Author Topic: Question about prior petty Marijuana Possession charge and CCW  (Read 3279 times)

cowcamble

Question about prior petty Marijuana Possession charge and CCW
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:37:27 AM »
Hey everyone. New member here.

I am a 25 year old male looking for get his CCW permit. I own an AR-15 and an AK 47 PAP, as well as my Taurus G2 pistol which is intended for conceal carry that I plan on carrying. So purchasing firearms is not an issue whatsoever. The guys at the Gun store know me by my first name :P

I have a prior marijuana charge on my record from high school (06-07). I was only charged with  less than a gram (it was for a "roach", an already smoked joint). I believe it is a paraphernalia charge and not the substance itself but I could be wrong.

I have recently suffered a serious spinal hernia at work which requires operating and I will be out of commission for awhile and then will not recover to the same strength that I had before my accident, leaving me with anxiety when it comes to defending myself. (I was a power lifter before my accident) so confidence that I can fight off the bad guys is certainly dwindling. I now feel like I cannot adequately protect my girlfriend and family and it's really bothering me !

So my question is will this marijuana charge effect me? There was 2 but one was expelled upon completing probation. I no longer use marijuana and have certainly cleaned my act up. I would really appreciate some responses and look forward to making more posts on the site!

Nice to meet you all!

Kyle
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:44:34 AM by cowcamble »

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Question about prior petty Marijuana Possession charge and CCW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »
You said you were in high school.  How old were you?   Was this in family court?   If you were charged as an adult then was there an actual conviction?  The fact that there were two charges may be a real problem in the mind of the judge.

Juvenile records can be expunged in Delaware.  

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:34:39 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

cowcamble

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »
I graduated when I was 17 so 16 -17 years old. Both were in family court and both were plea bargained with probation. Thanks for the fast response!

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 07:36:05 PM »
If it was family court and you are now past 25 years old should be OK.  You might want to see if you can get an expungement for juvenile record first.  Not sure if it can be done if you have two different charges.

The 25 year old thing is actually on the CDW application.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »
PM inbound.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

cowcamble

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 02:06:26 PM »
Awesome thanks guys. I will definitely start looking into expungement, I wasn't aware if that.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 03:18:07 PM »
Do keep us informed on your progress.  We learn a lot from personal experiences