Author Topic: Holster? or No Holster?  (Read 12692 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Holster? or No Holster?
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:16:45 AM »
So, I've been carrying my 9 in my purse this week (no.. not into work) and my question is with my firearm being double action should I be putting it in a holster when putting it in my purse? OR is it ok to simply tuck it in down along the side? 

I am looking for a compact firearm to replace this for summer time CCW, but until then I'm stuck lugging this thing around.  That being said, I'm just looking for things that I may be overlooking while trying to get comfy carrying it. 

I'm not 100% happy having to carry my firearm in my purse.  In fact, I'm really against it, but unless I want to dress like a lumberjack in the middle of July, I havent found an alternative to carrying in my purse.  At least until I get something very compact -- which makes me wonder about its impact or effectiveness. First, I KNOW I would not be able to grab it out of my purse quickly if I needed to.  I have figured out that I can still get to the trigger and pull it while still in the purse (yes.. firearm unloaded!). However, while I think someone would be a fool to try and snatch my purse from me -- it can happen.  OR... I could set it down for a split second while shopping and someone could pick it up... etc. 

Ugh! I am really contemplating figuring out some shirts or shorts, bikini LOL, etc for women to carry in and still be stylish!  Or maybe a purse / bag that would be an effective alternative. 

Anything you guys might be able to see or comment on that I'm missing? 

Thanks!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
Re: Holster? or No Holster?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 12:30:23 AM »
Just a quick comment, but really, carrying in the purse is one of the worst places to carry.  I know, I know -- you're limited.  But, purse snatchings happen fast and often.

And, quite honestly, sometimes compromises have to be made.  This is where you have to start with what clothes you have, and the way that you wear them.  Get a holster for where you want to carry it, and see how it works out.  Maybe it doesn't work there, or maybe you have to layer something over it.  Figure out why it doesn't work there.  Barrel too long?  Grip too long?  Grip too big?  Frame too large?

Some holsters help to smooth over (such as a pancake) the weapon, while others tend to push them out (such as a paddle).  It's trial and error -- really.  But it has to start with finding a weapon that you feel comfortable with, both in size and effectiveness.

I know that this isn't really the answer that you were looking for, but it's a start.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 12:43:12 AM »
I have to agree with corbon. Carrying a weapon is all about compromise and trial and error. My drawer is full of holsters, both cheap and expensive, that I either don't use anymore or only use if I am wearing certain clothes. As a side note.... If you decide to carry while wearing a bikini I'd bet nobody would notice the gun. :)
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:00:42 AM »
LMAO  ;D, Ok mow that my sides stopped hurting, Moosie don't know if this helps but I found this: http://www.kc3.com/editorial/womans_perspective.htm also google women's concealed carry a good bit of info out there.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 01:01:22 AM »
And while I agree a purse probably isn't the best best mode of carry its still better then nothing. Carrying in a purse does have some advantages... The gun will never print, you don't have to worry about the wind blowing your shirt tail up and it greatly reduces the risk of shotting the woman in the bathroom stall next to you.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 01:51:34 AM »
ROFL...  I promise I wont be carrying if I'm wearing a bikini. 

I know that carrying in a purse isnt the best.. right now its what Ive got.  I have a shoulder rig...  its comfy but isnt concealed well during the summer. 

Corbon, i hear ya. Most of the clothing I wear is form fitting and fairly snug.  Not painted on, but hugs my figure. Lets just say that you can see when I put my cell phone in my back pocket.  So I'm pretty limited in what I have right now that will accomodate a holster and a gun while still avoiding detection or printing.  I'm trying to work on that! 

I KNOW that the several guns I currently have will not be the best (size wise) for me to carry especially during the summer. I'm currently looking into a smaller but still adequate gun. Top consideration right now is a Glock 26. Unless someone has something else they recommend that's along these same lines.

SO... until mumu's come back in style or I find an acceptable holster/gun combo...   should my gun be in a holster while in my purse or not? 

Oh, and thanks for the link.  I think i need to park my butt on the net for a while to really dig into women and ccw/holsters, clothing, etc.

But, thanks for any info you guys come across!

Enjoy your weekend.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 04:29:15 AM »
SO... until mumu's come back in style or I find an acceptable holster/gun combo...   should my gun be in a holster while in my purse or not? 

Yes.  First, it will help protect the finish.  Second, it will greatly reduce the chance of an accidental discharge.  Third, it will provide a stationary position for the weapon to ride in.   
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 09:14:33 AM »
I would look into a purse made for ccw for all the obvious reasons.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 11:28:07 AM »
Good points, Corbon. 

Sig, I'm not investing that kind of money in an expensive purse to carry my gun in it when I dont want it in there in the first place! LOL  I did a lot of reading last night regarding carrying a larger gun (I've got the SW 9VE and SW40V) and got a lot of good info.

I thought that the small of my back was where I wanted to carry it. Not anymore! I will have a holster to carry there in the event that I'm really limited to carrying there, but my preference is going to be on my hip preferably in a pancake holster (well.. until I can try it out there thats my choice). 

I have plenty of shorts that will allow me to wear a belt to support a pancake holster (or tuckable or IWB, etc) and I've got enough jackets etc that I can experiment with (might have to find some cute vests or something) and I'll go from there.

I now am in awe at some of the folks I know who are carrying and I just cant find it on them... this is harder than it looks! Now I know why a certain bunch of "homies" simply wear baggy pants and oversized T's! ROFL!!   Of course they just shove it down the front of their underwear too....  yummy.  Schmegma build up in the barrell can't be good! 

Its onto ebay to find some good holsters to experiment with...   

Thanks, guys.  Your feedback, experience, and comments always welcome!! We should all meet for dinner some night. 

Moosie

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »
Herea a thought mossie, buy one of the cheap holsters such as a don hume IWB and either use it as is or see if you can alter it to make it work better in your purse. You may be able to find a way to affix it in your purse so that the gun always has the same presentation for you.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 12:59:51 PM »
I have not carried in my purse for a while now so I am not up on the latest info.  Here is a web site that caters to women's issues for concealed carry and they address carrying in a purse.  The first link is to the main page, the second link is to carrying in a purse.

http://www.corneredcat.com/

http://www.corneredcat.com/Holster/purse.aspx

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 02:58:59 PM »
Thanks.  The cornered meow is one of the sites I was reading last night.  I think I'm going to just have to start with some cheaper holsters to see if thats the style I want and then go from there. 

I dont mind spending some dough on something Im going to use daily as long as its THE holster. 

Thanks again for your help and info, guys. 

Sig, if I ever get the bikini holster put together, I'll be sure to post a pic.   ;D

Moosie