Author Topic: Pennsylvania Permit  (Read 22621 times)

ChrisCar

Re: Pennsylvania Permit
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 01:39:26 AM »
I left mine home.  Certainly couldn't carry it on my way there cuz didn't have the permit yet.  And you can't carry into the courthouse (where the sheriff's office is).   Plus, the route I took brought me through Maryland.  Can't carry there even with DE and PA permits.  Just my opinion.
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 11:34:56 PM »
You will have to go through a metal detector and empty all of your pockets going into the court house where the Sheriff's office is. Good to go on line and get the application forms and fill them out in advanced. BUT, do not sign them until you are in front of the clerk. Pre-signed applications are not accepted. You will need you Delaware CCW permit and your Delaware Driver's license. And of course the money, cash is best.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 12:58:40 AM »
I left mine home.  Certainly couldn't carry it on my way there cuz didn't have the permit yet.  And you can't carry into the courthouse (where the sheriff's office is).   Plus, the route I took brought me through Maryland.  Can't carry there even with DE and PA permits.  Just my opinion.
Actually you may carry in your vehicle in PA with ANY permit from any state.  Just can't carry concealed outside of your vehicle without the PA license. So you most certainly could have carried on your way to Lancaster.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

ChrisCar

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 02:06:24 AM »
Actually you may carry in your vehicle in PA with ANY permit from any state.  Just can't carry concealed outside of your vehicle without the PA license. So you most certainly could have carried on your way to Lancaster.

Did not know that.  Thanks.
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 09:05:30 AM »

I second that.
I carried on the way up there as I had a valid permit from DE. Kept the handgun locked up securely, in the vehicle, during courthouse visit.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 01:07:41 PM »
Yes.  In PA code 6106 see exemption 11 below:

(11)  Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

Note this has nothing to do with the reciprocity of carry licenses.  This is a separate part of the law.  Consequently the only reason a licensed Delaware carrier needs the PA license is to carry concealed on foot. Open carry being legal in PA except in Philadrlphia. You do need a PA license to carry open or concealed in Philadelphia outside of your vehicle.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 09:28:57 PM »
Yes.  In PA code 6106 see exemption 11 below:

(11)  Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

Note this has nothing to do with the reciprocity of carry licenses.  This is a separate part of the law.  Consequently the only reason a licensed Delaware carrier needs the PA license is to carry concealed on foot. Open carry being legal in PA except in Philadrlphia. You do need a PA license to carry open or concealed in Philadelphia outside of your vehicle.

I'm guessing vehicle isn't just a car, truck or SUV but would also include a motorcycle? It's a touchy thing I'd say since when stopped at a light, etc your feet would actually be on the ground.

I'm looking to start taking my boy to PA next year for some trail riding & camping so I suppose I need to get over and pickup my permit sometime. I've been to PA once in the last 3 years so it never made sense to go get it until now.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 02:04:28 AM »
Any vehicle includes horse drawn buggy, bike, Greyhound Bus.  Just not on foot.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 12:03:41 PM »
Take it with you!!!!

Yes, I said that.
http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=222424

OR the law
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.009.013.000..HTM
(e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:00:03 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

kent

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 07:57:20 PM »
If you do not have a PA. permit (but a Permit from your home state, Delaware) can the firearm that is locked up inside the vehicle be loaded OR does the firearm have to have the ammo/mag. stored separate from the locked firearm?

My understanding is IF you have No CCDW permit from any state the ammo must be stored away from the locked firearm.

Not trying to get anal about this but the police could find a technicality for arrest.

Out of State Permit (Firearm Locked and Loaded) or Firearm Locked and No ammo within Reach)?

We need Reciprocity!
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 01:22:30 AM »
If you do not have a PA. permit (but a Permit from your home state, Delaware) can the firearm that is locked up inside the vehicle be loaded OR does the firearm have to have the ammo/mag. stored separate from the locked firearm?

My understanding is IF you have No CCDW permit from any state the ammo must be stored away from the locked firearm.

Not trying to get anal about this but the police could find a technicality for arrest.

Out of State Permit (Firearm Locked and Loaded) or Firearm Locked and No ammo within Reach)?

We need Reciprocity!
Firearm can be loaded in vehicle if you have any permit. Without a permit you may not have a handgun in your vehicle loaded or unloaded with several exceptions such as on way to range unloaded, on way to a vacation home, a few others but without a license from any jurisdiction PA is almost exactly like New Jersey or Maryland in that you cannot transport a handgun in your vehicle.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 12:04:41 AM »
Maybe this is a dumb question but I will ask anyway.   I am going to Lancaster this Friday to get my PA permit.  Would it be unwise to leave the holster on me or would it be best to just leave it in the car?  Just don't want to make the drive for nothing because I had the holster on my hip without the firearm in it.  It is an IWB holster and I am a chubby dude to it can be a bit challenging to get the holster in and out of my pants. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 01:21:17 AM »
You will be going through a metal detector when you enter the courthouse.  If it has metal, it might show up and you will have to remove it.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »
See reply #23 above.  If you want, call them and ask about checking it in.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »
I'd say take the holster off. Most holsters have some metal in them, like snaps, and belt clips. That will set off the metal detectors. Then you will have to explain why you are wearing a holster for a gun in PA. WITH NO PERMIT, valid in PA.
This could make your trip to PA. a lost cause and a charge such as this could eliminate you from not Only getting a PA. permit, but bounce back on you here in Delaware and cause you to lose your DECCW.
Why go all the way there and screw it up at the last minute. Be safe and wise. Good luck.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun