Author Topic: 1911 Rocks  (Read 13830 times)

Condition 1

• Life Member
Re: 1911 Rocks
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 03:27:57 AM »
Yeah, I've looked at the Ruger Alaskan and really liked. Maybe one day when I need something more powerful for bear country. 

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 05:52:22 AM »
Or walking around in Bear...  ;D
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 10:58:51 AM »

One of the coolest things about Alaska is the selection of large guns available in gun shops.
Ruger Alaskans and other huge revolvers are sold in chain sporting goods stores. Wal-Mart has a decent selection of .454 Casull rounds. I asked the clerk at the big-box retailer if they had a 10mm Glock in stock; they had both models, and a Colt Delta Elite.

Myself, I carry 10mm walking around in Bear, in case we run into a bear.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »

One of the coolest things about Alaska is the selection of large guns available in gun shops.
Ruger Alaskans and other huge revolvers are sold in chain sporting goods stores. Wal-Mart has a decent selection of .454 Casull rounds. I asked the clerk at the big-box retailer if they had a 10mm Glock in stock; they had both models, and a Colt Delta Elite.

Myself, I carry 10mm walking around in Bear, in case we run into a bear.

I carry my 10mm around here, black bear country. I wouldn't dare to care a 10mm on brown bear country though.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 02:10:34 PM »
I know this is an older post, but as an AGI cert 1911 gunsmith, I must rebutt.  That nice looking gun he was kicking around was not intended to be reliable under those conditions.  The tolerances are much tighter than a military 1911, which would probably work under those conditions.  Pick up a military grade 1911 and shake it, it rattles.  It will probably work if dropped in the dirt, but don't expect 1/2" groups @ 25'.  It will be accurate enough to stop a bad guy, quickly.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith