn't write the law.
I am not vilifying the police. Only those who would do such a thing. 
Police that infringe on our rights under color of authority especially the top brass who dreamed this up are the guilty parties.

Most police are honest and take serious the idea of "protect and serve".  I would never vilify such officers. 

fdegree

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 01:16:48 AM »
Most police are honest and take serious the idea of "protect and serve".  I would never vilify such officers. 
I suspected that would likely be your position on this topic  ;)  and I agree

I'm going to go off on a slight tangent to the topic of this thread, and address the idea of that "Protect and Serve" slogan that the police tend to use so much.  Many court cases have said the police are not here to "Protect and Serve".  For example:
•   Warren v. District of Columbia, 1981  --  D.C.’s highest court said that it is a “fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.”

•   Bowers v. DeVito, 1982  --  the Court of Appeals, "...there is no Constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen."  The Constitution … does not require the federal government or the state to provide services, even so elementary a service as maintaining law and order.

•   Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 2005  --  The Supreme Court ruled that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

None of this likely to be news to most of you...just thought I would throw it out there.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

demark04

• Delaware APA
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
They knew he had registered pistols, so when my brother opened the gun safe, they took everything. They did not even leave my mom a list of what was taken. Luckily, I knew every weapon he owned. 
DE, PA, FL, CCDW
New Castle County