Author Topic: 9mm vs 45acp - from experts  (Read 17520 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: 9mm vs 45acp - from experts
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »
Just about every "expert" with 3 or more followers has chimed in on this debate. It is getting old. The technical advancment of ammunition in the popular self-defense rounds has made the difference in calibers nominal. It comes down to whatever works for you and what you prefer for whatever reasons you prefer it.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »
I agree, People use what they used for a variety of reasons, and will always think of a dozen reasons why theirs is best for them. These "A" v."B" comparisons are a waste of time. I think my gun or ammo is best, and you think yours is the best. So what?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:40:56 PM »
The debate is always interesting,  especially when people engaging is more knowledgeable than I am.  I like both sides of the argument,  I love how I shoot a 9mm and how I have much more control with it when rapid iring.  I also love the size of a 45acp, as well as the power of a 10mm.

I agree with carry what you are confident with.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 10:08:06 PM »
People disparage other calibers, but they never volunteer to be shot with them.
I carry 10mm because I like shooting it, and I can hit a target with it. I just bought a Glock 43, which is a tacit admission that there's nothing wrong with 9mm...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 02:30:51 PM »
Just about every "expert" with 3 or more followers has chimed in on this debate. It is getting old. The technical advancement of ammunition in the popular self-defense rounds has made the difference in calibers nominal. It comes down to whatever works for you and what you prefer for whatever reasons you prefer it.

I agree with this and no more need to be said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 05:37:16 PM »
People disparage other calibers, but they never volunteer to be shot with them.
I carry 10mm because I like shooting it, and I can hit a target with it. I just bought a Glock 43, which is a tacit admission that there's nothing wrong with 9mm...

I am with you 100%. Also,  I have my preferences for different situations - during the winter I like my 10mm and heavy 45acp,  if I go to crowded places I like very vast and light bullets in a 9mm or. 45acp (185gr). Camping I carry heavy 10mm loads for black bears.

I shoot two platforms only ,  1911 and Glock, so mostly caliber changes for different situations. 

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 06:51:31 PM »
Just about every "expert" with 3 or more followers has chimed in on this debate. It is getting old. The technical advancement of ammunition in the popular self-defense rounds has made the difference in calibers nominal. It comes down to whatever works for you and what you prefer for whatever reasons you prefer it.

I agree with this and no more need to be said.
Amen!!
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 12:30:00 AM »
i bought my gun for one good reason, from every review i saw on video and read, it eats just about any brand you put through it
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »
There is a you-tube video that demonstrates the obvious.  A gentleman shoots at a watermelon with a 44 magnum and misses (to make his point).  Then shoots it with a .38 and hits it.  Amusing.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 02:10:05 PM »
I'm just old enough to have experienced the great wheelguns-versus-autos debates, continue to witness the this-versus-that debates, and may live long enough to take part in ray-gun/laser-gun-versus-lead arguments. 

Of course, considering that I started with 357s and 44s, purchased through my friend's sister or my dad, most other so-called hand-cannons seem weak, quiet, easy to shoot, and easy to wield!

But (illegally) carrying an 8 3/8" Model 29 (because that's what Harry carried) or a 645 (because that's what Sonny carried) in Galco shoulder rigs soon gave way to more practical choices.  So went the days of real steel, just prior to the Tupperware era. 

Back when the number of weapon-models were few, and each caliber had maybe a half-dozen factory loads -- comparisons were more easily made.  Weapon-specific, load-specific arguments could take place with arguable results.  Now, comparisons are made with generalities, made from a random sampling of available loads.  Facts and opinions seem to change a lot -- just like in politics.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »
So went the days of real steel, just prior to the Tupperware era.

Can't stop laughing!  I gotta use this somehow.

A request to Twisted:  How about a place for saving legendary posts like the one above.  It just doesn't get better than that!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:46:07 PM by Obleo »

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 10:45:45 PM »
Radnor has a couple of .45's that hold nearly as much ammo as the 9MM plastic guns.  Who do you think will have rounds left over after the fight is done??  My money is on Radnor.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 11:54:47 AM »
I just can't seem to relate to this argument.  If I need to present my firearm, no matter the make and model, I am already in a pretty bad place.  If the situation escalates to a point that I'm changing mags I'm WAY over my head. If all I am doing is firing cover shots the game is likely over.

I do believe it is conceivable, if not a sure thing in the near future, that zombies will be coming for my water, food and guns.  But a defensive position can be hardened. It is unlikely that I will be wading into battle with inferior firepower.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 01:12:15 PM »
Good post, Obleo...
+100

I just can't seem to relate to this argument.  If I need to present my firearm, no matter the make and model, I am already in a pretty bad place.  If the situation escalates to a point that I'm changing mags I'm WAY over my head. If all I am doing is firing cover shots the game is likely over.

I do believe it is conceivable, if not a sure thing in the near future, that zombies will be coming for my water, food and guns.  But a defensive position can be hardened. It is unlikely that I will be wading into battle with inferior firepower.