Poll

After cleaning your firearm what do you use?

Oil
18 (62.1%)
Grease
5 (17.2%)
A spray lube
4 (13.8%)
Powdered Graphite
0 (0%)
WD-40
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: lubrication  (Read 28591 times)

turfmn

Re: lubrication
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 10:17:23 AM »
After cleaning I wipe everything down with a little CLP and use lubriplate on any of the high pressure contact areas such as the slide rails, barrel lugs, bolt rails, etc, etc. 

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 01:12:05 PM »
What kind of lube do you use?

Nothing like getting a little personal......

Now it's weapon shield or CLP.  Was Rem gun oil.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

quickdraw

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 12:55:02 AM »
Although my Glock doesn't require cleaning   ;), I do it after every practice session because it's relaxing, fun and offers a chance to inspect the weaon. I love the smell of Hoppes! When I'm ready for some lube I use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. I learned this on another forum and found it to work extremely well. For under $10.00 you can have enough lube to last a lifetime. I also use it on my Walther P22 and S&W 629, rifles, shotguns, even the cams on my bow.

rusirius

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 01:22:27 AM »
I'm late to the party, but just saw this after posting to another topic in here about lube.  I'm a HUGE fan of the Sentry Solutions stuff...

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
I use both oil (FP-10) and grease (TW-25b). After cleaning, I apply a light coat of grease to the rails and a drop of oil on top of it and let it run through the rails. On 1911s I also apply this same combination to the disconnector groove, barrel bushing, slide locking lugs (where it engages the barrel locking lugs).

So I guess my vote is for "Other"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 02:30:01 PM by Condition 1 »

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »
Been using Mil-Comm products. Oil on the internal itty bits, and grease on the slide.
Does anyone use Krytox? Ha!
New Castle County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 02:02:59 AM »

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
Pro Shot sells a synthetic gun oil, which is excellent. It does not dry up like Rem Oil and others. Put it on friction surfaces, take the gun apart months later, and it is still there, not dried up and gummy. You can buy it on line or call them. Just Google Pro Shot.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »
Fluid Film is what I use on all metal, slides, rails and exterior.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »
Never been a fan of Krytox outside the lab.. just a pain to deal with in my experience. 

Adrenolin, what makes you such fan of Fluid Film? 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 09:33:07 PM »
I have been using Mobil 1, works great.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 12:12:36 AM »
  The poll says after cleaning.  bahahahhah.   Jokes for the AK crowd.
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 01:48:09 AM »
QuickDraw, you love the smell of Hoppes?
You are breathing mostly solvents that contain a carcinogen, teratogin, and mutagen. They do throw some citronella in there, which may be what smells good. I only use it outside.
I tried to attach the MSDS, but the "choose file"option only opens to my photos folder on the iPad.
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 03:57:32 AM »

Adrenolin, what makes you such fan of Fluid Film? 

Moosie

To many reasons to actually list however I've used the product for years and it works. Buy it in a spray can, small container with applicator brush or a 1gallon and larger canister. It protects against corrosion better than any other product I've used. I'm into older classic cars and have talked to dozens of people in the US and Canada who use this on their 15k to 250k $ cars. It's used on farms, at sea, on planes and in dozens of other fields. It's easy to apply, doesn't require much, libricates my revolvers shooting 5 rounds through to my ARs shooting 100s of rounds, doesn't evaporate, doesn't wash off easily (without soap), doesn't leave fingerprints, doesn't gum up, doesnt harm plastics, optics, metals, wood, etc etc etc.

It's an outstanding protective product that also lubricates very well. Really after cleaning you could simply likely spray everything, use a cloth to wipe access and polish the external metal parts like the top slide, reassemble and either toss it into a safe for 5 years or hit the range. I don't like a 'wet' firearm! Wet simply allows more dirt, powder, debris, etc to more quickly stick and increse wear. Yes, I understand some will not agree on my view here but oh well. Once applied it doesn't wipe off when removing the access but leaves a very thin protecting film.

Everyone likes a product for whatever their reasons.. I know guys who have used this product for years in extremely harsh environments (farms, logging, Canadian east coast deepsea fishermen, drag cars, etc) and it really works. Shortly after I got into firearms it clicked that instead of using some special 'gun oil' I might be able to use what I always have out in the garage already. A quick Google showed some others using it. Called Fluid Film and asked them about it and was told they fully support its use as a firearm corrosion protectant and lubricant. I started with my Walther PPS and a few 1000 rounds and all was well. Moved on to my ARs then and have never had any issues. Its now used on all my firearms.. the shooters, the stored and the collector items.

It's great all around the house, garage, yard, shop, workbench and cleaning area. Call it my 1 shot solution for everything from corrosion to lubrication, to loosening a bolt, fixing squeaky door hinges, etc. I'm about to order 2 1gal cans to rust protect 4 cars next month. Drop a tarp, drive car on, jack up, place stands!, crawl under and spray on. I do this every 2 years on cars driven daily.

Sigh... Ok so I rambled a bit. I'm away in Canada again, was heading to bed shortly and had a 'few' beer  ;D

Btw.. Lots of moose up here! Lol

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 04:25:42 AM »
Lol, holy moose... That's an infomercial! Lol.

Thank you for your feedback. I have a few lubricants I like depending on the application.  Right now, I'm still partial to EEZOX, but am open to trying a new one when I need to purchase more.  Definitely moves to the top of my list.  :)

What is taking you to Canada again? Hope it's something fun. Don't shoot any of the moose. I hear its like shooting a parked car. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident