Author Topic: Please educate me - Striker fired guns  (Read 9675 times)

jaep1911

Please educate me - Striker fired guns
« on: February 15, 2016, 09:05:28 PM »
Hello

Just got a permit and started looking for a gun to carry. I have never owned a striker fired gun (been shooting 1911s and CZs) but since there are so many striker fired compact guns out there these days, I am considering them while my top choice is one with a de-cocker (e.g., CZ PCR, P99C).

Let me ask you these basic questions:

when the slide is racked and gun is loaded, the striker is cocked but not FULLY cocked. Is this correct?

Does the "partially-cocked" striker have an enough force to detonate the primer if it decides to slip off from the connector and hit the primer without the trigger being pressed all the way? I am not sure if this scenario is even valid, though.

Basically I am wondering if a striker fired gun could go off in a holster in a very worst case. I have determined that the best carry position for me is the appendix position and I want to minimize risks by al means, including the one between my ears.

Thanks in advance.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Please educate me - Striker fired guns
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 09:16:03 PM »
Virtually all modern firearms have a striker/hammer safety: "A spring-loaded pin attached by an extension bar to the trigger assembly blocks the striker from striking the primer of the cartridge until the trigger is pulled".
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:52:38 PM »
The classic striker-fired pistol, the Glock, is mostly cocked when loaded & racked. The last few millimeters of trigger pull completes the cocking just before the sear breaks.
It is almost impossible for an unmodified Glock to fire until the trigger safety is depressed and the trigger is pulled.

If the trigger is enclosed by a holster, a negligent discharge is extremely unlikely.

As for other striker-fired guns, I don't know... because I stopped shopping for other brands after I bought my 10mm Glocks.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Tonym

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 11:15:50 PM »
Ive seen the insides of glocks and some of the newer striker hk's. I would trust their designs. Theres a lot of "economy" guns flooding the market now a days though

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 03:38:20 AM »
Not really an issue with today's designs and better manufacturers. I've been carrying the PPQ, which is fully cocked, for 3 years now from morning to bedtime. The thing gets knocked on nearly everyday between camping, cycling, motorcycle crashes, rolling and flipping around on the ground playing with my son, crawling in and under the cars or truck in the garage, etc. As said above, as long at the trigger is fully concealed and protected inside a holster there is virtually no chance of an AD. They all have built in safeties to prevent mishaps.

That P99C is a great choice if you want the decocker or just go with a PPQ or the smaller PPS. All spectacular firearms that don't get the recognition they deserve.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »
My own experience.  Trigger pull for classic revolvers= 4lbs.  1911 clones= 5lbs and S&W striker tech= 7lbs.  All good, and I'm sure for good reason, but I do like lighter triggers.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 09:42:58 AM »
All my stock revolvers have 7+lb pulls. The PPQ and Glock 19 have roughly 5.25-5.5lb stock pulls though. I know S&W have heavier springs in their striker guns. The Colt and Ruger 1911s I have are each right around 5lb pulls on stock triggers.

jaep1911..
I know its arguable but the trigger in the Walther PPQ is the best striker fired trigger you're likely to find. Pretty much any online review will mention this. The P99 with its decocker follows the PPQ, though it has a heavier initial pull when decocked. If you're interested in a striker fired handgun I'd suggest you try and get your hands on one of these and see for yourself  ;D

as for safety.. a striker fired (even the fully cocked ones) are just as safe as any 1911 cocked'n'locked due to their trigger and internal safeties. Keep it holstered and there shouldn't be any issues.

jaep1911

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 01:20:29 AM »
Sorry about the major delay in response but I thank you all for taking the time and sharing your thought and knowledge here. I know feel very good about carrying around a striker fired gun without a decocker while still looking at other options.

Now onto another question :)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 01:10:05 AM »
If your looking for a real nice striker fired gun look at the Sig P320, great all around gun
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

SubjectZero

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 04:27:30 PM »
If your looking for a real nice striker fired gun look at the Sig P320, great all around gun

I can attest to this, I was going to carry my VP9, but I bought a medium-compact FDE p320 and I carry that now. I love the thing and it renewed my interest in .40s&w where before, I hated the round. Was probably the Springfield XD's fault that I own that made me hate the round so much....

jaep1911

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 09:28:20 PM »
I bought a Sphinx SDP Compact and am loving it. Its DA is crazy heavy but after 500 rounds, I can deal with it. It is carried decocked and goes with me all over the place now.

highli99

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 05:11:27 PM »
I get the comfort of appendix carry but you are wise to be careful. Firearm is pointed at your femoral artery which scares me a bit.

Mac19701

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 03:07:44 PM »
Just my two cents on carrying striker fired pistols. I agree with commenters above that they are safe as hammer fired weapons with decockers, but if ur really really worried about accidental fires, try this: carry ur striker fired pistol around home for a while cocked but without one in the pipe. Bounce it around a little if u want.  I think you'll soon get comfortable that it will not fire by accident as long as the trigger is covered.  That little experiment convinced me many years ago.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 02:03:53 AM »
Just my two cents on carrying striker fired pistols. I agree with commenters above that they are safe as hammer fired weapons with decockers, but if ur really really worried about accidental fires, try this: carry ur striker fired pistol around home for a while cocked but without one in the pipe. Bounce it around a little if u want.  I think you'll soon get comfortable that it will not fire by accident as long as the trigger is covered.  That little experiment convinced me many years ago.
That cocked empty chamber exercise also gave me the confidence to carry Condition 1 IWB but AIWB is still too scary.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:09:10 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.