Author Topic: New to DE and already forsee issue's  (Read 12351 times)

LostM

New to DE and already forsee issue's
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:57:49 PM »
  I see an issue with having 5 references.

The ability to legally protect myself and my family is the main reason DE is on the top of a short list of states to call home. Not being able to do that for over a year simply because Im new to the area is not ideal.

Possible options:
1.Any chance DE is Veteran friendly and would bypass the reference part for a specific situation ( USMC/Army DD214's)  or even current civilian (private security) contractor for DHS? ( i realize im not the first to encounter this)

2.Obtain a Utah CCW from my local range in NJ

I also just read something about obtaining a Drivers Abstract to submit with application, I assume that would be a good idea to streamline the process
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 10:41:00 PM by LostM »

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: New to DE and already forsee issue's
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 11:16:17 PM »
Long story short,  prior USMC, current Army (done in a few months/not retiring, just done); Moving from NJ to DE ( Kent County).  I see an issue with having 5 references.   I know only 1 person in DE and they are not local to my new place.

The ability to legally protect myself and my family is the main reason DE is on the top of a short list of states to call home. Not being able to do that for over a year simply because Im new to the area is not ideal.

Possible options:
1.Any chance DE is Veteran friendly and would bypass the reference part for a specific situation ( USMC/Army DD214's)  or even current civilian (private security) contractor for DHS? ( i realize im not the first to encounter this)

2.Obtain a Utah CCW from my local range in NJ

I also just read something about obtaining a Drivers Abstract to submit with application, I assume that would be a good idea to streamline the process

The references are not an optional thing at all I am a veteran and that was not even a question that is asked on the application.   You also need your home state CC permit to get an out of state permit at least that is my understanding of the laws I have read. I thought there was someone else on here that had that same issue.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 11:27:05 PM »
If you have a Delaware driver's license, the only permit that would allow you to carry is a DE CCDW. There are no exceptions.
If you lived in any other state, a Utah permit would be valid when visiting Delaware, but Delaware residents can't use an out-of-state permit to carry here.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 11:30:52 PM »
You can open carry immediately except in Dover.  Dover OC available by writing letter to Dover Police Chief.  For additonal OC details and discussion, check out www.deloc.org.  For CC, we're happy to help.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

LostM

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 12:12:59 AM »
I figured that was the case, on all accounts.

The rest of the process seems rather straight forward. I guess the 5 person reference is going to be the largest snag.   I work OCONUS just as much if not more than CONUS, so I dont even know how to begin to meet new people that can vouch for me.

Not even sure how to go about meeting people that would be ok with being asked. Its not like im in school or do any social events other than car racing.  Maybe Ill have to find some IPSC or IDPA matches and get to know people.

But is it true there is a time-frame that they are looking for? I just read another guys issue about "1 year" of references, but no where in the law does it state a time limit. Is that a "catch-all" they use to deny requests?

Forgive me if im thinking too much into this, i may be thinking DE is like NJ, is it?

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 12:38:56 AM »
I figured that was the case, on all accounts.

The rest of the process seems rather straight forward. I guess the 5 person reference is going to be the largest snag.   I work OCONUS just as much if not more than CONUS, so I dont even know how to begin to meet new people that can vouch for me.

Not even sure how to go about meeting people that would be ok with being asked. Its not like im in school or do any social events other than car racing.  Maybe Ill have to find some IPSC or IDPA matches and get to know people.

But is it true there is a time-frame that they are looking for? I just read another guys issue about "1 year" of references, but no where in the law does it state a time limit. Is that a "catch-all" they use to deny requests?

Forgive me if im thinking too much into this, i may be thinking DE is like NJ, is it?

Time for another forum get-together?
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

LostM

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 12:42:17 AM »
I like the way you think :)

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 02:19:39 AM »

[/quote]

Let's do it
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 11:19:47 AM »
I'm with oldgray on this!
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »
Welcome! (And thank for your service)

As others said, if you change you drivers license to DE, you need DE CCDW to conceal.

UT (I believe), you must have home state before they issue.  I dont know if they
feel the PRofNJ is an issuing state or not.  You'd have to call BCI UT.

AZ WILL issue a permit to you W/O having home state permit.  If the 214 has pistol
qualification on it, they should accept that.  I'd look on their web site.  If we get that
meet n' greet going, I'll bring a packet for AZ with me or you can contact them for one.
There will be 2 finger print cards in the packet.  BOTH need to be completed.  Prints
do NOT have to be done by the police.  If we get the meet n' greet going, I'll bring the
printing kit (REMIND ME).
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »

Let's do it
[/quote]
count us in
New Castle County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 11:36:02 PM »
LostM, email in bound.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 03:21:20 AM »
So where would everyone like to have a meet up?    Are there any Vapers in the group?
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 11:43:28 AM »
So we dont hijack this thread, new post in the clubhouse section.

ChrisCar

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »
I was in your shoes last year.  I sent you a direct message.  Give me a call. 
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member