Author Topic: Open carry  (Read 21913 times)

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Open carry
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2015, 01:24:22 AM »
On the topic of Open Carry, Constitutional Carry, Shall Issue, May Issue, etc., my position is that the armed person should demonstrate a basic level of proficiency before being allowed to carry.  Here why I say that. Although the DE Constitution has no qualifier -
Delaware Constitution Artlcle I
§ 20. Right to keep and bear arms.
A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.

the US Constitution contains the phrase "A well regulated Militia, being necessary..."

US Constitution, 2nd Amendment
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

which implies a level of training that does not normally occur today.  Back in the '50s and '60s, when a speaker asked the veterans in the audience to stand, almost every male above the age of 22 stood.  I expect that back in 1791, when the Bill of Rights was added to the Constitution, that most man and many women were firearms proficient. Today, most of us have been careless swept by a muzzle handled by an incompetent wannabe.  A lot of States now will issue a permit or do not require a permit for a person who doesn't know or practice the Four Gun Laws.  Scary.  Comments.

Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 01:52:21 AM »
On the topic of Open Carry, Constitutional Carry, Shall Issue, May Issue, etc., my position is that the armed person should demonstrate a basic level of proficiency before being allowed to carry.  Here why I say that. Although the DE Constitution has no qualifier -
Delaware Constitution Artlcle I
§ 20. Right to keep and bear arms.
A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.

the US Constitution contains the phrase "A well regulated Militia, being necessary..."

US Constitution, 2nd Amendment
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

which implies a level of training that does not normally occur today.  Back in the '50s and '60s, when a speaker asked the veterans in the audience to stand, almost every male above the age of 22 stood.  I expect that back in 1791, when the Bill of Rights was added to the Constitution, that most man and many women were firearms proficient. Today, most of us have been careless swept by a muzzle handled by an incompetent wannabe.  A lot of States now will issue a permit or do not require a permit for a person who doesn't know or practice the Four Gun Laws.  Scary.  Comments.

I was brought up around guns and was always taught how to handle them safely I think fresh out of high school every american should have to at least complete basic military training.  Or have some sort of gun course that is mandatory to graduate.  I know basic made me grow up and since parents cant put their foot up their kids asses these days I think it would be a viable way to make mature young adults and we would have feces going on like in Baltimore and people stomping the American flag which infuriates me.  They all need a good old fashioned @@@ whooping.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Tonym

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 02:11:08 AM »
Kids graduating high school today hardly know english, much less how to drive

At first i was kind of upset about taking a 6hr class that i probably wont learn much in and still have to pay a few hundred bucks for. But then when i seen some of the people in the class i see why its mandatory. I just wish we could have spent more time on the legal issues instead of teaching people who are holding a gun for the first time how to hold it

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2015, 02:44:55 AM »
I completely agree,  every law abiding citizen who wants to carry / own a firearm should have basic training.  The issue with this is cost,  so some program by the government would need to be in place to provide assistance to those who cannot afford training.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2015, 02:50:10 AM »
Those that cannot afford it send them to military basic 3 hots and a cot.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2015, 01:06:54 PM »
I agree that everyone should have training.  I have been shooting and have had guns for 40+ years.  I thought that I would just sit there and do the training because I had to.

I have to say that I really got a lot out of the training. I would actually like to do a refresher course sometime.

That being said, bearing arms is a right.  I do not believe that training, permits or any restrictions on where we carry should or can be a matter of law.  We need to be responsible for our own actions.  Period.

Look at other states that have no requirement for a license or training open or concealed. Have they lapsed into chaos?   Vermont has never required any type of license open or concealed.  

Pennsylvania right next door has over a million carry licenses out there with no training required. Over 10% of the adult poplulation and the problems have been minimal.

Again:   I am for training 100%.  But I believe there should no infringement by government.
I would also be in favor of firearms safety including live fire at the high school level. This could be an elective and paid for by fundraisers and donations ( not tax money)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:09:18 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Tonym

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
Firearms training in public school is basically "if you see a gun, dont touch it and tell an adult" done

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 12:38:04 AM »
Firearms training in public school is basically "if you see a gun, dont touch it and tell an adult" done

that would be the NRA Eddie Eagle program for elementary school children.

Big cities teach: " See a gun, call 911"

fish0123

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2015, 06:38:42 PM »
Before I got my CCW permit I open carried all the time in Sussex county. I went in to Lowes, restaurants, pretty much everywhere and everyone was cool with it. I have short hair and keep my shirts tucked in, and carry glocks, so I think everyone just assumed I was law enforcement. I rigged up a holster to go on my dash so I was legal if I got pulled over.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 06:40:46 PM by fish0123 »

Tonym

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2015, 08:14:14 PM »
Whenever someone walks into my job OC all my co workers just assume "he must be an undercover cop" 

Obviously id make no effore to impersonate a cop but youre probably better off if people think you are then a regular civilian

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2015, 06:45:51 AM »
I have to agree with Clarence and while I believe if you own a firearm you should have some training, I don't think it should be a requirement. I'm also fully in support of firearm training and shooting clubs in public schools... again.

lems902

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2015, 03:47:01 AM »
@del elec: "Signs don't carry force of law in Delaware."  I know that's the accepted wisdom; and I know HandGunLaw.us says that's the law in DE.  But does anyone know of a statute, case, or any legal authority that actually says so?  I haven't found legal support for this. 

@ChrisCar - My understanding is that since there is no law that makes signs have the force of law - they don't.  In the absence of a law specifically regulating an activity, there is no law governing that activity...  That is the way this issue has been explained to me.

On that note - while looking through the law trying to find an answer, I noticed that I could not seem to find the section that lists places where firearms are prohibited (parks, etc.).  Am I missing it somehow?  I looked through all of 1441, and glanced over 1442 all the way to 1460.  Where can I find those restrictions?
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 08:54:37 AM »
 The places listed that are prohibited are in different sections of the code. The guy at www.handgunlaw.us has compiled a list on the Delaware link:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/delaware.pdf

It starts at the bottom of page 3.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
My understanding is that since there is no law that makes signs have the force of law - they don't.  In the absence of a law specifically regulating an activity, there is no law governing that activity...  That is the way this issue has been explained to me.

I think this is what you are referring to.
Title 11, Part I, Chapter 2. General Provisions Concerning Offenses
§ 202. All offenses defined by statute.
(a) No conduct constitutes a criminal offense unless it is made a criminal offense by this Criminal Code or by another law.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2015, 11:48:06 PM »
My understanding is that since there is no law that makes signs have the force of law - they don't.  In the absence of a law specifically regulating an activity, there is no law governing that activity...  That is the way this issue has been explained to me.

I think this is what you are referring to.
Title 11, Part I, Chapter 2. General Provisions Concerning Offenses
§ 202. All offenses defined by statute.
(a) No conduct constitutes a criminal offense unless it is made a criminal offense by this Criminal Code or by another law.
Thanks Hawkeye.  Excellent of you to find and post that vital law.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:49:40 PM by Clarence »