Author Topic: Carry for Skinny/Small Guys/girls ???  (Read 17210 times)

BPRoach302

• Carry On
Carry for Skinny/Small Guys/girls ???
« on: May 14, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »
Hello all,
I am a smaller guy, about 5'9", 145lbs. My waist is around 30". Just wondering how other small/ skinny folks carry.
What gun, holster, belt, position?
Appendix carry, trigger guard holsters, belly band style holsters, pocket holsters?

Thanks in advance!!

ThePixelated

Re: Carry for Skinny/Small Guys/girls ???
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 03:21:18 AM »
The best advice is the same as when you decide what gun to get and carry, which is whatever fits you best and is comfortable. I thought I was going to to appendix carry with a kydex holster, but my body said nope. I tried a hybrid holster and didn't like it. Found a different kydex holster that I liked and now carry at 4/5 position...

BPRoach302

• Carry On
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 11:40:36 PM »
The best advice is the same as when you decide what gun to get and carry, which is whatever fits you best and is comfortable. I thought I was going to to appendix carry with a kydex holster, but my body said nope. I tried a hybrid holster and didn't like it. Found a different kydex holster that I liked and now carry at 4/5 position...

Thanks, I understand completely. There is no doubt that I am going to end up with more than a few holsters. There are so many choices, I just want to narrow my search by seeing what other people (my size) recommend.
I am also looking to carry appendix. I have a Taurus PT111 G2 (9mm). I have looked at several smaller holster manufactures as well as the giants.

STEALTHGEAR USA AIWB APPENDIX CARRY HOLSTER http://stealthgearusa.com/products/sgusa-aiwb-appendix-carry-holster?variant=1018857748 – This holster looks great. Currently don’t make one for my firearm.

ON YOUR 6 DESIGNS https://onyour6designs.com/product/taurus-holster/ – I will probably order one of these. GREAT price point and good reviews so far.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 12:09:42 AM »
You may also want to consider concealing your firearm in plain sight. Several manufacturers make belt "holsters" that you wear out on your waist. (I'm not talking about a fanny pack, which screams "GUN!!!").
Among other benefits:

--You can remove the holster and gun in public without anyone seeing your firearm and dialing 911.
--Other than a sturdy belt, no wardrobe changes are required.

Here are a few links:
Safepacker: I've been wearing my Glock 20 and 29 in these for almost a decade, virtually undetected.
Sneaky Pete: I wore my Glock 42 in a nylon Sneaky Pete holster all over the place, including the heavily secured Temple graduation in 2014. Nobody looked at it twice. I just got one for my new Glock 43.
PDA Holsters: I've never tried them, but their Web site looks pretty good.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 03:43:07 PM »
I usually carry a S&W 642 .38 or S&W BG.38  They are light, small, even fit a pocket holster.  I use either the pocket holster or OWB belt holster.  I don't like the small 9MM's, too small even for my small hands.  And the .38+P has better knockdown.  I love 1911 types, but just too big.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 04:17:08 AM »
Just took my class one of the instructors was using one of these he was a very skinny guy if i wasn't a fat guy I would go with one of these.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/HotcakesStore/CategoryViewer/tabid/112/slug/belly-band/Default.aspx
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

lems902

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 03:50:29 AM »
I have a 32" waist, and wear a CrossBreed holster every day with an M&P Shield.  I've bought many before, and a few since, and always end up back with the CrossBreed.  It's the most comfortable, and concealable, I have found.  Well worth the cost, and wait!
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
Here is a better buy than Crossbreed:

http://www.theholsterstore.net/Pro-Carry-Hybrid-p/procarryhybrid.htm

Better price and faster shipping.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 06:25:32 PM »
I have a 32" waist, and wear a CrossBreed holster every day with an M&P Shield.  I've bought many before, and a few since, and always end up back with the CrossBreed.  It's the most comfortable, and concealable, I have found.  Well worth the cost, and wait!

I agree with Lems902. I have both the super tuck and mini tuck. It depends on what I am wearing which one I use. Both are very comfortable and hold the gun firmly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

rikwick

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
I'm 6' with a 30" waist.  I get jeans that are 31" waist (JC Penney at the mall) has Levis this size.  My IWB is DeSantis, I don't even know it's there.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 05:12:20 PM »
Note on clips.. Many people find the all metal clips both difficult to remove at times but also wear your belt and clothing quite a bit. I used a holster with my SP101 for a month with the metal clip with a black finish and the belt had noticeable wear. Returned the holster the next day.

My favorite holsters would be those from Comp-Tac. I wear an MTAC 14-18 hours daily with no issues for about the last 2 years. Comfortable and extremely adjustable. Their reinforced belts are also great.

kent

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »
stoner holsters 415 iwb...  easy on easy off. The picture shows black and the back side of the brown holster for Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace laser sight.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:55:59 PM by kent »
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

Capnball

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 12:13:00 AM »
I think we all have accumulated a crazy number of holsters. I'm 5' 7" about 170 lbs. I can't carry the full size guns and conceal them comfortably and worse... I'm left-handed, making my holster options more limited.  Tried IWB holsters, didn't like them at all. Settled on OWB paddle holsters that ride a little high for a J-frame and a compact 9mm. The 9mm is Kydex on leather that has been surprisingly comfortable after some adjustments. The Desantis is Kydex and ballistic nylon which  works well. I also like Sneaky Pete's holster for the J-Frame which I use in the summer when I can't use a jacket. Just about every option has an up and a down side. I have learned one thing through trial and error. When you decide to change or add a new gun to your CCW line-up, available holsters that are comfortable does play a significant role in the decision to buy the gun or not. I recently acquired a SCCY CPX 2 and before I bought it I found a left handed, high rise paddle holster on E-Bay for 35.00. Gun sold! As difficult as it is for small men to find a comfortable way to conceal a firearm I can only imagine how tough it must be for the ladies. Hats of to you ladies that somehow find a way.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 01:47:55 AM »
Note on clips.. Many people find the all metal clips both difficult to remove at times but also wear your belt and clothing quite a bit...
had same problem with OldFaithful metal clips. AlienGear came with plastic clips that are easier on/off, adjust, and less wear on clothes.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 02:51:42 AM »
had same problem with OldFaithful metal clips. AlienGear came with plastic clips that are easier on/off, adjust, and less wear on clothes.
Good, because I just ordered their two-holster combo.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon