Author Topic: Open carry  (Read 21914 times)

Tonym

Re: Open carry
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 11:32:37 PM »
If open carry was a commonly recgonized thing like in a wild west movie id do it too and probably would have skipped the permit. But not only that, a lot of the places i go where i feel like something bad could happen theres plenty of no gun signs anyway.

But the price does sting. Ive got about 400 wrapped up in mine and ive still got a few more months to wait

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 01:58:22 AM »
As a self defense instructor of 10+ years I can tell people also look for victims mostly in condition white which my wife used to live her life in but no longer does not I feel sorry for the poor sap that ever puts her hands on her.  It has come to light that carrying a gun would also not be a bad idea either with the way people have been acting and the fact that my boss has decided to put a store in the middle of a rich neighborhood and the ghetto and I carry large sums of money for him at times.  I think if more of us carried openly it would make a difference even though I do like the idea of having a weapon on me and no one being able to see it.  I am always armed with some sort of weapon either in or out of the house.  I can see the point of people gawking at you when in open carry versus conceal carry which is the main reason i am going for my CCDW.  Less attention drawn to you the better.  But on the other hand the weapon being concealed could still make you a victim because someone didnt know you were carrying where as open carry would hopefully make someone think twice about trying anything brilliant.  I find living my life in condition yellow makes life a little easier as you see the threat coming and can avoid it.  I greatly appreciate everyones input on everything I have posted in this group.  I look forward to my CCDW
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 09:49:01 AM »
I am not an OC supporter.  I believe in the element of surprise,  I believe that OC makes you a target,  and I believe the vast majority  of OC is for political statements and/or call attention - both reasons to me are wrong reasons to carry a firearm to begin with. 

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »
I am not an OC supporter.  I believe in the element of surprise,  I believe that OC makes you a target,  and I believe the vast majority  of OC is for political statements and/or call attention - both reasons to me are wrong reasons to carry a firearm to begin with.  
I agree that tacticly it is a poor idea.  I also think a lot of these are showing off saying "look at me, I've got a gun".  Totally wrong reason to carry.

I believe it should be legal but in most cases concealed is the way to go.

Brininig a gun into the situation must be the last resort. When you open carry the gun is out there first.  Bad idea.
Say some drunk doesn't like you carrying and wants to be a tough guy and take it away from you.  If he is stronger and there is a chance he can take it, you might have to take action.
This situation would have been avoided if the guy never knew you were armed.  We need to blend in and be the calm rational person.

Carrying a gun to make a political statement is a counterproductive and crazy idea.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:57:22 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 10:17:31 PM »
I agree Clarence. Too many people open carrying to "show off". Makes them feel big and bad. These people should never carry guns. But, then again, they may be open carrying because they know they can't get permits, due to something in their past. Could be drugs, drinking, anger management problems,  domestic violence, etc.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 10:38:34 PM »
I agree Clarence. Too many people open carrying to "show off". Makes them feel big and bad. These people should never carry guns. But, then again, they may be open carrying because they know they can't get permits, due to something in their past. Could be drugs, drinking, anger management problems,  domestic violence, etc.

I think there are a few that open carry because it is their right to do so with no malicious intent some don't feel the need to go through a process and be registered in a system.  I do know a few that feel that way and harbor no malicious intent what so ever.  Me I prefer to have that element of surprise and me and my friends have gotten into some heated debates on it.   
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 01:49:31 AM »
I think there are all kinds of reasons people choose to open carry, some good and some not so good.
For me, there are a whole bunch of reasons not to open carry -- most of them already listed in this thread -- so I don't do it.

As a group, CCDW carriers have a lot to lose if open carry becomes popular and more visible in Delaware. We enjoy a lot of freedoms that are denied in other states, including the legal right to walk past "NO GUNS" signs because they don't carry force of law. All that would change in a heartbeat if guys wearing camo started marching into Acme and Wal-Mart with slung AR-15's.

Let's hope that doesn't happen.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 02:05:25 AM »
I think those guys that already do it in states that it is legal to sling arms is ridiculous and when approached by police all they do is give them a hard time.  I know it is your right to do so but why not make the interaction with police a good thing.  At least talk to them let them know who you are more positive interactions with law enforcement will ease up the gun control laws.  Maybe I am just being hopeful here but when I started training in the martial arts at a very young age and had a lot of live weapons in the car some of them staffs and spears so they were always up in the back window. Sometimes I would get stopped because they could see the weapons in the window we also trained outside open in the public eye so this always looked like a "gang" and we frequently got the police called on us.  After the second or 3rd time they knew who we are and what we were doing out there.  They would walk up to us with smiles on their faces and a good morning some of them even became students.  Some people would stop take pictures sometimes join us for class from time to time the more we were there the more comfortable people were with having us there including the police department.  So there is a situation where a negative was turned into a positive where this could also make obtaining a CCDW for law abiding citizens more common.  I think a 50 state constitutional carry for all law abiding citizens would be a good thing. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 03:08:31 AM »
The whole thing IMO is just ridiculous,  confrontational, making people to be uneasy.  I wish there was a very affordable way to get a CCW so everyday abiding citizen could be able to get one. 

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 01:39:58 PM »
I think changing Delaware from a "May Issue" to a  "Shall Issue" state would be a step in the right direction. But, remember, a person now restricted from concealed carry, for faults of their own, would still be restricted.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Tonym

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »
Id be ok with a higher application fee if it moved the process along faster myself

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »
The shall issue would be a great step it is almost like they are trying to dissuade people with the May issue that want to get their permit it is a considerable amount of money do get  his done but it is not all at once.   I have had people say that it is really expensive and when I found out how much it really was i was confused I thought it was going to be twards the 1000 dollar range. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 06:56:01 PM »
...  I have had people say that it is really expensive and when I found out how much it really was i was confused I thought it was going to be twards the 1000 dollar range. 
My understanding of the $1000 figure is as follows:
Newspaper ad $40
Fingerprinting $69
Application $65
Class $150
Carry piece $450
Holster $65
Belts $50
Wardrobe (if IWB) $100
Total $989. YMMV
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 07:07:05 PM »
Yeah I already wear fat boy pants from Kmart they have an insert of an elastic waistband I find they are more comfy and accommodate an IWB holster pretty nicely.  Yes I am already practicing getting used to having the feeling of an IWB holster I am also getting an owb depending on my dress and how i feel for the day.  Being a martial artist I already have come accustom to baggy but nice looking clothing.  I guess some people just want to make excuses to open carry I know most of them just don't want to put out the money for it either because they believe the government is always watching them (conspiracy theorist) or they are just plain out hung up on OC.  Couple have told me I am brilliant for going for me ccdw but you know what they say about opinions. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 12:57:19 AM »
The shall issue would be a great step it is almost like they are trying to dissuade people with the May issue that want to get their permit it is a considerable amount of money do get  his done but it is not all at once.   I have had people say that it is really expensive and when I found out how much it really was i was confused I thought it was going to be twards the 1000 dollar range. 

Realistically, not too many people are getting turned down under our discretionary issue system.  Those that are denied normally have a good shot during an appeal -- mainly as it shows a more serious intent. 

The problem with stirring the pot to get "shall issue" is that it can EASILY bring about the patchwork system of enforceable signs and restricted areas (churches, medical facilities, and so forth).  I've heard and seen other folks think that "shall issue" automatically gets them a permit, while discretionary issue is losing gamble.  Again, if you're restricted because of PFAs, domestic violence, or whatever -- "shall issue" won't cure that ailment.

Also, although the cost may seem somewhat steep, it's not as bad as many states.  Granted, the price jumped significantly when Delaware added the training requirement, but it's still not as bad as it could be.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."