Author Topic: Checking in from Magnolia  (Read 7963 times)

73Mountaineer

Checking in from Magnolia
« on: December 30, 2014, 04:48:40 AM »
Hey guys (and gals), just joined the forum after I found it while researching the DE concealed carry permit process.  Recently decided to purchase a new CCW pistol so I am figuring out what I want for that also.  Currently have several firearms in the house, but only one pistol currently, a Springfield 1911.

Veteran & former LEO with a reasonable amount of firearms experience, though I by no means think I am an expert.  Have been a permit holder in every state that I have lived in, except Illinois 'cause, well, it's Illinois, and WV because LEOs in WV are allowed to carry on and off duty with no permit required.  Been in DE for about 3 years, so I figure it is about time.  Too many gun crimes around Dover this year to ignore. Have a lot of friends and acquaintances close to Dover PD, so I know they are doing their best, but they can't be everywhere.

Glad to be here & look forward to sharing and learning from the folks around here.

Best,
Steve
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:55:17 AM by 73Mountaineer »
Montani Semper Liberi

Kent County
NRA Life Member

lynch

• Life Member
Re: Checking in from Magnolia
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:45:34 AM »
Welcome from Kent county.
Good luck with the process though you sound good to go with LEO background.
Funny but I was in WV for a few hours yesterday. :)
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:25:35 AM »
Welcome from Middletown. You can open carry, but in Dover you must request a permit from the chief of police. He seems pretty good at honoring those requests.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »
Welcome to the right place if you are pursuing a CCDW permit.  Best of luck.  I also live in Magnolia and am not deaf to the number of home invasions in the area.  Open carry is definitely an option and I would advise you to get a letter off to the City of Dover Chief of Police to have a open carry permit for Dover. By the way, Kent County is a good place to be for fast turn around on your CCDW.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Depending on how long you were an LEO (10 years required) you could go the LEOSA route.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 02:24:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum my brother. There is a very nice bunch of folks on this site and will enjoy it. All the best to you.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »
welcome Steve

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 10:44:20 PM »
Welcome neighbor. Hope you enjoy this forum, but sometimes information found here is opinion, not fact, so a grain of salt is needed.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

73Mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 01:53:59 AM »
Welcome from Middletown. You can open carry, but in Dover you must request a permit from the chief of police. He seems pretty good at honoring those requests.

Yeah, pretty much as long as you aren't a scumbag with a criminal record, he'll sign off on it I believe. He's a good dude, and not anti-2A from what I know.
Montani Semper Liberi

Kent County
NRA Life Member

73Mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 02:08:38 AM »
Welcome to the right place if you are pursuing a CCDW permit.  Best of luck.  I also live in Magnolia and am not deaf to the number of home invasions in the area.  Open carry is definitely an option and I would advise you to get a letter off to the City of Dover Chief of Police to have a open carry permit for Dover. By the way, Kent County is a good place to be for fast turn around on your CCDW.

Good to know about Kent Co. & I hear you about the home invasions.  We live in a good neighborhood & take precautions with home security, but we also had the State Trooper involved in a shooting right up the road a couple of months back & a dead body dumped practically out our back door 2 years ago, so who even knows what is "safe" any more.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone, I appreciate it.  I am open to dealer suggestions in the area for a carry pistol & also any recommendations for DE's mandatory training.  I am sure that there are some supporting vendors here that deserve a look for any purchases and/or are transfer friendly.  I wouldn't want to overlook them.
Montani Semper Liberi

Kent County
NRA Life Member

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »
Welcome from Middletown, Chris at Federal Firearms is the place to go, you will be pleasantly amazed !!!!!!!!!!

It is worth the drive up...and don't be in a hurry, plenty to see..
New Castle County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 10:33:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum, nice choice of firearm btw!