Author Topic: hello from newark  (Read 9538 times)

Tonym

hello from newark
« on: April 05, 2015, 02:51:33 AM »
I just found this page. I turned in my application last week so itll be 6 months or so before im approved but i thought id read up in the mean time and get the lay of the land.

THANKS

seniorgeek

• Life Member
Re: hello from newark
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 03:29:03 AM »
Welcome to the group. There are many interesting posts to read while you wait.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Tonym

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 03:58:22 AM »
Thanks. I regret not doing this years ago.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 04:07:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Suggest becoming conversant with the DE laws governing self defense. As SG said, peruse the forum for info.  Feel free to ask questions since we learn along with you in the ensuing discussion. It may not be as long a wait as you think.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 02:52:19 AM »
Welcome aboard & Enjoy !
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Zallith

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »
Welcome

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 01:45:33 AM »
Welcome. Do take the time to consider your holster, belt, mode of carry and very important, your clothing.  

You will want to dress to carry depending on your mode.

I initially thought I would carry IWB ( inside waist band) but when the time came (2 months in 2013), I found I just did not like it and I now always carry OWB.  Had to make some clothing changes but this carry seem to work best for me.  

Your belt will be very important.  Choose a good one.

Your mode of carry will of course determine your holster.  Get a good one.

Have you thought about your EDC ( every day carry) gun yet?

I initally planned to carry a compact .40 but switched to a 9mm. Again most important that YOU a are comfortable.  No one else can determine this for you.

Keep in touch!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:47:19 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Tonym

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 02:11:29 AM »
Ive kind of been shopping around on the internet with different guns. So far i feel like a glock 26 has everything im looking for but being someone whos never carried a gun daily and i only really own and have expierence shooting full size, big hand guns, its been a lot to take in.

Oct-march will be very easy for my to keep a gun in the type of clothing i wear anyway but the summer months look like itll be a challenge

I feel like sitting down and driving will be very uncomfortable with a gun in or around my belt any way i position it
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:18:42 PM by Tonym »

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 11:20:21 AM »
If you're in the shopping mode Federal Firearm in Middletown is the guy to go to, just ask anybody. federalfirearm@rocketmail.com,
302-300-0590.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

Tonym

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »
Ive been buying from chris for years. I try and do as much research as i can on my own too.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 04:58:51 PM »
I received my license in middle of summer.  Mrs Clarence stocked me up on square bottom untucked casual shirts that fit the bill nice. Great for OWB.
If you OWB then make sure to get a holster that rides high on your belt. Never had an issue with exposure. Loose fit will minimize printing.

Fall and winter, a nice Carhard vest works fine. Sport jacket when not so casual.

DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 05:19:39 PM »
If IWB is an option given body-type and other preferences, a regular-tailed shirt can be tucked over the holster rendering the G26 virtually invisible.  The draw stroke changes from the hand sweep used to clear a vest/jacket.  A two-handed pull can be used to clear the shirt followed by the draw. This may not work well when a T-shirt is worn under the shirt.  However, after a few carries, your skin should toughen up enough to tolerate the Rough Texture Frame (RTF) of the Glock Gen 4's.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:24:33 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 08:57:48 PM »
Welcome to the group, you will end up with a whole drawer full of different stuff, until you find what fits with the most comfort
New Castle County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 11:35:18 PM »

Good advice.

Welcome. Do take the time to consider your holster, belt, mode of carry and very important, your clothing.  

You will want to dress to carry depending on your mode.

I initially thought I would carry IWB ( inside waist band) but when the time came (2 months in 2013), I found I just did not like it and I now always carry OWB.  Had to make some clothing changes but this carry seem to work best for me.  

Your belt will be very important.  Choose a good one.

Your mode of carry will of course determine your holster.  Get a good one.

Have you thought about your EDC ( every day carry) gun yet?

I initally planned to carry a compact .40 but switched to a 9mm. Again most important that YOU a are comfortable.  No one else can determine this for you.

Keep in touch!

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 11:38:32 PM »
A good holster with a body shield is a must for me regardless of the gun,  besides of protecting your skin it also protects the gun from body oils and sweat.

If IWB is an option given body-type and other preferences, a regular-tailed shirt can be tucked over the holster rendering the G26 virtually invisible.  The draw stroke changes from the hand sweep used to clear a vest/jacket.  A two-handed pull can be used to clear the shirt followed by the draw. This may not work well when a T-shirt is worn under the shirt.  However, after a few carries, your skin should toughen up enough to tolerate the Rough Texture Frame (RTF) of the Glock Gen 4's.