Author Topic: Training Class  (Read 14458 times)

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: Training Class
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 12:22:27 AM »
One of the things I have heard is if you have not known or have not been in the state for longer then 5 years that you need to release the DMV records from your previous state.  I have looked all over the laws and do not see anything in there about that.  Has anyone heard of this being needed to be done?
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 12:44:47 AM »
I moved to Delaware in 2002, and I got my first CCDW permit in 2005. Didn't need to do so at the time.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

ChrisCar

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 12:47:55 AM »
I lived in DE for only 10 months when I submitted my application (which is still pending).   I also was told that I should submit a certified copy of my driver's abstract (which I did).   The person who told me is an investigator at the AG's office who processes applications, so I figured it was pretty reliable.  He didn't say anything about a 5-year limit though. 
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 02:23:51 AM »
There was definitely a lot of info that day in class way more then I ever expected to get.  I do want to take some advanced classes and a day at the range with a more experienced shooter to help with some shooting accuracy.  Shame that shooting is a perishable skill I was and expert marksman in the army.  I think I am squeezing the gun when i press the trigger causing it to drop down when I am firing.  Not sure if it's the sights or just me most likely me. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 08:03:04 AM »
One of the things I have heard is if you have not known or have not been in the state for longer then 5 years that you need to release the DMV records from your previous state.  I have looked all over the laws and do not see anything in there about that.  Has anyone heard of this being needed to be done?

Its not a law but the investigators do request it. My wife and I both received calls requesting that we get and submit the abstract.

*** Could one of the mods possibly amend the Delaware CCW Process thread with this need for an abstract for new to the state applicants? *** I know its not legally required however the investigators do request this more often then not.

We also took the course at First State Firearms and everything that's legally required is taught. Too many people push that you need to take one of the advanced classes. While they may contain additional information they usually also cost more and take longer. One thing for sure, even the basic CCDW class they teach leaves one with a whole lot more information then one expects going in. I've sent a few folks since my class to them and continue to recommend First State Firearms.

rikwick

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
My training class was also First State, It was the cheapest around.  I did my training before I submitted the application.  That way it was all done at once with no delay.   Anyone been through their NRA First Steps Pistol Orientation class? They also have coming up an Advanced Conceal Carry course too.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 09:10:10 PM »
I lived in DE for only 10 months when I submitted my application (which is still pending).   I also was told that I should submit a certified copy of my driver's abstract (which I did).   The person who told me is an investigator at the AG's office who processes applications, so I figured it was pretty reliable.  He didn't say anything about a 5-year limit though. 

How did you acquire these documents?  All the forms I am finding are telling me to put my license number in well the problem with that is DE takes your old ID so no number to put in that place.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

ChrisCar

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 01:55:58 AM »

How did you acquire these documents?  All the forms I am finding are telling me to put my license number in well the problem with that is DE takes your old ID so no number to put in that place.

I don't know what state you would need, but I think you're correct that most of them are going to require your number.  My former state was New Jersey.  If that's yours also, you can request an abstract at this website:  http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/driver_history_page.htm
But they definitely require your D/L number.  Fortunately, I had mine memorized. 

You might be able to call the DMV in your old state and see if they'll give it to you over the phone.  They might not due to security reasons.  In that case, I guess you'd probably have to go in person.
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 02:16:17 AM »

I don't know what state you would need, but I think you're correct that most of them are going to require your number.  My former state was New Jersey.  If that's yours also, you can request an abstract at this website:  http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/driver_history_page.htm
But they definitely require your D/L number.  Fortunately, I had mine memorized. 

You might be able to call the DMV in your old state and see if they'll give it to you over the phone.  They might not due to security reasons.  In that case, I guess you'd probably have to go in person.

I used to live in MD
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 11:45:12 AM »
My training class was also First State, It was the cheapest around.  I did my training before I submitted the application.  That way it was all done at once with no delay.   Anyone been through their NRA First Steps Pistol Orientation class? They also have coming up an Advanced Conceal Carry course too.

Why take it, unless you want the certificate for another card.  NRA 1st steps is action specific and a minimum of 3 hours.  It covers 2/3 of the requirements you "should" have already completed for your CCDW.  We use the full course for our classes. 

I only use 1st steps at scout camp.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:47:22 AM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »

Did you give them the full report or just the last 3 years?
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God