Author Topic: Dover City Parks  (Read 6948 times)

JonathanG

Dover City Parks
« on: August 05, 2015, 07:52:04 PM »
Does anyone have definitive information regarding CCDW in Dover's parks? It would appear that their ordinance predates State preemption and is valid. 

Sec. 74-24. - Dangerous weapons.
Carrying or possessing, while in any area covered by this chapter, a gun, air gun, bow and arrow, sling, dart, projectile thrower, knife with a blade more than three inches long, or any other dangerous weapon is prohibited, and nothing in this section shall be construed so as to prevent the use of target ranges, and the use of bows and arrows by park visitors on officially established archery ranges.

(Ord. of 12-8-1975, § 2(21-8.15(4), (5), 21-15); Code 1981, § 15-24)

Obleo

• Life Member
Re: Dover City Parks
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:29:48 PM »
Good question.  I know a few people that have an open carry permit issued by the Dover Chief of Police. I should read up on this question. But if you are in a hurry you can call the Dover PD and ask. My experience with them has always been positive. Would like to know myself.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

JonathanG

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 10:39:52 PM »
Good question.  I know a few people that have an open carry permit issued by the Dover Chief of Police. I should read up on this question. But if you are in a hurry you can call the Dover PD and ask. My experience with them has always been positive. Would like to know myself.

I did call the Dover PD. I had also emailed their information resource officer. Therein lies the issue. The dispatcher told me I was good in the City of Dover with my CCDW. I explained that I understood that I was good in the city limits, in general, but I wanted to make sure specifically that I was good in the parks so as not to inadvertently end up breaking the law. The dispatcher put me on hold, though I could hear him speaking with a few other people, and when he came back he told me I was good with the CCDW in the parks as well. However, the email I received back from the information request stated that there was no exemption for CCDW in the parks ordinance. The ordinance seems to predate the state wide preemption, so as of now, it looks like it's best to treat Dover parks as off limits.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:13:52 AM »
I have a Dover police chief letter and it says on the letter that I can open carry but not where prohibited. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.