Author Topic: hk 91 clones?  (Read 5293 times)

Tonym

hk 91 clones?
« on: June 14, 2015, 06:55:10 PM »
I thing i want to buy or make a hk 91 clone rifle in 308. Im not really sure if theyre like an AR where im better off buying the pieces i want and throwing it together or if i should just buy one done? I seen centruy started selling their own clone with a new barrel and surplus internals for around $700 which seems like the cheapest option but seeing century stamped on something always makes me nervous. If anyone has any expierence with these id love to hear the pros and cons. Thanks

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: hk 91 clones?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 07:35:14 PM »
There is a guy at the twice/year Nur Temple gun show (right corner as you enter) who sells old guns. Spring show he was selling a Spanish Cetme, which the HK91 was based on. Don't remember his price, but it's affordable.
New Castle County

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
It's not the same as building an AR.  Also, CETME's can have mag problems, as there aren't as many of them around as there are aluminum HK mags.  Look for a PTR.  PTR has had various problems along the way, as the original ones using HK parts worked, until PTR decided they could make it better -- but didn't. After returning to the original design years ago, they've been much better.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Tonym

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:33:39 PM »
Yeah PTRs seemed like the only real option until i seen the century C308s. That fact that they had a Msrp of about half what the PTs sell for seemed really scary amd exciting at the same time.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 01:09:56 AM »
Century has that whacky history of being an importer of old and odd stuff that somehow got into bringing in new things of questionable quality.  Without question, they have awesome catalogs! 

The HK design is brutal on the shooter and the weapon, so I'd be -- cautious -- when considering the Century.  Have you looked up any recent reviews or videos of them?  It's amazing that buying a product from so e if these companies is like buying a wine: "Oh, '09 and '11 were fine years, but stay away from the '10."

Give or take, $700 can get you into a PTR on GunBroker.  But even they started as something that many people probably questioned.  Century has been offering 93s for quite a while, and apparently decided to get into the 91s.  The problem with 93s is that any part that is unique to them are @@@@ near rare, whereas old Ukranian grandmothers have trunkloads of 91 parts -- so that was probably the motivation.

Sorry that I can't give you exact information, but it sounds like we're on the same page with being leery of literally and figuratively pulling the trigger on Century.

Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 12:38:35 PM »
Flashback!  Used to have a 91.  I always thought I would HATE to be on the receiving end.  It was amazingly accurate and reliable.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Tonym

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 03:59:11 PM »
I ended up getting a good deal on a century from chris. I feed about 200 rounds of reloads through it in one afternoon and not a single issue. The only discomfort is that the plastic hand guard gets so hot after just a few magazines that you cant even touch it. Other than that it was shooting a pretty tight group at about 80 yards