Author Topic: Application being denied / references too short  (Read 14560 times)

ChrisCar

Application being denied / references too short
« on: June 24, 2015, 08:00:08 PM »
I received a call from the A.G.'s office today (only two months post-filing, FYI).   They are going to deny my application because my references have known me less than one year (I just moved to the state last year).  Anticipating that might be an issue, I had also submitted references from four out-of-state law enforcement officials and a judge from my former state.  Apparently that didn't help.   The investigator suggested that I can write to the judge with an explanation and see if he will get involved at this stage. 

Anyone had any experience with anything like this?  Any suggestions?  Thanks. 
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Application being denied / references too short
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 08:29:33 PM »
How often do you interact with your references? If you see them once a week for a short interval is lot different from someone who works with you every weekday. 
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 10:42:16 PM »
How  long have you lived in Delaware? I doubt that if you just moved here, you will get approved. Do you have a CCP from your previous state? If you have been here for years, try to get references you've known for 5 years in Delaware.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

ChrisCar

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:54:22 PM »
How  long have you lived in Delaware? I doubt that if you just moved here, you will get approved. Do you have a CCP from your previous state? If you have been here for years, try to get references you've known for 5 years in Delaware.

I moved here last summer.  My longest-known reference was from September 2014.  Didn't have a permit before . . . I lived in NJ ('nuf said). 

I put together a letter to the judge detailing the reason why my references are short-term, and also emphasizing my out-of-state references from prosecutors and a judge.    I'll keep you all posted.
New Castle County
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:24:07 PM »
Hope it works out. The out of state references are meaningless in the law, but you do have the statutory number of in county references so hopefully the judge will see your out of state references as proof of your character.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

lems902

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 03:56:53 AM »
Interesting. I applied less than a year after moving to DE (also from NJ). I had only known one of my references more than a year, and had no issues at all. Did you submit a copy of your certified NJ drivers abstract by chance?  I did - was called by the investigatior asking for it...and told him it was already included with my permit. He said "oh that's great" and applied I would be approved shortly.
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

ChrisCar

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:29:10 PM »
@Clarence:  At the time of filling,  my in-county refs had known me from 3 to 9 months (by now, it's 5 to 11).  That's what seems to the problem.   And while the out of state refs are technically meaningless, they were from 3 former prosecutors,  a former judge,  and a former detective. They've known me 5-15 years.  Seeing as i did have five in-county refs also, i figured they would just be a little extra evidence of character and moral fitness.

@Lems:  yep, i included the abstract.  That wasn't brought up at all.
New Castle County
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 11:24:05 PM »
This all makes me wounder how mine will turn out only being in Delaware for 2 years and 2 of my references were under the 5 year mark one i went to high school with so I have known him for a very long time.  When I turned in my drivers abstract for MD the lady almost acted like it didn't need to be there.  she said I am so over putting these in there have been so many.   I just thanked her for her time and left it has been 3 weeks now. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

ChrisCar

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 12:16:12 AM »
This all makes me wounder how mine will turn out only being in Delaware for 2 years and 2 of my references were under the 5 year mark one i went to high school with so I have known him for a very long time.  When I turned in my drivers abstract for MD the lady almost acted like it didn't need to be there.  she said I am so over putting these in there have been so many.   I just thanked her for her time and left it has been 3 weeks now. 

I was told the problem is references knowinge less than ONE year.  So you should be safe.
New Castle County
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 12:18:23 AM »
I was told the problem is references knowinge less than ONE year.  So you should be safe.
[/quote]

It would be nice if they would put stuff like this in the application process alone and the part about the drivers abstract too would be great these are things that are not in the process.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 09:10:57 AM »

It would be nice if they would put stuff like this in the application process alone and the part about the drivers abstract too would be great these are things that are not in the process.

[/quote]

I've requested a few times here that the drivers abstract information be added to the Delaware CCDW Process thread at the top of this forum, yet it hasn't been added. Since it IS something that the Federal agents doing the background checks are requiring from new residents it should be added!

We were told refs should be known for a few years.. Whatever that is. It's not actually part of the DE Code but something the investigators are requiring. I'd contact the judge and politely request a meeting.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 05:51:43 PM »
I do agree that we should have it on here but the courts should have it on the list as a requirement have it listed in a if you are a section not all people come here before they start the process.  But I think we should be proactive and have this information here.  I found out from First state firearms training that i would need that.

NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 07:55:42 PM »
Yes it should be listed here.

No.. You'll not see it on the state or county sites because it isn't the law. The DE Code doesn't require that you know your refs for a 1 year period. The Code requires refs to show you can prove good moral character. As far as I know there is no minimum period you are required to wait listed in the DE Code. Please correct me if I'm wrong....

I'm waiting for someone to be denied for this and to follow up with a lawsuit.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 10:52:06 PM »
Just went over everything on my application don't know why but one of my references put townsend as Kent when it is new castle.  Do you think I should have this corrected or just leave it alone.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 11:52:22 AM »
Get a new one.

We tell our students to make 6-7 blank copies of the reference questionaire just in case some one screws up you'll have an extra to hand out immediately.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.