Author Topic: Open carry  (Read 21959 times)

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Open carry
« on: April 30, 2015, 02:59:01 AM »
Does any have any insight into how often open carry is practiced in DE?  Just a curiosity I know a few customers that come into my store open carry and we let them my boss fully supports 2A.   
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

ChrisCar

Re: Open carry
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 03:02:46 AM »
I do not know of any statistics on this, but I don't see anyone open carrying.   You might be able to get more info from the Delaware open carry website.  They have a forum like this one.  See http://www.delawareopencarry.org
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 03:20:00 AM »
I have seen more in the last year in Delaware than I have seen in my life.  I saw 2 just in the last week.

While I certainly support it being legal,  I think is a poor idea tactically especially in public areas like stores and malls.  You are the first target.

I can see it in remote areas, woods etc.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 03:36:27 AM »
was just curious as to how many people actually practiced this I am getting ready to pick up my firearm and wanted to carry but wasn't sure of just how common it is.  Does anyone know of any local businesses that have signs up for no guns allowed? I know my business allows open carry. If any of you smoke and are looking to quit and want to try out ecigs let me know I work at a local vape shop in peoples plaza. Know that your guns are allowed in our store.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 09:56:17 AM »
Signs don't carry force of law in Delaware. But if they ask you to leave, you must or you're trespassing.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
go to deloc.org you can find all and any info on that  site.
New Castle County

ChrisCar

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 01:14:02 PM »
@29thInfantry: "Does anyone know of any local businesses that have signs up for no guns allowed?"  I know I've seen signs at Waffle Houses.  I'm pretty sure I've seen signs at the Christiana Mall.  The no-carry post on this forum (http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=110.0) says the mall is a no-carry location, so I think I'm correct on that.

@del elec: "Signs don't carry force of law in Delaware."  I know that's the accepted wisdom; and I know HandGunLaw.us says that's the law in DE.  But does anyone know of a statute, case, or any legal authority that actually says so?  I haven't found legal support for this. 
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

Tonym

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »
I see guys come into the dealership where i work with guns on their hips sometimes. Maybe 3 times a year. Theres always a fellow employee who assumes theyre an "undercover cop"

I have to tell them no, thats actually legal in Delaware and if he was undercover he probably wouldnt have his weapon on display.

I guess its better people think youre an off duty cop then a maniac with a gun...

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »
Had a guy come to my yard sale last year open carrying. Wasn't bothered, as I was concealed carrying myself. I knew he had a gun, he didn't know I did too.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »
@29thInfantry: "Does anyone know of any local businesses that have signs up for no guns allowed?"  I know I've seen signs at Waffle Houses.  I'm pretty sure I've seen signs at the Christiana Mall.  The no-carry post on this forum (http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=110.0) says the mall is a no-carry location, so I think I'm correct on that.

@del elec: "Signs don't carry force of law in Delaware."  I know that's the accepted wisdom; and I know HandGunLaw.us says that's the law in DE.  But does anyone know of a statute, case, or any legal authority that actually says so?  I haven't found legal support for this.

See this case from last year especially around page 13. Open carry is certainly protected. http://courts.delaware.gov/opinions/download.aspx?ID=202890

It was agreed by the court, the state and the plaintiff that Delaware IS an open carry state. This was the State Supreme Court and it was unanimous

Also note that concealed carry can only be restricted outside the home.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:38:10 AM by Clarence »

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 06:27:23 PM »
Does any have any insight into how often open carry is practiced in DE?  Just a curiosity I know a few customers that come into my store open carry and we let them my boss fully supports 2A.  
Open carry is frowned upon in DE !
And If you think about it you can unknowingly make yourself a target !
http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/
I wouldn't want to advertise I have a weapon  ;D they can find out the hard way - LOL  ! ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 04:33:24 PM by joep19934 »
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 08:22:04 PM »
Does any have any insight into how often open carry is practiced in DE?  Just a curiosity I know a few customers that come into my store open carry and we let them my boss fully supports 2A.   
I wouldn't want to advertise I have a weapon  ;D they can find out the hard way - LOL  ! ;)
I agree about the tactics 100%. You are a target. But I do support the legality of open carry.  Some though unfortunately do not have the $400 or so for an initial CCW.

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 08:37:51 PM »
I wouldn't want to advertise I have a weapon  ;D they can find out the hard way - LOL  ! ;)
I agree about the tactics 100%. You are a target. But I do support the legality of open carry.  Some though unfortunately do not have the $400 or so for an initial CCW.
You can get it for less then $400 but yes its a lot of money to shell along with have to buy the weapon itself.  ::)
You can argue this situation back and forth but my preference is not to let anyone know I have a weapon on me !  ;D
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

robberbaron

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 10:16:32 PM »
I agree. I was in a Burger King a month or so ago, and there was a patron open carrying. He was the subject of a lot of stares. I was concealed and standing right next to him in line, and no one paid any attention to me. I like it that way

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 11:04:14 PM »
There are cheaper ways to get a CCW than $400.00. I spent $321.97 including 100 rounds of 9MM needed in course. I spent $135.00 on a special sale price offer at Marino's Tactical Solutions DECCW course. I spent $65.00 to file application, $69.00 SBI criminal background and prints, $30.00 Dover Post Ad, $22.97 for 100 rounds of ammo. That's $299.00 not counting ammo. This was just over 3 years ago.
Guys at Marino were great.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun