Author Topic: Recommendation for Attorney for CCDW application  (Read 7899 times)

ChrisCar

Recommendation for Attorney for CCDW application
« on: February 24, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »
Can anyone recommend an attorney (preferably in N.C. Co.) who is well-versed in the CCDW application process?   

I have not applied yet, but I am anticipating I will have issues because I am new to the state.  As such, my references will be short-term.  A reliable source recently told me that the state likes to see references who've known you for at least 3 years.  I  just moved here last year, so obviously that's not possible. 

I was going to get references who've known me for decades from my home state (in addition to DE references), but I know that they would technically be irrelevant. 

I'm thinking of consulting with an attorney to assist in the application process, that way when/if I'm denied, s/he can move right into the appeal stage. 

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks. 
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Recommendation for Attorney for CCDW application
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 05:26:22 PM »
Just because your new to the state don't expect that to deny you. If everything else is good as are your refs you should be good. Instead of a lawyer get a complete drivers extract from your last state and submit that with your application. The wife and I were here about 18 months iirc when we applied. I'm a Canadian citizen so had to include additional ID and we both received calls to get our drivers extract from NJ. I'd also suggest taking the course beforehand and submitting the completion certificate along with the application as well.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 06:30:19 PM »
I also agree with Adrenolin especially about taking the course first.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

ChrisCar

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 12:26:20 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I've already taken the course with one instructor, and now I'm taking another.  It's the second instructor who said that NCCo looks for references who've known me at least 3 years. 

I already gotten my NJ driving abstract, plus five NJ references who've known me at least 10 years.  I also obtained proof that my professional license is in good standing in three states (i.e. no complaints against me). 

I told the instructor all of that, but he felt it would not help.  I plan to file anyway.  I just want to do everything I possibly can to smooth it through. 

Thanks again.
New Castle County
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

ChrisCar

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 12:32:08 AM »
I should probably also mention that my longest-known reference in DE is only 4 months.  So maybe I would give it a year?  Thoughts?
New Castle County
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:41:06 AM »
PM inbound with a name to call.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

lems902

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 01:51:03 AM »
I had lived in DE less than 6 months (also from NJ) before I applied.  I turned in my certified NJ driver's abstract along with my application, and had no issues at all.  Permit issued in the same time frame as others on here who applied around the same time.  I wouldn't add the expense of an attorney unless there is a reason to later on down the road.  In my personal experience anyway - there was no need!
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

The Sphinx

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 02:56:47 AM »
I wish I would have checked this before I applied today. I sent in my application in Sussex. I have only lived here since February 2 (I moved from Md). I did supply the DE CCW training certificate as well as 4 other certificates (NRA basic pistol and personal protections). I also have 4 non resident permits. all of my references have known me at least a year. Should I be concerned?

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
You will be fine. Your permit should go through fine and have it back in about 90 days based on the current Sussex county return time.
I assume your references are DE references.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:51:38 PM by seniorgeek »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

The Sphinx

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 03:58:34 PM »
Thank you for the response. All of my references are from Sussex county