Author Topic: Pennsylvania Permit  (Read 22623 times)

JonathanG

Pennsylvania Permit
« on: July 29, 2015, 08:39:35 PM »
The wife and I went up to the Lancaster Sheriff's office this morning, to get our Pa. permits. We had printed and completed the applications and photocopied our Delaware CCDW and driver's licences at home. It was a super smooth process. We were in, permits in hand, out, and back to the car in under 30 minutes. Heck, it was so fast that our three year old didn't even have time to get fussy or bored.

Tonym

Re: Pennsylvania Permit
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:42:11 PM »
Anyone ever do the mail in process for a PA permit? I work weekdays and im really not in a dire need or rush to get it asap.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:04:45 PM »
Anyone ever do the mail in process for a PA permit? I work weekdays and im really not in a dire need or rush to get it asap.

My wife and I did ours through Centre County both times, but they can't do it by mail anymore: state law requires that LTCF applications be submitted in person.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

The Sphinx

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:35:56 PM »
How far is the Lancaster sheriff office? I live in Sussex but want to go get my PA permit. Is the application on the Lancaster sheriff  office website?

JonathanG

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 10:46:15 PM »
Here is the address for the Lancaster Sheriff's Office:  50 North Duke Street, Lancaster  PA. 17602. You can google the distance from your location. I believe they open at 8:30 am. We arrived about 10:30 and it wasn't really busy at all. My wife found the application on another county's webpage. They just fill in the county when you present the application. It's 20 dollars for a 5 year permit and it has to be cash or money order, no exceptions.  Here is the application:         http://www.bedfordcountypa.org/uploads/Application_for_a_License_to_Carry_Firearms.pdf

The Sphinx

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 10:54:54 PM »
Awesome. Thank you very much sir!

JonathanG

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 11:22:43 PM »
Awesome. Thank you very much sir!

You're welcome. My sister and brother-in-law did all the leg work for us, because they went a couple of months ago. It was about 88 miles from Smyrna, if that helps out. A couple other things to mention are, you need front and back copies of both your Delaware CCDW permit and Delaware driver's license, and don't sign the application until you are in front of the  staff at the sheriff's office. I have to say that ALL the staff are extremely friendly, helpful, and courteous.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 12:38:34 AM »
I went to Lancaster to get my PA permit last year. Very easy in and out. Well worth the trip.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

The Sphinx

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 01:08:29 AM »
All the information is much appreciated. I gotta find time to make this drive lol

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:11:38 AM »
I went to Lancaster to get my PA permit last year. Very easy in and out. Well worth the trip.

I went up last summer as well. From sussex on a week day it is about a 2/2.5 hr drive. I took RT1 to 7 north into PA and turned onto RT41 up to RT 30W and straight over to Lancaster. I came back on rt896.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:16:50 AM »
 I copied this from one of my posts from last year after I got my PA permit:

And just to help out those who have not gone up there yet, be sure to:

1. make a copy of both sides of your delaware permit ( I added a copy of my DL on the same sheet) to hand in with your application and instructions sheet.

2. fill out application ahead of time but wait to sign it in front of the clerk.

3. on the instructions sheet(item 3) just print in the town/state where you live where it asks for current police agency.

4. on instructions sheet (item 4) check NO where it asks if you have previously applied. Check YES for New Application.

5. on instructions sheet (item 6) just write in the town or city and the state where you were born.

6. at the very bottom remember to sign AND print your name in the appropriate spaces.

7. keep your drivers license handy because the clerk taking your picture will ask for it.

The whole process takes place in the same room and there are about 10 seats.

Hope this helps someone. Smiley
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

sdh6k

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 11:29:41 PM »
Made the trek to Lancaster this morning from Milford. Paid the parking meter out front @ 10:22, quick stop at the restroom, then to the Sherriff's office and back in the car @ 10:40! Not sure why I waited so long.

hap_hazzard

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 07:25:31 PM »
Had to travel for work today. Was able to divert to Lancaster. Arrived at 8:50 was out the door at 9:00. The background check took 2 minutes.  The longest part was the fella typing my info in for the actual card.

There is one thing to note.  I was told that there are only 3 counties left that do the non resident permit. Lancaster as well as the others are considering discontinuing them because they have some problems with out of state folks. He did not elaborate. No timeframe was given. He said if that happens they will not do renewals either.   If you are on the fence you may get it sooner rather then later. Not trying to start a panic, just wanted to share what I was told. It will be something to keep an eye on going forward. National ccw anyone?

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »
So simply deny those folks who cause problems. Out of state permits are a source of income for those counties. I don't see that happening.
New Castle County

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 01:29:13 AM »
Maybe someone was having a bad day or just is not Pro 2A.   Question I have is when you go to PA for the non resident permit do you take your firearm with you or do you leave it at home.  Since PA law says you must have a license to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle or do you just lock up the firearm and ammo in seperate parts of the vehicle?
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God