Author Topic: Holster for M&P Shield  (Read 10939 times)

rikwick

Holster for M&P Shield
« on: July 11, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »
My carry pistol is the 9mm M&P Shield.  I bought a Kydex OWB holster at X-Ring and I use it (4 O'clock) if I wear a dress shirt so it conceals the pistol and is more comfortable for me than IWB. Anyway, I always carry the Shield with the safety on, but a few times when I have drawn my weapon from the holster, the safety is off.  The first time I noticed, I thought maybe I didn't have the safety on the last time I put it in the holster.  But it has happened twice now after I was very sure the safety was on when I reholstered it.  It's not a big deal since I do not put my finger on the trigger, however I would like to know some thoughts if anyone has ever experienced this.  Is the safety swithing to off when I'm putting the pistol in the holster or taking iy out?   Thanks in advance for any comments.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: Holster for M&P Shield
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:50:59 PM »
Are you sure you are not sweeping the safety as you are pulling it out of the holster?  I carry a ruger SR9C the safety is in about the same spot and I train to sweep it with my thumb when drawing from the holster.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Etrier

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »
Does the sweat guard (body side panel of the holster) cover the safety?  Has a channel been formed in the kydex that will allow the safety to stay clear of the holster during the draw stroke and when holstering?  Given your 4 o'clock carry position how much cant has been built into the holster?  I have seen this issue come up a few times in kydex holster maker forums.  If the issue is due to the holster it can be a relatively easy fix.  It is possible that if there is no channel for the safety the kydex holster panel is pushing on the safety before it snaps into place. 
Kydex Holster Maker

rikwick

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 09:32:09 PM »
The cant of the holster is very little forward, maybe only 5 degrees? And there is a formed channel for the safety switch.  I did just look closely at it and see there is slight scratch being made right above (safety on) that channel, and to me the only thing that could be making it is the safety.  I definetely do not sweep the safety off when drawing the weapon, I probably should at least train to do that!?  It has only happened to me 3 times, but it has been recently.  I can rock the gun slightly when it's in the holster, bearly an 1/8", but I don't know if thats normal.  Thanks for your replies.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »
You may want to take a look at Crossbreed holsters. I have both the standard and the super tuck. I use both depending on what I am wearing.
I don't have an issue with swiping the safety when drawing as I usually have the holster in the 5 o'clock location.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 11:20:47 PM »
I just got my stealth gear holster last week I wear it around the house to get used to having it on very comfortable.  I am still waiting for my permit so i have not been able to step out in the heat and wear it all day.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Etrier

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 02:28:59 AM »
From your description of the holster the safety is making contact with the holster outside the channel during the draw or when holstering the firearm.  The other possibility is that the 1/8" movement you describe when holstered allows the safety to move out of the channel and make enough contact with kydex outside the safety channel to force the safety to move.  I would contact X-Ring and explain the issue and ask if they can have the holster modified so that the safety doesn't switch off without your knowledge.  It is important that you know that if you intend to carry the Shield in your holster with the safety on that it stays in that condition until you take the safety off.  If you still have issues with the holster you can contact me via the PM that I sent you. 
Kydex Holster Maker

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 04:42:21 AM »
Order a proper fitting holster fir the carry piece. Most inexpensive holsters I see in gun shops are more generic and lack good fit and often quality. Lots on online options and you'll likely be much happier.

Btw.. Have you IWB carried much? With a decent quality IWB holster and quality belt you should be comfortable with mouse guns to full sized handguns. Cheaper holsters or a good holster with crap belt will not be comfortable. The belt does make a huge difference.

Good luck.

lems902

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 06:14:54 AM »
Until just the other day, I carried a Shield everyday (for over a year). I never had the safety move while carrying - although I always carried with the safety off. Used a Crossbreed mini tuck. I will say that just the presence of a manual safety made me really uncomfortable. That is one of the main reasons I actually switched away from that for my EDC earlier that week...that and the capacity limit with so many great similar sized options now with significantly more capacity.

I trained to draw and sweep the safety just in case it activated somehow during the day (that's how worried I was about it). Recently, even though I made sweeping the safety part of my regular routine, I was training at drawing from holster with the safety on...I went to fire a shot and somehow missed the safety on the draw. Obviously the gun didn't fire. And this was under no stress in a controlled setting. I replayed that draw 1000 times in my head and I have no idea how I missed the safety - but I quickly realized that if my life was at risk in that moment I would be dead. I decided then and there to find a replacement EDC, and that the Shield would just be another strategically placed option in my home defense plan...with the safety OFF!!

Sorry for the extended post, but thought I should share!
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

rikwick

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »
I do carry IWB when I'm wearing my jeans because these pants are 1" bigger in the waist, but I also wear cargo pants mostly and there just is not enough room to be comfortable, so I wear OWB with an oversized t-shirt.  My holster for IWB is a cheap one too, I have been thinking about getting an Aliengear IWB and OWB (get $10 off if buy two).  Any one have any experience with these holsters?  Crossbreed is also on my list, thanks seniorgeek.

To be honest, I'm not yet comfortable with wearing my weapon with the safety off.  I watched a YouTube video of a guy showing off his draw and he ended up shooting his leg.  Clint Eastwood said it best in one of his movies: "A man's got to know his limitations" so right now I'm just not yet up for it.   In time with more practice I am sure I will get there, and then eventually I also think my Shield will be a strategically placed weapon too. 

I appreciate all your comments!   I'm going to PM Etrier.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 01:20:57 PM »
Are you talking about the video with the heavy set guy with the cow boy hat?  He made a second video after the fact and that was a black hawk holster and he openly admits to making a newbie mistake of curling his trigger finger while drawing.  that cuased his finger to slip into the trigger guard firing the weapon.   
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 01:58:20 PM »
You are smart operating within your comfortable zone.

Years ago, a buddy was over showing me his FN 5.7 pistol and belt holster. He was,relatively new to guns. The 5.7 was unloaded. While he's placing the gun in and out of the holster, I notice he's wearing a windbreaker with a hanging drawstring, which is kind of in the way. When I pointed out how easy that drawstring could get hung up in the trigger guard, it was a real "aha" moment for him. Knowledge and awareness come with experience. Both can certainly be gained by reading forums like this.

I've had my German P226 for 30 years and it has no external safeties. I have no issues carrying the gun with a round chambered, but it did take awhile to get there.
New Castle County

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 02:19:47 PM »
You are smart operating within your comfortable zone.

That is what it is all about you have to be comfortable really if you are not comfortable with how and what you carry.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

lems902

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 04:30:38 PM »

To be honest, I'm not yet comfortable with wearing my weapon with the safety off. 

One of the best statement I've ever seen. I think too often people try to conform based on what others will think, and that's not a smart decision when it comes to firearms. It's has to be what your comfortable and secure with - or what's the point?  On that note I do believe that regular training designed to bring enough comfort to eliminate any potential issues is also required. If one is not comfortable with a chambered round, it has the potential to slow or even prevent a response to a threat. Carry without it, but continue working until you find you can comfortably carry that way!  Safe for manual safeties in my opinion. Carry how you're comfortable, but train to eliminate that unnecessary distraction.
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

rikwick

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 12:21:11 PM »
So I got a new Kydex OWB holster from Dave Keefer in Wilmington and I must say that after a few days use, this holster is working out just great. The first thing I noticed is that the channel where the safety rests is bigger and there is no movement of the gun at all, thus preventing any chance that the safety will engage or disengage while in the hoster.  Something else I learned too.  The cant can be adjusted another five degrees by moving one of either clips up or down. The hoster comes with a 5 degree forward cant built in, by moving just the rear belt clip down the hoster will gain another 5 degree cant, and by moving just the forward belt clip down the holster will cancel out the five degree cant making the gun straight up and down.    All in all I am very pleased with this holster and feal much more confident when I decide to carry with a round in the chamber that my safety will not move in whichever position I carry.   Not to mention Dave's excellent customer service in working with me and providing me with a holster that is very comfortable, and reasonably priced.  Dave's holsters are available at Trin Tac in Middletown.