Author Topic: denied permit renewal after having permit 8 years  (Read 11639 times)

seanbarton

denied permit renewal after having permit 8 years
« on: July 18, 2015, 01:12:13 PM »
My name is Sean. I'm new to this site. I am joining after 8 years of CCDW in Delaware. Just received a renewal denial and will be pursuing the court option to discuss the situation.

The situation:

I was sexually abused as a child. I went through phychiatric treatment in the late 90's / early 2000's. While undergoing a variety of medications meant to treat depression and anxiety I became suicidal and required treatment in hospitals twice. The state's attorney investigator, while processing my renewal, called me and specifically asked me about two incidents from 2000 and 2001 involving 911 calls made on my behalf involving suicidal ideations. I believe the whole ordeal was the result of the various medications I was prescribed. I ended up working out my issues at a place called S.O.A.R. and was able to come to grips with what had happened to me. I no longer take any medications and have been able to maintain employment at the same job going on 9 years now.

I intend on going to court over the denial and hearing what the state's attorney has to argue. I  can't believe these items where never raised as concerns during the initial permit application or the first renewal 5 years ago. Perhaps the judge will intervene and grant the permit after hearing my case. For the purpose of the apeal should I seek a phychiatric evaluation to prove I am no longer a danger to myself or others? I am also permitted in PA which I assume I will not be able to renew if the DE denial is not reversed. I was never committed to any hospitals and had checked myself in for treatment after both incidents. There is nothing else on my record.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Sean

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: denied permit renewal after having permit 8 years
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »
Sorry to hear that happened to you Sean.
I wouldn't seek a psychiatric evaluation unless the judge requests one. I would bring a lawyer.
New Castle County

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »
Sean, glad that your life is on track and it sounds like  you are in control. I also would wait until a Judge can give his/her opinions on any evaluations. I myself would seek legal advise from a gun friendly and savvy attorney. I  cannot understand why these issues were ignored when you first applied for a CCW permit. Good Luck to you and glad things are going good for you.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 07:10:46 PM »
Sean, good having you here. I have one advice, get a lawyer and the right advice you need from him/her.

seanbarton

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 12:05:22 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.  I'm going to call the NRA on Monday for a lawyer referral. I mailed my letter requesting a court date today.  I'll update when there is one.

Thanks,
SEAN

lems902

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 03:27:13 AM »
Good luck. Sounds really odd that on the 3rd round they would deny for something that had happened already during the first two rounds!  Hope you find a good attorney to help you through it.
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:57:11 PM »
As stated above... Get a lawyer. Search this forum and you should find two DE lawyers who are recommended often.

I'll also say stop asking advice online as well as all posting regarding the case. Get a lawyer and follow their advice regarding posting on Internet forums until a legal decision from the courts has been reached. As much as we all would like to know how things are progressing, it is in your best interest to simply not post anything. If you do, run it through your lawyer first.

Sorry to hear of the denial and hope it works out for you in the end. Please update us as things progress and as the lawyer OKs.

seanbarton

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 10:02:06 AM »
Good advice all. Thank you! I found great lawyer. I'll refrain from further posts until this thing is over.

Thanks,
Sean

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »
Good advice all. Thank you! I found great lawyer. I'll refrain from further posts until this thing is over.

Thanks,
Sean
Any updates on this?
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

seanbarton

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 11:49:56 PM »
Was supposed to go to court Tuesday September 29th. Received a call Monday September 28th @1300 from the court informing me the hearing was canceled and rescheduled - date tbd. So I wait.

Thanks,
Sean

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 02:14:16 AM »
Was supposed to go to court Tuesday September 29th. Received a call Monday September 28th @1300 from the court informing me the hearing was canceled and rescheduled - date tbd. So I wait.

Just wounder if this is part of the hold on the permits right now.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

seanbarton

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 10:02:17 PM »
I'm going to have quite the story to tell when I can tell it.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »
Hope things are working out for you.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 03:46:16 PM »
Stand tall and be positive.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 10:12:27 PM »
What Sturm Ruger said. Just hang in there and think positive. I hope it all works out for you.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE