Author Topic: Clothing  (Read 10216 times)

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Clothing
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:28:22 AM »
Has anyone changed how they dress when they started CCDW?  I notice so many "specialty" clothing out there but it all seems to scream I am carrying a gun.  I usually go to walmart or Kmart and buy pants.  Looking at some of the other companies they start at 40 bucks for a half way decent pair of pants or a shirt.  Suggestions I know I still have a ways to go before my permit gets here I just want to be fully prepared to CC when it gets here.  Just got my Stealth Gear holster in the mail today and I have to say it is quite comfy. I have been looking at some 511tacticle and some deluth trading company.  Any suggestions for conceal garments is greatly appreciated or am I just overthinking?  I put the new holster on tonight and messed with it a bit around the house seemed to be able to hide the weapon pretty good with the flex waistband yes i am a fat guy.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Clothing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
I bought some white undershirts a size smaller to wear tucked in with another shirt over. Basically for a layer between the holster and my skin. Also bought a few casual button down shirts designed not to be tucked in.. more squared off along the bottom then rounded. Neither were really needed and using the holster I have chosen I can wear the sidearm all day even without a layer between it and my skin.

I wear a waist 36-38 pant and didn't need to upsize for an IWB holster.. MTAC by Comp-Tac.

Really.. The only thing I'd suggest is a high quality leather belt. I have a couple of the kydex reinforced contoured belts from Comp-Tac. The $99 price was hard at first.. it's a friggen belt! However, after a couple years of daily wear I can fully say it was the absolute best purchase and well worth the money. Supports the holster & firearm (Walther PPQ) with no issues, well made and I have no doubt that they will last a long long time. After 2+ years they show hardly any wear. No separation, no distorted shape, holes still perfectly round, etc.

When first starting to carry everything screams you have a gun! It's a mind set that I think many, if not most, new permit holders go through. I know I did. Now I'll toss on a loose fitting t-shirt over it and head out. I honestly don't give it a seconds thought anymore.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »
The $99 price was hard at first.. it's a friggen belt!

I paid 128 with shipping with zachsgunbelts.com I did have a few customizations normally they are around 85 but i wanted the double stitching and he is making me a custom key loop for it too becuase if I dont use one i loose my keys.  It is also handmade right here in the US I love hand crafted things.   
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:39:33 AM »
The leather place at the NCCo Farmer's Market will sell you a great leather belt, strong enough to support just about any firearm, for $50.
As for clothing, I wear 5.11 Taclite Pro shorts in the summer because I like all the pockets. When I'm IWB, I wear tall-sized short sleeve shirts as a covering garment.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:44:54 AM »
Better belts and longer shirts, that is all for me.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »
Yup.. A few years ago I'd have never thought of laying $100+ on a belt and now have a couple. Well worth it IMO now. I've kept my keys on a real climbing carabiner for years. Great defensive tool to boot! Clips on my belt loop when I exit the vehicle and hangs inside the door when home. Walking through parking lots it's usually in hand.

OGG.. I've been meaning to pickup some 5.11 shorts. Folks seems to like them and they aren't outrageously priced.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »
Not necessary to pay big bucks for a good belt. What you need to look for is a belt at least 1 1/4" wide and made of 1 piece cow hide. Belts that are 2 pieces sewn together usually don't last long. they suffer from delamination of the material layers. In a lot of cased they are not even made with real leather. Here's an example. I bought a belt from Walmart at least 10 years ago. It is solid 1 piece cowhide. I have been wearing it every day since I bought it. I think I paid $14.00 for it. They still sell them for that price.  A good place to find good belts at a reasonable price is places that sell outdoor clothing and work/uniform clothing. I have seen good belts not only at Walmart, but at Tractor Supply, Southern States, Gander Mountain, Army/Navy Surplus stores.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

kent

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »
Bullhidebelts.com
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 02:17:43 PM »
Amish belts @ hanksclothing.com

Shirts 1 size larger.

The public is CLUELESS!!!  They will not see it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:25:05 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 03:36:19 PM »
Not necessary to pay big bucks for a good belt. What you need to look for is a belt at least 1 1/4" wide and made of 1 piece cow hide. Belts that are 2 pieces sewn together usually don't last long. they suffer from delamination of the material layers. In a lot of cased they are not even made with real leather. Here's an example. I bought a belt from Walmart at least 10 years ago. It is solid 1 piece cowhide. I have been wearing it every day since I bought it. I think I paid $14.00 for it. They still sell them for that price.  A good place to find good belts at a reasonable price is places that sell outdoor clothing and work/uniform clothing. I have seen good belts not only at Walmart, but at Tractor Supply, Southern States, Gander Mountain, Army/Navy Surplus stores.

Meh.. I've bought those belts from Walmart and they are deformed, ripped and hardware broken within a year. Twice! I'm not going to say they are garbage however I do think the type of activity and persons body shape does factor in. In the past 10 years I bet I went through 6 or 7 cheaper belts. Two+ years on this one and it's still perfect.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 04:12:09 PM »
Looked at the farmers market those belts were not bad.  Me I am very rough on my gear I go through a belt in 2 months from walmart so i needed something a lot better I have heard alot of good about Zachs guns belts.  Just got my stealth gear holster yesterday wore it around the house it is very very comfortable I just need to get some different pants my fat boy pants from Walmart are not going to make it because of how they put the expandable waist together there is just to much bulk there.  So off this weekend to see what I can find in the pants department. I have looked at Deluth trading but @@@@ are they expensive and you cant even try before you buy no stores in this area.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

08m3saloon

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 07:44:42 PM »
I think you may be over thinking it a tad.  If there is enough room in your pants to comfortably carry your pistol without stressing the button then I say strap it on and go, like a few have said, no-one is going to notice or pay you any attention.  I have not changed the way I dress since starting to CC, jeans or cargo shorts and a tee or polo most of the time.  I don’t think the general public thinks twice about 5.11 style pants but other gun guys do I think.  Personally if I see someone wearing tactical pants or one of those multi-cam hats with a Velcro US flag on it, I assume that person is armed.  This may or may not be true.  I personally prefer to blend right on in.  Seems like you’re on the right track with a solid purpose built gun belt and quality holster, no need to be tactical Timmy with tac-lite pro pants, S&W tee-shirt, and multi-cam hat.  Unless of course that’s how you dress normally then carry on.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 11:20:53 PM »
I think you may be over thinking it a tad.  If there is enough room in your pants to comfortably carry your pistol without stressing the button then I say strap it on and go, like a few have said, no-one is going to notice or pay you any attention.  I have not changed the way I dress since starting to CC, jeans or cargo shorts and a tee or polo most of the time.  I don’t think the general public thinks twice about 5.11 style pants but other gun guys do I think.  Personally if I see someone wearing tactical pants or one of those multi-cam hats with a Velcro US flag on it, I assume that person is armed.  This may or may not be true.  I personally prefer to blend right on in.  Seems like you’re on the right track with a solid purpose built gun belt and quality holster, no need to be tactical Timmy with tac-lite pro pants, S&W tee-shirt, and multi-cam hat.  Unless of course that’s how you dress normally then carry on.

No sir I like to stay under the radar as much as possible.  One reason why I made this post was to see if i am over thinking it I most likely am as i over think just about everything.  It is just nice to hear what others are doing to se if there is anything different I can do.  I greatly appreciate everyone input that is what I love about this group of people.  We need to have a meet up or something some day.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 11:30:11 PM »
A lot of the 5.11 stuff does look way too tactical. The shorts I wear look like regular cargo pants.
I avoid all gun logos, bumper stickers, etc. entirely.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

SteveMiller

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 11:49:11 PM »
i have to weigh in on the belt recommendations too.  https://www.daltechforce.com/best-sellers/strongest-gun-belt

There are a bunch of reviews of this belt on youtube, and it's my new favorite casual belt.  It probably has the best balance between being thin and stiff, and easy to slide holsters onto. They are also available for $50.   Description via the website:

SuperBio® Belt - Unbelievably Tough! We call it Indestructible*.  There is absolutely no stretch, sag, or fold-over make this the strongest gun belt you will ever own. High-strength hi-tech thermopolymer polyurethane leather-like textured material with an internal integrated polyester webbing that makes it durable, waterproof, easy to clean and stronger than natural leather.  The belt is flexible and comfortable to wear all day and feels very secure and can take extra cinching if you like to wear your holster tight to your body.  As stiff as Kydex, but will not break!  The Kydex alternative.

Also now a huge fan of the StealthGear holsters.  They are comfortable to even on a hot and humid day.
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America